Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homework Help!

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks
    Certain courses at UWS allow you to use Wikipedia as a secondary resource, it's a bad precedent.
    I've heard that certain courses at UWS are also allowing students to enrol in a course if they pay additional fees in lieu of gaining the UAI cut off mark to get into the course, which - again from what I'm hearing from some students there - is "dumbing down" the course and university. (-_-)

The entire point of having a UAI cut off is to ensure that students are capable of doing the course, demonstrated by prior academic achievement. Paying extra cash doesn't make you smarter! I could understand a university maybe making allowances for a student who missed the UAI cut off and made an appeal on special grounds, and in that case maybe the university were to offer them a chance to academically prove themselves capable before then allowing them to enrol in the actual course of choice. Say for example, you missed out on the required UAI for medicine, but maybe you come from a disadvantaged background - so you made an appeal. I could understand if the university allowed you to do first year Bachelor of Science (biochem major) demanding a credit average, after which they would then allow the student to enrol into 1st year med - because then the student would have academically proven themselves.

But money?! Academically speaking that proves squat. (-_-) And from what I'm hearing, a lot of tutorials are increasingly getting bogged down with students who waste everyone else's time with simple questions or comments that doesn't serve to further the discussion of the tut topic - questions that these students are asking because they consistently fail to understand lectures, texts etc. In effect, these sub-standard students are wasting everyone else's time and money.

P.S.: Speaking of UWS, these individual UWS main campuses really need to become separate universities or colleges. The idea of a university whose main campuses cover side a wide area from Richmond to Macarthur is a joke. I know a law student who enrolled at UWS Parramatta because she lives near Parramatta and wanted to study somewhere close to home. Her course has now been moved to the Macarthur campus this year which means that she now has to travel from home all the way to Campbelltown each day! What a joke! All other universities have their primary campus located in/around the same locale... UWS, as a supposed single university, is far too spread out, especially if they're planning on running the same course across different campuses.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 11th February 2008 at 08:05 PM.

i remember that simpsons episode where homer wants to be like Edison and they go to the Edison Museum.

Wink Simpsons = Very Funny

Quote Originally Posted by omega3 View Post
    i remember that simpsons episode where homer wants to be like Edison and they go to the Edison Museum.
    LOL i remember that one was a very funny episode! (most episodes are funny though)

Anyway sort of back on topic,benben you shouldnt ask other people to do it for you (like people said previously) the whole point is doing it yourself.

hey benben, also one more thing...

use some common sense (though I haven't really look it up at all), why do you think YOU need light? answer that and you should be heading the right direction~

can't answer it, God help you!

Wikipedia is a excellent starting point for learning about a topic as it provides a fairly quick overview of the subject and will usually link to further external reading and references. It's not good enough to reference or for anything too technical though.

edison was that guy in the initial D movie.......
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    Wikipedia is a excellent starting point for learning about a topic as it provides a fairly quick overview of the subject and will usually link to further external reading and references. It's not good enough to reference or for anything too technical though.
    yeah, what he said. I do that all the time when researching stuff or just wanting to find out the answer to something that is bugging me - I do a quick search at wiki.com and from the first few suggested pages, I see where their source links goto at the bottom of each wiki page.
    If they don't have credible source links or reference actual texts, then it isn't reliable enough to accept, or use for an assignment.
    It's a good starting point for some basic info, but follow the links or texts to get your assignment info.

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron
    In other words, not good for any real serious research.

As with any form of research make sure that you use more than one independent source of information (I would recommend at least three sources), and don't forget to cite your sources in your bibliography so that your audience (teacher) can cross-check the authenticity of your facts (or at least find out where you got the information from and see how accurately you've presented them)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I've heard that certain courses at UWS are also allowing students to enrol in a course if they pay additional fees in lieu of gaining the UAI cut off mark to get into the course, which - again from what I'm hearing from some students there - is "dumbing down" the course and university. (-_-)
    Dont get me started on UWS, one of the (many) reasons my gf quit teaching was because they moved the course from Kingswod to Bankstown, and all the classes to 5pm starts. Meaning a whole group of young women would have to be around Bankstown after 7pm, not a great proposition.
    UWS also dropped a Digital Animation Degree I had applied for, but luckily UNE picked it up and was nice enough to give the UWS people the option to do the course via correspondence based in their Sydney office.

Then there is the whole Nirimba debacle.

It amazes me the good links some Wiki pages/topics have, yet others link to blogs and other such crap.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

It's ridiculous how UWS treats itself as a single university - and will relocate classes between different campuses - which is what other universities do, but the difference is that their campuses are usually not very far away from each other - usually within the same post code (or close to it). For example, when I was at UNSW I did everything at the main Kensington Campus but I had like one exam at the Randwick campus - and of course, Randwick is within spitting distance of Kensington (the only difference is that Randwick smells like horse manure ). UNSW also has a Western Campus which is like across the road (Anzac Parade) from the main Kensington Campus, so it wasn't a huge deal - you could walk the distance!

Having different classes or exams across Bankstown, Parramatta, Richmond, Macarthur, Kingswood etc is nothing short of plain lunacy! If there's a campus in Kingswood and another in Bankstown - I'm sorry, but you're effectively not the same university!! Initially the UWS campuses actually kinda identified themselves as separate universities, e.g.: UWS Richmond, UWS Macarthur, UWS Nepean etc. - but then a few years ago they got rid of all that and merged them all together as just UWS, which as many have seen, has seen classes, courses etc shuffled between the so-called campuses.

Bugger off - just make them separate universities!! e.g. University of Nepean, Macarthur University, Parramatta University, University of Richmond etc.