Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253040 ... LastLast

Thread: Government to censor the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by fatbot View Post
    That's the problem, it's KRudd as well as Conroy that's pushing this. Conroy is a Puppet, KRudd is pulling his strings
    I think it is about time those strings are cut. Why is it that they don't seem to want to listen to what people are saying? Is it because they are now too far gone to say, "We will cancel this idea, even though we have spent millions of dollars on something we were told would not work"

Either way, they are going to end up very embarrassed from this.

SGB is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Conroy is definitely a puppet. That's why the filter idiocy needs to stick to Rudd. When criticising the policy, focus the criticism towards Rudd. Make the negativity and unpopularity of the idea stick on him, make him the person responsible for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    You know, I can't wait for the day that this does get put into effect, and then they realise what a dumb mistake it was in the first place
    Problem with that is, no matter whatever negative consequences the filter causes for the Internet in Australia, and no matter how bad it is, neither the ALP or the Libs will repeal it. Neither will have the cojones to do so.

That's why it's so important that legislation not be passed, and why it's so vital everyone lobbies the Libs to oppose the idea.

As I've been saying, tell everyone you know about this dumb policy. Inform them of the negative consequences it will bring (Govt being able to block what they want at will; won't stop bad guys as ALL filters are easily bypassable; speed degradation; overblocking; filters being security vulnerabilities; increase in Internet costs, which the IIA has hinted will be significant; etc), and advise them to write to the ALP saying they oppose the idea and will vote against them because of it, as well as writing to the Libs, Greens and Independents urging them to flat out oppose the idea.

(Greens have stated they won't support the policy, as has Independent Nick Xenophon, but still send them letters anyway to help spur them on and maintain their resolve and let them know they have support for their stance)

Forgot to mention earlier, the filter was apparently slammed on Sunrise this morning. Video of it here (which I've yet to watch):

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video...-stars-may-30/

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Forgot to mention earlier, the filter was apparently slammed on Sunrise this morning. Video of it here (which I've yet to watch):

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video...-stars-may-30/
    Thank you for that, they stuck it to Conroy on that saying what a waste of money. Definitely should watch it when you get the chance.

Conroy is definitely a puppet. That's why the filter idiocy needs to stick to Rudd. When criticising the policy, focus the criticism towards Rudd. Make the negativity and unpopularity of the idea stick on him, make him the person responsible for it all.
    I still fail to see the substance in this argument, whilst Prime Minister Kevin Rudd maybe the Leader and hasn't canned the proposal, it is Senator Conroy's portfolio and his project so the blame lies with him and him alone.

With all the other policies of far greater importance that the Government and Prime Minister Kevin Rudd are working on, the argument that it is the Prime Minister "pulling the strings" with Senator Conroy over this policy is considerably misleading in my opinion as let us not forget that it was the Previous Liberal Governments Policy in the first place so all one can accuse the current Prime Minister of doing is stealing the policy, which is a common practice with both Labor and Coalition Governments.

With that being said, this policy needs to be Hung, Drawn and Quartered and I agree that lobbying the Federal Independents is the best way of fending off this farce.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I still fail to see the substance in this argument, whilst Prime Minister Kevin Rudd maybe the Leader and hasn't canned the proposal, it is Senator Conroy's portfolio and his project so the blame lies with him and him alone.
    Rudd is calling the shots. He's in charge, so every policy is his responsibility. So blame lies with him too.

The fact he hasn't canned the policy and has failed to sack Conroy for his disgraceful conduct shows how complicit Rudd is in this policy.

let us not forget that it was the Previous Liberal Governments Policy in the first place
    A policy the Libs wound up dropping.

Yet with all the little media coverage on the policy, I see even less of Libs openly opposing the policy now. They would get a buttload of voters if they voiced their opposition to it.

Rudd is calling the shots. He's in charge, so every policy is his responsibility. So blame lies with him too.

The fact he hasn't canned the policy and has failed to sack Conroy for his disgraceful conduct shows how complicit Rudd is in this policy.

Indeed Prime Minister Kevin Rudd is "calling the shots" and that a degree of responsibility does lie with him but to suggest that he is solely to blame or holds the majority of the blame is highly misleading.

At the end of the day the policy must receive the approval of a Majority vote from the party itself, this suggests that it is entirely possible that Prime Minister Kevin Rudd may not of voted for it at all, but because there were enough votes for it, it became official party policy.

We have had plenty of recent examples of what happens to leaders who introduce policies themselves or hold differing opinions to the party majority.

I personally would like to see Senator Conroy join the unemployment line as well, he is a rogue and an idiot at best and has done very little to better this country.

Yes the policy was dropped by the former Government, but only because they saw how unpopular it was, how much money they'd have to spend on it (Something they really don't like doing) and they didn't need another nail in an already sealed coffin.

Yet with all the little media coverage on the policy, I see even less of Libs openly opposing the policy now. They would get a buttload of voters if they voiced their opposition to it.
    I agree dude, I don't know why they haven't jumped on it but I'd say that, like Work Choices, it is probably something they have sitting in the play book that they intend on resurrecting themselves.

I tell you what though, I would be very scared of the day that people would vote for a particular party based solely on a singular policy, very scared indeed as there is already enough sheep that are legally required to vote.
    Last edited by Hursticon; 30th May 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Missed a word.

Yet with all the little media coverage on the policy, I see even less of Libs openly opposing the policy now.
    I suspect that's because they're waiting for draft legislation.

Some Libs are still speaking out against the policy, though. Sue Boyce was one of the latest, labelling the whole policy farcial in a press release a couple of weeks back. Also, Jamie Briggs and Alex Hawke make occassional anti-filter tweets on Twitter.

They would get a buttload of voters if they voiced their opposition to it.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    At the end of the day the policy must receive the approval of a Majority vote from the party itself, this suggests that it is entirely possible that Prime Minister Kevin Rudd may not of voted for it at all, but because there were enough votes for it, it became official party policy.
    That could well be true, but I doubt that's the case. Rudd's a known control freak, and sources have indicated to me nobody in the ALP wants the filter apart from Rudd and Conroy.

That could well be true, but I doubt that's the case. Rudd's a known control freak, and sources have indicated to me nobody in the ALP wants the filter apart from Rudd and Conroy.
    Prime Minister Kevin Rudd being a "control freak" is very debatable, as that would allude to the Prime Minister operating in a manor of a Dictator and I'd find it hard to believe that his coworkers, and the greater ALP for that matter, would just sit on their hands and take that. Dictatorship flies against the very core beliefs of all Australians and the approach wouldn't work for either side of politics.

It's my personal opinion that Prime Minister Kevin Rudd probably doesn't care for slackers and expects all who have a hand in running the country to put a solid effort in or they are shown the door.

If the ALP didn't want the filter I would find it also very hard to believe that only 2 members would stand in the way of the rest of the party dropping it.