Page 587 of 1042 FirstFirst ... 567577582583584585586587588589590591592597607 ... LastLast
Results 5,861 to 5,870 of 10411

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Quote Originally Posted by Iriorne View Post
    I think they would almost certainly be using CAD in the design stages and probably 3D printing for prototypes. The quick turnaround times and relatively low cost would make these pretty attractive. CAD would be useful for optimising your parts sprues too.

Wikipedia says injection moulding dies are produced through CNC machining or electrical discharge machining. While not toy specific, I don't see why toy moulds wouldn't be made in the same manner - probably faster, cheaper and more consistent than other methods.

Replacing a mould designed this way would probably be fairly easy to do, though the cost of replacing them in the quantities required for large scale runs would still be quite high.
    I'd suggest that you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. CAD can be used to ensure proper tolerances clearances between parts and for analysis to ensure it will all fold up neatly. Designing modern transformers with just 2D drawings and hand made prototypes would be nearly impossible and prohibitively expensive, given the time it would take.

design and manufacture of the tooling would definitely be one of the biggest expenses in toy manufacture, just like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    for the MISB collectors, how do you know that everything's inside and if there are missing parts or QC issues? This is for boxed toys like Encore Fort Max, MP Lambor and the like.

I ask because I just want to check the contents of the box and I do want to keep it MISB
    I would suggest taking it on an interational flight as carry on baggage and hoping to get a glimpse of the screen when they pass it through the x-ray machine. this has the added advantage of potentially being a trip to Botcon...

Quote Originally Posted by drahsrebu View Post
    FE Bulkhead or TFPRID Bulkhead?
    I've only ever seen the TFPrid bulkhead in a box on the shelf, I don't like the flap at the back. The FE bulkhead I have, it's a good transformation and I think it looks great in both modes, the fist rotation to fit the wrecking ball can also double as his inbuilt arm blasters. I'm a bit confused by other commets, I thought FE bulkhead was the more screen accurate version of the toy.

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    I'm at that point now, and about tho ship my loot. I understand that I have to pay customs' import tax if it exceeds $1000, but is that price ceiling referring to the total cost of the import (i.e. $900 + $100 shipping) or the total cost of items with shipping separate from the total cost (i.e. $1000 + shipping)?
    the largest POL I've ever shipped worked out to be just over 1K, before shipping cost, I didn't recieve any charges but I've made sure since then that it comes in under 1K.

@gok, depending on how much you order, you should look at the different shipping options, as the cheapest option will change depending on the weight of what you're shipping. PM me for my number if you want to discuss in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    It can be addictive......
    I don't know what you're talking about, I can stop any time I want.

My Question:
    I get the impression that the Kreo Micro changer combiners are available in Australia at the moment, what shops are carrying them and how much are they selling for? I've only seen the single packs.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

when you pre-order from any of these internet company's like big bad toy store and robotkingdom do u pay for it up front or only when it comes into stock?

Quote Originally Posted by iamirondude View Post
    when you pre-order from any of these internet company's like big bad toy store and robotkingdom do u pay for it up front or only when it comes into stock?
    RK upfront
    BBTS when its in stock. Online retailers vary, best to have a look in their Ts & Cs

thanks for the help sinnertwin

Quote Originally Posted by Iriorne View Post
    A bit more information from Whirlpool suggests that shipping is not included in calculating the $1000 threshold.

I'd still be inclined to play it safe though, as customs do not necessarily use the declared value of goods. They may conduct their own valuation which could come up higher, especially if they use Australian retail prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    Yeah I played it safe. I ended up shipping that particular order just before the total hit the $1k mark, but it meant I had some pre-orders still to come. They then formed the base of my next order that I stopped at about the $500 mark.

It can be addictive......
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    the largest POL I've ever shipped worked out to be just over 1K, before shipping cost, I didn't recieve any charges but I've made sure since then that it comes in under 1K.
    Thanks for the research and insightful feedback guys! It's good to know where I stand before shipping. My original plan was to wait until MMC Hexatron was out before shipping that and the upcoming FP pre-orders -- making a total of $996.89USD! Will just have to leave it for my second loot now. Also, to request for BBTS to cite the declared value in AUD on the day of shipment.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Where can I find a list of TF toys release schedule for USA/overseas? I'm going overseas in late Sept/early Oct so I'm wondering which toys are being released overseas that aren't being released here between now and then (i.e. which toys I should wait and try to find overseas rather than jumping the gun and ordering online).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Thanks for the research and insightful feedback guys! It's good to know where I stand before shipping. My original plan was to wait until MMC Hexatron was out before shipping that and the upcoming FP pre-orders -- making a total of $996.89USD! Will just have to leave it for my second loot now. Also, to request for BBTS to cite the declared value in AUD on the day of shipment.
    996 is under 1K, and the aussie dollar has been at or above parity for a couple years now, I wouldn't worry about getting them to state value in Australian dollars, I've never asked for it. I'd wait for your hexatron and make the most out of the shipment.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

A couple of stickers on my Encore Fort Max are pealing. Whats a good way to fix stickers that peal?

I use superglue on any problem (or really old) stickers... I just don't see why I'd ever remove them in the future. Just make sure it isn't a glue that melts plastic though (clashing chemical compounds), so test it in a hidden spot first and use it sparingly.

If you ever intend to take off the stickers in the future (with lighter fluid or some other solvent), you'll need to use something else.

So i kinda missed the whole Unicron Trilogy.... I started watching Armada a while back and it was a little painful to see. Is it worth slogging it out and watching the whole series, or maybe just wiki it and read about it instead