Thread: The Generations Collection

Default The Generations Collection

I'm sure most of us have seen those new Star Wars figures packaged in replica vintage card backs (e.g. Bespin Fatigues Luke Skywalker). How cool would it be if Hasbro did the same thing for Transformers, and packaged Classics/Universe toys in vintage cards and boxes?

So the idea of this thread is to make our own mock-ups of how such a line would look like. All you need to do is get a G1 card or box and see how it would look like with that toy's equivalent Classics/Universe/Henkei/Gentei counterpart. While original G1 packaging is preferred, you may use reissue packaging only if the packaging is a facsimile of the original G1 (so stuff like the TFC book-boxes aren't permitted).

I've noticed that Hasbro's new Star Wars toys on vintage cards is part of their "The Saga Collection", so let's call this hypothetical Transformer line the "Generations Collection."

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling. I've simply placed my Universe Brawn on an original G1 Brawn card back.

Question: If HasTak reissued Classics/Universe figures with replica vintage packaging and continued to release figure "Classics" style figures in said packaging style, would you collect them?

It's a yes from me - and I would actually keep them sealed (since I already have the previous moulds)!!

Interesting... would love to partake in this thread but I'm not gonna butcher a MOSC G1 just to replace the toy with a Classics one None of the cardbacks that I own have been given the 'classics' treatment except for Seaspray but he's a little too big for his backing card

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Question: If HasTak reissued Classics/Universe figures with replica vintage packaging and continued to release figure "Classics" style figures in said packaging style, would you collect them?
    Definitely
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I was actually thinking why we cant have a similar line with vintage packaging, but with actual g1 reissues... hah

I love henkei more than classics not only due to the superior paint scheme, but also because of the awesome packaging.

If they were released with g1 style packaging, I think id have to rebuy most of them to keep misb. Although Id prefer plastic - i.e. encore style rather than foam of g1 for box inserts.

Damn good idea!!!! It would be a relatively effortless way for hasbro to give a nod to us collectors - and wouldn't cost them that much.. although perhaps the cost of figs would increase slightly?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm sure most of us have seen those new Star Wars figures packaged in replica vintage card backs (e.g. Bespin Fatigues Luke Skywalker). How cool would it be if Hasbro did the same thing for Transformers, and packaged Classics/Universe toys in vintage cards and boxes?

So the idea of this thread is to make our own mock-ups of how such a line would look like. All you need to do is get a G1 card or box and see how it would look like with that toy's equivalent Classics/Universe/Henkei/Gentei counterpart. While original G1 packaging is preferred, you may use reissue packaging only if the packaging is a facsimile of the original G1 (so stuff like the TFC book-boxes aren't permitted).

I've noticed that Hasbro's new Star Wars toys on vintage cards is part of their "The Saga Collection", so let's call this hypothetical Transformer line the "Generations Collection."

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling. I've simply placed my Universe Brawn on an original G1 Brawn card back.

*snip*

It's a yes from me - and I would actually keep them sealed (since I already have the previous moulds)!!
    I'd also like to take part in this thread, though I've not got any card backs or boxes suitable (I only own 2 G1 boxes: Classics Grimlock and Silverbolt and 1 G1 card backing: Cosmos that's been cut up by the previous owner).

In answer to your question though, Hell Yes!!! I'd collect them and they'd be the only figures I'd leave in the packaging too (I'm not a MIB-MISB/MOC-MOSC collector, I believe freedom is the right of all sentient toys ) because I already have 90% of the Classics/Universe 2.0/Generations lines, just not the Botcon exclusives or insanely overpriced Henkei/Gentei Seekers, so these 'Hypothetical Classics Packaged" figures would look awesome on display.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP
    would love to partake in this thread but I'm not gonna butcher a MOSC G1 just to replace the toy with a Classics one
    Peacemaker. Oh, I mean Spoilsport.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP
    None of the cardbacks that I own have been given the 'classics' treatment except for Seaspray but he's a little too big for his backing card
    I'd like to see Sea Spray on a Seaspray card just for laffs.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmetro
    I was actually thinking why we cant have a similar line with vintage packaging, but with actual g1 reissues... hah
    A lot of G1 reissue boxes already are vintage.

e.g.:
    + Vintage MISB Jazz vs MISB reissue Jazz
    + Vintage MISB Ultra Magnus vs MISB reissue Ultra Magnus
    etc etc etc.

As you can see, except for a few minor differences most reissue boxes are pretty faithful replicas of the originals. The main difference is the lack of a "clip-and-save" tech specs and robot points on the back of the box, as reissues come with collectible tech spec cards and of course, there's no use for robot points. The space where the tech specs used to be is replaced with legal blurb. But otherwise the boxes are reasonably accurate.

Damn good idea!!!! It would be a relatively effortless way for hasbro to give a nod to us collectors - and wouldn't cost them that much..
    My thinking exactly.

although perhaps the cost of figs would increase slightly?
    Not unless Hasbro decided to deck them out with funky new paint jobs or included new weapons or something. I don't see how vintage packaging would cost more to make compared to contemporary packaging. Cardboard's still cardboard.

Anyway, here's a few more...

Generations Collection Cyclonus:

Generations Collection Jetfire:

Out of box:

Lovin' Jetfire Only problem is Hasbo wouldn't be able to use G1 artwork because of copyright restrictions.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Perhaps they could just replace the artwork and still use a vintage style box, like they did with reissue Galvatron.

Here's something I just threw together on MSPaint:

Interesting so I though I would have a go to.

Takara Cyclonus - Boxed.

Takara Cyclonus - Unboxed.

Hasbro Skywarp.

Hasbro Thrust.

Hasbro Ramjet.

Hasbro Starscream.

Hasbro Ironhide.

Best I can do at the moment. Its lucky I can still remember how to transform them.....its been awhile

WOW!

especially the skywarp and ironhide ones!

I love this thread so much...

too bad I aint got no g1 boxes besides jetfire and thats already been covered

Damn the op for making me want g1 boxes