Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iGear reveals PP03E - MP Dirge

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Well see that's the thing that rubs me the wrong way about this release.

With their Faith leader, copying MP Prime and downsizing it is a dick move in itself but Prime had been released a lot of times. Whereas this is now moving into areas that HasTak might be going into in the future.

Which sets a dangerous precedent if they let it go.

I'm not saying OMGZ MP LIEN RUINED or similar but it doesn't sit right that they've gone from copying stuff that exists to (while still copying HasTak designs and engineering) making official Transformers characters that HasTak may make in the future.

I just don't think the 'well maybe if Hasbro gave us what we wanted this wouldn't happen' excuse holds water here.
    lol stop your whining...lol *peace* for primus sake id buy! it to me its not a KO at all since HASTAk dont have it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptic_Optic View Post
    lol stop your whining...lol *peace* for primus sake id buy! it to me its not a KO at all since HASTAk dont have it yet.
    Just a remoulded smaller version of the seekers that they have released

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Just a remoulded smaller version of the seekers that they have released
    yup...not listening and still not a KO...lol

yup...not listening and still not a KO...lol
    Exactly, KO are of existing figures lol, this is kinda new.

Who used the word knock off?

Anyway whether HasTak have done it or not is irrelevant. That's a similar argument to the popular yet misguided 'if they gave us what we wanted' argument. It's HasTaks mold, HasTaks engineering. It belongs to them and they can do what they want with it - whether that includes releasing a Masterpiece Dirge or not.

It can be called a KO because it uses most of Hasbro/TakaraTomy's MP Starscream mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    But how far can iGear go before Hasbro puts the kabosh on them? However, there are still plenty of knock off companies out there making G1 KO's so I guess that will make iGear safe
    As I understand, nothing. The most Hasbro can do is pressure online retailers in its markets from stocking iGear merchandise (like they did with Ages 3 & Up, whose owner openly supported KO G1 toys and attacked Hasbro for not "supporting collectors" like the KO makers were apparently doing), but that wouldn't work in this case, because (as I understand), iGear sells the KO MPs themselves.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

That`s pretty nice, but its nothing more than a promo.

I would prefer Hasbro to make this toy though so its on scale with the rest of the seekers.

It is on scale with the rest. That's their copycat MP Prime it's next to.

Whilst he does looks nice, I must say that I was immediately hit with a feeling of "Something isn't right with this?".

I'm all for 3rd party products based on the TF franchise but personally, I feel that taking proprietary property - scaling it - retooling it & repackaging it does not constitute this as anything less than copyright infringement.

Groups such as Fansproject have the right approach, designing products that are completely new IPs (Intellectual Properties) that are made to either envoke the likeness of a character or to compliment a pre-existing figure to envoke a character.

Now, I do realise that even Fansproject tread a fine line but it is in my opinion that Igear have well and truly crossed the line with this figure and probably even the Faith Leader figure before it.

With all that being said, if anyone here wants to and purchases this figure, by all means go ahead as they will probably end up looking really good in a collection (albeit it a heap of leg kibble ), but I wont be getting one - Too many bloody official products to throw money at.

I am not for what IGear is doing. Releasing this Dirge and hinting on a following Thrust and Ramjet have now negated what could have been a very possible official TakaraTomy releases in the near future.

Unlike the use of long abandoned 1980s concept drawings that don't have a chance in hell of ever being used and realized into a toy, IGear has grabbed a still financially viable mold from an ongoing existing line and beat the legit company in releasing a viable re-mold that may actually have been within their forthcoming plans.
    Last edited by kup; 5th July 2010 at 01:09 PM.