Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama wins US election

Good on him. I hope he can do some good.
    I'm just worried about all the rednecks, I betcha they ain't happy.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

now if only all the money spent on this election would have gone to a better cause, like poverty, then many more of the problems in the world would be solved, unlike the one small problem that has been solved...

Obama certainly gave a great victory speech, acknowledging Americans of all creed and background. I'm kinda envious of how charged up the ones who are partying tonight are, lets hope he lives up to his promises and when his no longer the President leaves the world a better place.

I think it's ironic, that perhaps George W Bush's greatest legacy may be making it possible for Obama to win the presidency, while I'm not trying to undermine Obama's credentials I doubt he would have won such a convincing victory, or drawn such massive voter turnout, had George W not been so unpopular.

I loke forward to George W's memoirs entitled, "How I sunk the republican Party and almost sunk America"

McCain was gracious and a gentleman in defeat. McCain had a hard battle to fight - after so many years of Bush I think many Americans have become disillusioned with the Republican party.

Also a belated nod to Stephen Harper for his re-election as Canadian Prime Minister last month. That's what I'm talking aboot!

Though it wasn't my intention, I ended up following this at Jaydisc's today and I found ironically as one of the commentators said that this was one of those days you would remember where you were when Barack Obama became president and I found myself grinning as Jaydisc's kid wreaked havoc across the lounge room, crush the antenna and crush my newly acquired Transformer figures. Boy, I'll remember this day for some time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I think it's ironic, that perhaps George W Bush's greatest legacy may be making it possible for Obama to win the presidency, while I'm not trying to undermine Obama's credentials I doubt he would have won such a convincing victory, or drawn such massive voter turnout, had George W not been so unpopular.
    I agree with that assessment entirely. I mean, if you put things into perspective, Bush's approval rating was below 15% IIRC. This was only ever going to be an election that the Democrats could lose

I like McCain's speech too surprisngly. It wasn't one of those woe to us, we did great speeches, it was concessional and sincerely recognised Obama's achievement. I hope he keeps to his word and works with Obama as much as he can moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    now if only all the money spent on this election would have gone to a better cause, like poverty, then many more of the problems in the world would be solved, unlike the one small problem that has been solved...
    That's a debate I've had w/ my gf and a few mates. To bring about change, you need someone with real credentials and inspires people to change. You have to spend that money to show what you value, to prove that its something you're willing to spend on.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that while Obama's speech was being made, there were plenty of homeless people who just wouldn't have given a $%#. And that's what I found myself thinking of while I watched today at Jaydisc's joint. I didn't want to spoil the expectant mood but what I think we need to see is how this pans out.

Obama arguably one of the most brilliant orators I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. If you look at the mechanics of his speech, it's really public speaking101. But his delivery, his appearance is what defines him. He carries that confidence, that hope.

The real test lies ahead though and not in his speeches. Obama is a voice of change but there is a machine in place in America, a machine that's to used to running the way it has been for so long, a stale machine that needs to be rejuvenated and there can be no mistake about how big the task ahead is for Obama. But of all the candidates, he's the one I'd have faith in to lead the way.

In all though it did make me feel a bit sad to be Australian. We haven't had a transformational leader like this. Ever. One that could inspire the people and move us forward on a united front.

- Bob Hawke = right...
    - Paul Keating = ...
    - John Howard = the antithesis to everything Obama represents, a divisive and petty conservative
    - Kevin Rudd = trying but just doesn't cut the mustard as transformational, his speech writer is excellent but his delivery lacks the punch and belief, far too clinical
    - (Potentiallly) Malcolm Turnball = smug, arrogant upper class business men who might be extremely competent but will never really inspire us.

And w/ the types involved in Australian politics, I doubt we'll have one which is a pity really. But then again, hopefully we'll never get into a situation as bad as the US and need leaders like those
    Last edited by STL; 5th November 2008 at 11:41 PM.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

the world is gonna end in 2010-2012 does it really matter? Obama gonna have to fight the new Iran-Russia maybe pact
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    You know I was rooting for her!

She reminds me of Sally Fields when she was younger.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

The only reason I was mildly interested in this was because of...

I give him 6 months before one of the many redneck, gun-toting, white supremists take hime out. They would be seething right now, having their sacred symbol (the presidency) tainted by that which they most hate (blacks, who are seen as little more than animals in their mind). There'll be a rush on which white supremist group is first to 'save the nation' by removing their new black 'master'.
    The secret service are sure gonna be busy...

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    ... gun-toting ...

North Melbourne-bot...?