Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers Armada - reloaded.

Default Transformers Armada - reloaded.

For those yet to see Armada, or all of it, there are spoilers in here.

I got the entire Unicron trilogy (Armada, Energon, Cybertron) in the mail last week, and have started watching them from start to finish. I don't think I missed any Armada episodes first time around, but I do know I missed a few Energon episodes, because it was so boring.
    That said, the next few weeks will be condensing about 4 years worth of Transformers for me, and I wanted to share, and get your comments and opinions too. And if anyone else has the series on DVD, have a re-watch and add your own comments as well.

Armada was another tangent for Transformers, like Beast Wars and Robots in Disguise before it. I remember seeing the first episode at BotCon 2002, as an advance sneak peek (they had only finished recording the voices the day before, and hadn't yet done the opening and closing credits). They also gave out a free deluxe toy and a free Minicon pack for each at the screening dinner. That advance release of the toys made those Armada figures more special for me, and drew me into Armada more than most other series did.

That special bond aside, the cartoon itself was a bit of a let down.

Most longtime (older) fans were a bit put off by the whole kiddie 'pokemon' theme to it - having to race around, hunting for Minicons. In some ways, Armada had a younger theme than Animated does, and which attracted the same responce by a lot of longtime (older) fans.

But it was a new series, and new concept, that led to a huge resurgence in Transformers as a whole, even though the cartoon itself appears to have been rushed. Or at least, the English dub of the cartoon, as it is riddled with errors. Mostly from different writers translating the episodes and not coordinating with the other writers.

The cartoon also utilises a LOT of stock footage, to reduce the workload on the animators.

I'm actually finding it more fun watching it 6 years later, probably because there isn't the big gap between each episode of a weekly screening. This way, the not-too-exciting cartoon isn't as drawn out, and I get to see more plot in a much shorter period of time.

Okay, I won't be doing reviews or anything too lengthy. Just some notes on each episode, that I have jotted down while having the episodes playing as I'm on the computer. Actually, with very little happening in each episode, the brief descriptions I give cover the main plot anyway.

Armada was just one season of 52 episodes, but was released in 2 parts with 26 episodes to each part, on four discs. It was still labelled 'season one' though, despite being the only season.

------

Season 1, Part 1, Disc 1, Episodes 1-7.

1 - First Encounter
    Basic Introduction of human characters and story premise.
    Intro - Rad, Carlos, Alexis, Fred, Billy, Highwire, Megatron, Optimus Prime/Super Optimus.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -The narration of the openning back-story doesn't match the animation. The story has the war ending and the Minicons leaving, but the animation shows the war raging right until they leave.
    -Difficult to believe that the Decepticons would have agreed to banishing the Minicons and their power.
    -Just how much Cybertronian 'junk' has managed to crash on Earth, this one small planet in the universe, throughout all the history of Transformers?

Minicon count:
    Autobots (1) - Highwire.
    Decepticons (0) - (none).

2 - Metamorphosis
    Introduction of main primary TFs characters.
    Intro - Hotshot, Red Alert, Starscream, Cyclonus, Demolishor, Leader-1, Sureshot, Grindor.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Of all the hundreds of Minicons, Megatron just happens to find the one he was once paired with.
    -Why would Decepticons, or Autobots even, have been partnered to one Minicon, if they are tools to be used and swapped at will?
    -It was a mistake having the Minicons only communicating by beeps. It created inconsistency with how the kids understood them, and made it more confusing for the younger (and older) viewers.

Minicon count:
    Autobots (3) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor.
    Decepticons (1) - Leader-1.

3 - Base
    Introductions amongst the cast, Laserbeak given to the kids.
    Intro - Jolt, Longarm, Crumplezone (animation error?), Blackout, Laserbeak.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -I think the Minicon panel Cyclonus found, contained Blackout, and it was an animation error to have Crumplezone sitting on his shoulder while Blackout is being released. Because only one Minicon panel was recovered, and in the next episode, Cyclonus comments that he doesn't yet have one.
    -If all Minicons are powerful, why doesn't anyone use Highwire, Sureshock and Grindor, or try to capture them? The cartoon strictly follows the toys pairings, as if each TF is only genetically compatable to a particular Minicon. And as such, certain TFs seem to be conveniently finding their old Minicons from thousands of years ago.
    -The Autobot base is the remnants of the crashed Minicon Ship, but is in really good condition. The Decepticons are using the Minicon wreck on the Moon as their base, which is really trashed.
    -The kids are given uniforms... what for?
    -Optimus isn't very convincing in differenciating between the way Autobots and Decepticons would 'use' the Minicons for their war.

Minicon count:
    Autobots (5) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm.
    Decepticons (3) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout.

4 - Comrade
    Hunt and release of Sparkplug in a giant canyon.
    Intro - Sparkplug, Perceptor.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Jolt and Longarm were introduced last episode, but don't even appear to exist yet in this episode.
    -Cyclonus says he doesn't yet have a Minicon, but had Crumplezone sitting on his shoulder in the last episode.
    -Sparkplug is called Leader-1 by Optimus and Rad.
    -Optimus also 'miraculously' manages to find the one minicon that he used to be partnered with. What are the odds of that happening, yet again?
    -Hotshot is called Hotrod.
    -Hotshot is trapped in car mode between boulders, but could have transformed to get out.
    -Megatron 'introduces' his Minicon (again), as if it was not revealed or used before.
    -Hotshot uses his front grabber claws without a Minicon, but it's the gimmick that requires a Minicon to activate.

Minicon count:
    Autobots (6) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug.

5 - Soldier
    Hunt and retrieval of Jetstorm in Antarctica.
    Intro - Prime's trailer command base, Jetstorm (not yet able to be released from its panel)
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -The much colder deep space doesn't affect these guys, but the cold of the antarctic freezes up Optimus Prime's systems.
    -Starscream should have transformed and grabbed the Minicon when he saw it, if he was that desperate for one, but flies off and fights Hotshot.
    -Starscream can fly in robot mode, but has to hold onto the cliff-face, and falls into the crevas when knocked off.

Minicon count:
    Autobots (7) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, (Jetstorm).

6 - Jungle
    Hunt and release of Swindle in a forest. Starscream's treachery is more open now that he has a Minicon.
    Intro - Swindle.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Sparkplug is called Leader-1 by Red Alert.
    -Starscream is again mentioned as being the only Decepticon without a Minicon, so maybe Cyclonus does already have Crumplezone, and the discovery of Blackout's panel was not shown.
    -Starscream names his Minicon, as if it isn't even sentient and has a name of its own.
    -Episode has a big green/environmental message, with emphasis on protecting the forests and protecting the earth.
    -Each Minicon is 'awakening' one at a time, but should all be coming online at the same time. Very convenient for the 'one per episode' structure.

Minicon count:
    Autobots (7) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, (Jetstorm).
    Decepticons (4) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle.

7 - Carnival
    Minicons at a carnival attract unwanted attention.
    Intro - none.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Swindle is called Grid by Starscream, which is the Japanese name.
    -No actual conflict between TFs, but focusses on the human kids for the kiddy viewers.

Minicon count:
    Decepticons (4) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle.
    Last edited by griffin; 6th February 2009 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    But it was a new series, and new concept, that led to a huge resurgence in Transformers as a whole, even though the cartoon itself appears to have been rushed. Or at least, the English dub of the cartoon, as it is riddled with errors. Mostly from different writers translating the episodes and not coordinating with the other writers.
    Armada was trashed by the horrific dubbing. I've seen both Armada and Micron Legend - Micron Legend isn't a terrific series, but it's noteably better than Armada. I have no idea if there are any subtitled versions (fan made or official) out there. Overall as far as Armada canon is concerned I much prefer the comics.

When I listen to interviews with voice actors you can always tell that working on dubbing just isn't as fun for them as doing regular cartoon acting. It's just so restrictive on their art that they can barely get any "acting" done; I think it's reasonable to say that a lot of actors don't consider doing dubs as true voice-acting (or at best, it's very restricted voice-acting). But as Neil Kaplan (RiD Prime) once said, dubbing Optimus Prime is an easier job because he doesn't have a moving mouth to lip-sync to! There is still some voice-synching/timing required but I imagine it would be a lot easier than dubbing characters who do have mouthes.

i have the entire Armada collection and some energon

its really to painful to watch them all, i just skipped to the Ferox Unicron battles and avoided Energon after the very first episode

Griffin please don't do this to me , it's too unbearable.....

I strongly dislike the series, for things such as using the adjectives 'moron' & 'idiot' in cartoons, the English dub just tries to hard, too many bad elements in each episode
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

ive never seen Armada, only seen glimpses of Energon during the Cartoon network run - like only 5 random episodes. Much of Cybertron Ive watched online via Hasbro website.

Erm where do you get the complete DVD copies of it from Griff? Armada - Cyb.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Season 1, Part 1, Disc 2, Episodes 8-14.

8 - Palace
    Hunt and release of Bonecrusher in an underground Egyptian temple.
    Intro - Bonecrusher.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Jolt is called Grindor by Hotshot.
    -Demolishor sinks into the sand and requests for help. Why not just warp out of it?
    -Red Alert and Hotshot defy Optimus as if he wasn't in complete command, and head off after the kids.
    -Mechanical droids on guard, created by an *ancient* civilisation.
    -Demolishor refers to the Minicon as 'my own Minicon', as if he doesn't already have one.

Minicon count:
    Decepticons (5) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher.

9 - Confrontation
    Fred & Billy are taken hostage.
    Intro - none.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Why is Rad pedalling, when he is trying to escape Cyclonus while on Highwire?
    -The kids can't understand Leader-1, who should speak the same as their own Minicons.
    -Optimus uses the Minicons as bargaining chips to save the kids, suggesting that he doesn't value their lives at all. Optimus claimed that they didn't use them as tools, and yet doesn't treat them as fellow team members, giving them up very easily.

Minicon count:
    Decepticons (5) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher.

10 - Underground
    Hunt and release of Drillbit in the city subway system.
    Intro - Smokescreen, Drillbit.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -The Decepticons send off their Minicons on their own, but they don't try to escape. Either they are re-programmed, choose to be loyal to the Decepticons, or aren't really sentient.
    -Cyclonus releases Longarm, but it should have been Bonecrusher (animation error)
    -Bonecrusher is temporarily replaced by Crumplezone while chasing the kids (animation error).
    -Laserbeak doesn't speak? Maybe it's meant to be a drone.
    -Smokescreen refers to the 'warpgate' to get to Earth, so why are they repairing the Minicon ship to return to Cybertron?
    -Cyclonus is first to use the word 'powerlink'.

Minicon count:
    Decepticons (6) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit.

11 - Ruin
    Hunt and retrieval of Sonar in an underwater city, said to be Atlantis.
    Intro - Sonar (not yet released from its panel)
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Smokescreen is called Hotshot by Optimus.
    -Kids say Optimus can't fire while in truck mode, but then uses his guns to blast open the door to the main temple.
    -Alexis is way too 'narrator-ish' in explaining stuff for the audience/kiddies.
    -Leader-1 and Bonecrusher attack Perceptor at Megatron's command.
    -Details of the Star Saber are shown, and a silhouet of the Skyboom Shield.
    -Sonar appears on the Autobot's computer screen, but how do they know that that Minicon was in the panel Megatron captured?

Minicon count:
    Decepticons (7) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, (Sonar).

12 - Prehistory
    Hunt and retrieval of Runway on an island.
    Intro - Runway (not yet released from its panel)
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Megatron wonders why Sonar won't come out of the panel, but knew in the last episode that he needed the other two first.
    -They refer to themselves as Transformers. I would think they would refer to themselves as Cybertronians instead.
    -The story about the Minicons leaving Cybertron is different to the first episode. This time the Minicons chose to leave during the war, instead of the Autobots and Decepticons having a truce and banishing the Minicons to save Cybertron. This new version doesn't explain why some Minicons align themselves to the Decepticons, and doesn't explain how all the ones partnered to Decepticons willingly somehow left with all the other Minicons by choice. And if it was by choice, why do they join the Decepticons willingly now?
    -Jetfire (silhouet) is called Thrust by Optimus, which is a really bad mistake because he puts him in command while gone to Earth, and that could confuse viewers.
    -Optimus once again says the Minicons are their friends, but was very willing to hand them over to Megatron as mere pawns when the kids were in trouble. He still has trouble justifying their usage of the Minicons as weapons, without criticising the Decepticons for doing the same.
    -The time between the Minicons departure of Cybertron and present day is now 4 million years, instead of thousands of years, as mentioned in an earlier episode.
    -Now everyone is saying 'powerlink' when a Minicon plugs in.
    -Sonar is able to be forced from its panel by Megatron.

Minicon count:
    Autobots (8) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, (Jetstorm), (Runway).
    Decepticons (7) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, Sonar.

13 - Swoop
    The Decepticons find the Autobot base and break in to retrieve Jetstorm and Runway.
    Intro - Jetstorm and Runway released from their panels.
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -Cyclonus is flying with Blackout attached.
    -The Decepticons are learning the Minicon language, as if they have never met them before.
    -Fred & Billy are left on their own in their first visit to the Autobot Base.
    -Megatron's horns extend like stretchy rubber to grab Hotshot.
    -Cyclonus crashes while trying to transform, and the next shot has Demolishor grabbing his head in pain.
    -Too much talking before the fighting really drags out the action, stalling momentum.
    -Hotshot is given the Star Saber to look after. The weakest Autobot given the 'most powerful sword in the universe'.

Minicon count:
    Autobots (9) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.
    Decepticons (6) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit.

14 - Overmatch
    Hunt and release of Liftor in some mountains, and a Race Minicon near a beach.
    Intro - Scavenger, Liftor, Mirage or Downshift (not released from its panel).
    Errors/confusion/notes:
    -The VA for Demolishor messed up a line, mixing words around, and the Voice Director must have missed it.
    -Hotshot is getting cocky with his new powerful Star Saber, showing off all the time.
    -Smokescreen is another one who gives a name to his Minicon as if it doesn't already have a name.
    -Scavenger wears a huge cloak, but why? Megatron recognised him, and Optimus knows him. Who is he hiding his form from?
    -Scavenger easily finds a Minicon, without anyone else detecting it. And why is it yellow, compared to all others being green? Even if it is a defensive Minicon, it is still just a Minicon like all the others.
    -Scavenger starts off working with the Decepticons, which would lead viewers to think he is a Decepticon if they didn't know about the toys.

Minicon count:
    Autobots (10) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Liftor.
    Decepticons (7) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, (Mirage/Downshift).
    Last edited by griffin; 6th February 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Fred and Billy! That's their names. I always think of them i my head as "Bulk and Skull" (although the personalities are reversed from that pair).

Only another 20 or so episodes before the show starts to improve Griffin, hold on, you can make it!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Season 1, Part 1, Disc 2, Episodes 8-14.

-Optimus uses the Minicons as bargaining chips to save the kids, suggesting that he doesn't value their lives at all. Optimus claimed that they didn't use them as tools, and yet doesn't treat them as fellow team members, giving them up very easily.

maybe their is more depth to this cartoon then previously thought? Optimus grappling with the hardships of war, such as using the minicons as tools of war etc etc like the idea General Halo put to Prime in the Dreamwave comics, sometimes solidiers have to be sacrificed for victory.

im sure a high school english teacher would point out this observation

As for the name stuff ups, was this retconned in one of the exclusive collector club comics? Saying it was the black hole effecting the cartoon universe?

im still mad that David Kaye and Gorrilla Chalk just used the same old voices from iconic beast characters for this cartoon, not even a slight change in their voice