Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202535 ... LastLast

Thread: Government to censor the Internet

SGB is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Religion and Politics should stay well apart.
    True, the only reason I mention religion is because it seems to be one of the main points behind why labor wants to censor the net (oh wont someone think of the children...)
    At least in my viewpoint. That and pure and utter idiocy. So two sides/same coin type of thing
    What we need is some real tech people in politics, at least then maybe we'd have the NBN before anything else that would mess the net up forever.
    Probally because they don't even know where to start, they have no idea what they are doing.

Originally posted by DarkHyren:
    Personally I'd rather a bunch of dinosaur liberals then these god botherer/utopian labor people.
    Say what you will, at least under liberal we don't get in debt as much as under labor (even ignoring the "economic crisis").
    Perhaps DarkHyren, but then we have years of inaction and things going unfunded, even to the point of having funds taken away just so the Liberal party can say that they're saving money...

Some times money has to be spent in order to move forward and to make money, Big business and High income earners understand this but don't like it when they're taxed at a level that is proportional to that of middle to low income earners.

i.e. When a Liberal Government is in power, the Rich get Richer and the Poor get Poorer.

Now with that all being said, I'm not completely against the Liberals and I'm not all for Labor. Former Prime Minister John Howard I believe should be congratulated for introducing, though he said he'd never, the GST and actually making it work but he then dropped the ball with Workchoices.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd I also believe should be congratulated on the National Broadband Network but shot himself in the foot with the Mandatory Internet Filter.

All I can say though is thank god we live in a Democratic Country, for all it's flaws it is great that we can all express our own opinions freely without persecution for not following mass opinions. <- lol I think that makes sense

Seems like they are discussing it in private amongst themselves because they have their own agenda, and know that the majority of the public is against it. If this idiocy continues and it does get enforced, I really do not want to know how badly it will affect this country.

This part in the Delimiter article concerns me:

The Department noted “as a minimum”, the RC Content List — or blacklist — would contain a list of URLs with unencrypted content. But it noted it was aware that there might be some encrypted HTTPS pages — “for example, log in pages” — which could be “seen” by ISPs, and that it was interested in comments on the practicality of including such pages on the blacklist if they had RC content.
    If any HTTPS pages are added to a national filter, then it has the potential to kill online commerce in Australia. No more eBaying, no more Amazon-ing, no more paying bills online, etc.

I'm not smart, so what does that mean?

It basically means that using the internet for anything other than research, in some cases even that will be affected, will be essentially impossible perform.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    I'm not smart, so what does that mean?
    If any HTTPS pages are filtered, then it will potentially break security and encryption used on legitimate HTTPS pages/sites, which will make your financial transactions & credit card details visible to ISPs and anyone "eavesdropping" on network traffic each time you conduct a transaction. Major security issue!

Banks and financial institutions would go ape s*it over this.

Just highlights the Government's total idiocy.

PM and Conroy clam up on filter 'delays'

Conroy denies filter circumvention offence planned

Secret forum typical of Conroy: Ludlam
    Last edited by SGB; 29th April 2010 at 06:40 PM.

The Government has acknowledged that a technically competent user could circumvent filtering. As the Minister has previously said it will not be an offence to circumvent filtering. The Government will not be creating any specific offences in relation to circumvention.
    Yeah, right, sure. Let's just see how long till they make circumvention a crime if they put this filter in.
    I mean they won't be able to make it a crime for buisnesses because many use a VPN in their day to day work, and we all know VPNs can be used as a circumvention method.
    No, I forsee that one will have to have a current active ABN/ACN to be allowed use of "circumvention".
    The Minister has said publicly that URLs of high traffic sites will not be included on the RC content list if they agree to a process of either removing RC rated content or blocking it from Australian users when identified through the public complaints process.
    I really don't think sites will bother removing what one government tells them to, nor do I see them blocking only certain pages.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    I really don't think sites will bother removing what one government tells them to, nor do I see them blocking only certain pages.
    Yeah, if the sites are overseas they'll likely tell the Australian Govt to get lost as the Govt have no jurisdiction outside the country.