Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protectobots Restoration

The Protectobots I found at the Dapto Markets and felt compelled to rescue them from the bottom of the Flower Pot of which they seem to of been dumped in for quite some time at a cost of $1
    I just read how you found them - So they were under a public flower pot since the 80s?

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Use diluted OMO, its good in small quantities. From the looks of the pics its just mostly dirt and grime, a few good baths , some elbow grease with an old toothbrush to clean it will give it a good nice lease of new life. For Blades, I actually have a junker blades which have the landing gears you need.

Its an amazing find actually Hursty. Especially Streetwise. You have no idea how many times Ive always seen one that ALWAYS is MISSING the hood, and for Blades to have intact rotors, soooo lucky! So for you to find a complete ones for that amazing price is absolutely awesome!! Cant wait for this project's progress pics. good luck!
    Thanks Liege, I sure am going to be getting the old toothbrush out and give them all a good scrub.

You're not wrong about finding them as normally the Dapto Markets ends up being a 1 hour walk that costs you a dollar , to find anything is usually a rarity but I agree, finding Streetwise more or less unbroken is a nice change.

Blades having intact rotors was actually very surprising for me too, as you mentioned they're also normally busted , I'd be interested in your Junker Blades too dude if he is for sale, shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Thanks for well wishes too, I wanna give this project a reasonable go because if it's successful, I might start going through and tidying up the rest of my collection as Kup's & Eruntalon's efforts have been quite an inspiration, if not a costly one.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I just read how you found them - So they were under a public flower pot since the 80s?
    I'm not sure if they were there since the 80's, but they certainly looked like they had been there for quite a while.

They were in a lady's flower pot that still had a little bit of dirt in it at the Dapto Markets which is basically a Trash and Treasure market held every Sunday (problem is 90% of the stalls have been turning up each and every week for the past 5 or 6 years trying to sell the same stuff and don't seem to get the point that maybe their Trash is just another persons Trash?).

Sorry, got a little off track there with a bit of a rant , They don't look to of been Transformed much as their heads are in really good nic, First Aid has a very minute amount of paint wear on his face though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    They were in a lady's flower pot that still had a little bit of dirt in it at the Dapto Markets which is basically a Trash and Treasure market held every Sunday (problem is 90% of the stalls have been turning up each and every week for the past 5 or 6 years trying to sell the same stuff and don't seem to get the point that maybe their Trash is just another persons Trash?).
    Yea it is crap, but once every so often you chance upon a really good bargain there

Not to get sidetracked too much, but is that toy guy still there? The one who usually has piles of toys.

But on topic, I would do what Gamblor suggested for the stickers and cleaning, then see how they turn out. If parts of First-aid are yellowed a bit, I'd say dunk em

Normally when I want to get sticker residue removed, I use baby wipes as its mild on the paint and plastic but dissolves the residue.

However Gamblor's suggestion sounds very good.

PMd - pics attached to that pm
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Hey guys a quick update.

Liege has sold me a junker Blades of his to recycle for parts which also came with both of Blades' Helicopter Guns.

The cleaning of both Blades and First Aid has come along nicely, with Streetwise currently being put on the back burner for the moment as I've hit a pain in the ass of a problem.

The screws on the 3 figures are terribly rusted, mainly around the heads of the screws but not the stems. The screws in the Leg areas of Blades and First Aid were easy enough to get off with a little bit of labor (I've not tried Streetwise yet) but the screws that hold their chest assemblies together are rusted so tight I'm running a very real risk of burring the screws.

Has anybody got some tips or advice they could share that would help me in getting these little bastards out?, I really don't want to go to the extreme of having to drill the screws out.

If I can find some batteries that have some charge I'll post some pics later tonight, otherwise it'll probably be tomorrow.

Drill them out

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Drill them out
    Yeah that always works. Just be sure that the drill is strong and thin enough for the screw and screw hole or you could damage the body.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Drill them out
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Yeah that always works. Just be sure that the drill is strong and thin enough for the screw and screw hole or you could damage the body.
    Hence the reason why I want to avoid that method if I can.