Page 228 of 481 FirstFirst ... 208218223224225226227228229230231232233238248 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 4804

Thread: I need to vent!

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You're all familiar with the 'Try Me' gimmicks for newer toys whereby you stick your finger through the hole in the packaging to press a lever for lights and sounds... let's say you had a red back spider take up residence inside the box... lets' also say you are a MISB collector - what would you do?
    In that situation, I would try to force the spider out by spraying a little bit of insecticide through the 'Try Me' hole. If you don't spray too much, it should be enough force the spider out without killing it. However note that if it dies on it's web it will stay clung dead there so be careful.

Just note Spider behavior - first instinct may be to go to a corner and hide. It may then gradually re-assess it's situation (as it realizes it can't avoid the insecticide) and run out of the whole.

It is risky as it could die within the box but that may be preferable to having spider-webs and a live red back within.

Good luck!

I wouldn't go with the insecticide. I'd just put it in the fridge overnight then either blow it out with compressed air or use a vacuum on least amount of power to get it out.

Thanks guys. Yeah, not real keen on the insecticide option - it would leave residue. The fridge is an interesting option... hadn't thought of that. If you stuck a vacuum nozzle into the hole, wouldn't the box just crumple into itself Surely there would need to be a secondary hole.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I'd tape together some rubber tubing and use that to vacuum it out.

Fridge/freezer it, then blu-tac or stickytape on a stick to "grab" the spider and any webbing.
    Just be careful not to squish it though.

shouldn't 5fdp seal the hole first before freezing otherwise spider may try to escape?

I'd also suggest a plastic bag aroiund the box so it doesn't get too damp, with condensation when you bring it out of the fridge/freezer.

Assuming you get the spider out quickly, then get rid of the bag and make sure the box is in a well ventilated are (even in front of a fan) this will bring it back to room temp quickly and most condensation will be carried away in the breeze.

The box isn't sealed airtight so vacuuming shouldn't crush it, but it will definitely create a negative pressure, I'd probably go with Griffins sticky stick idea though.

good luck
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

It looks like freezing is the winner. If it works, I'll post a pic of the spider-sicle.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    shouldn't 5fdp seal the hole first before freezing otherwise spider may try to escape?
    Probably a good idea I can already picture the look on the wifes face when see sees a red back running around the inside of the fridge
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

As a preventative measure, perhaps you should apply small bits of contact over all "Try Me" holes to avoid any other creepy crawlies getting in there.

You could also try the screen protectors for say an iphone or other touch screen device.