Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: FansProject's Protector Armor (Not-Rodimus)

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    Since I sold my Classics Rodimus, I gotta buy another Rodimus in prep for this. I'm not sure whether I should buy the Henkei one or the one that came in the three pack with Cyclonus and Galvatron.

CHUG experts, what do you think?
    Henkei all the way dude!

The 3 pack version has absolutely G2-Horrid colours and would not work well with the Protector Upgrade Set, colour-wise IMO.
    The Henkei version will no doubt be more expensive and possibly harder to track down, but I reckon the colours are far closer to what FP originally envisioned and would probably be the better quality option.

I hope that helps in some way Heroic.

Keep in mind that when you compare a Henkei and Classics figure side by side, the color shade difference is negligible. You can only really notice a bit of difference in photos but in person it's pretty much the same.

The biggest factor in in how different a figure release would look with the armor is actually the chrome on the Henkei but even so, much of the chrome is covered by the wing extenders.

I own both Classics and Henkei. I am thinking of using the Henkei for for the Protector armor as the chrome will not dominate the back fins but would add some nice chorme detailing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    Wow, very nice.

I'm sure this will hit HK first and I can just grab it off the 1001 toy shops here, all of which should stock it.

Since I sold my Classics Rodimus, I gotta buy another Rodimus in prep for this. I'm not sure whether I should buy the Henkei one or the one that came in the three pack with Cyclonus and Galvatron.

CHUG experts, what do you think?
    I prefer to use "classics" or "classics-verse" rather than that.

If price is no concern, I would definitely recommend the Henkei version- with chrome spoiler and nicer chest/hood deco. If these pics are the final deco, then it seems that the Henkei deco matches up with the brighter flames on the vehicle mode more so than the classics version. Since the protector armor just comes with the orange wing extensions, you'd need to get the target master "sidearm" which comes with chromed wing extensions. (about $10 more).

However, the Henkei version, MOSC/MISB usually commands around $120- $150 USD on Ebay- although judging from your other Henkei exploits, you might be able to find it a cheaper locally in HK and without the shipping tag.

I would not recommend the 3-pack or 2-pack Rodimus (i.e. animated deco) version, since IMO it is incompatible and looks cheap- with a lighter red, crappy yellow spoiler, and light blue windshield. IMO it looks like buying a $100 armor and putting it on a cheap KO. In robot mode, from the front you aren't likely to see much difference barring differing shade of red, it would look out of place in vehicle mode.

Another option would be to get the sons of cybertron version- translucent henkei version that is much cheaper- I think its about $60USD- but you have to get the crappy universe prime. The clear Henkei one looks really nice on its own, but don't know how the translucent colour match with solid coloured armor/ trailer.

I've personally got the classics, 3-pack and clear Henkei versions, and I am kind of wanting the henkei one now- but price is an issue, and plenty of other stuff to budget for coming out next year.

hmmm... seems like the consensus is Henkei. I will hunt for that. I don't want to get the classics one cos i used to have that but sold it. Of course, the cheapest alternative now is the 3-pack (it's like HKD$260).

hmmm...

If you're any good at painting the 3 pack is a good choice.

I am planning to paint mine in black for Shadow Scyther.

Ok, I went and got the Sons of Cybertron set today. After walking around and seeing the piece out of box, I think it's going to be acceptable for the Protector amour which covers up most of it anyway. Also, its not that transparent. It's actually a pretty dark transparent and the flames on the bonnet kind of matches the Henkei version.

Kaiden, painting is just not my talent, so much as I would like to, that's never been an option in my collecting life. I wish I had the talent, but really don't.

Will continue to keep a look out.

yeah i havent tried paintng anything yet but i was thinking this would be something fun to start on.

which reminds me, i have a bunch of keropla to paint some day.

New Images

Looks nice with the Henkei version, but I think I will still prefer the classics version. Not much of a fan of the chrome.

You know, I don't think this thing works at all. Rodimus Prime doesn't work this way - he's not a partsformer - and FansProject did a poor job matching the new parts to the Rodimus toy.

In vehicle mode, the front is this really sleek vehicle and then suddenly it's this giant blocky thing. In robot mode, to quote Might Gaine on the Allspark, "it kinda looks like some glued legos to Classics Rodimus".

Also, the detailing is TOO BUSY.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

It looks pretty close to the original G1 toy and you have to remember, this is unofficial and is just a mass produced custom.

if you were to think this is one person's private custom Transformer, would that change your opinion?

it cant convert itself like the Masterpiece version can but even so, i think fansproject have done a nice job on the design - it certainly doesnt look boring but i'll have to see it in person before i decide if its overdone.

I really like the articulation as i felt hot rod was poorly designed in that area - in particular his elbows (i'm not at home at the moment, so its hard to remember the other parts of the toy) but the best part is the increased playability with the upgrade and targetmaster.

since most of my transformers are deluxe sized, this is a much appreciated release.