5 27.78%
  • iPhone versions

1 5.56%
  • I don't read the comics

2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers comic books vs trade paperbacks

So not only does one have to get both the US and UK sets, but they also have to purchase specific comics to fill in the gaps.
    (Unfortunate though that the UK sets only come in TPB and not Hardcover )

This, sounds like a challenge!

Well, if you wanna be a G1 comic completist... then yeah. Or maybe you could ask people to scan issues that were never reprinted for you ... that way we wouldn't really be stepping on IDW's toes (especially with the issues that they're legally unable to reprint, like "Prisoner of War!"). And naturally you'll promise to delete/destroy those scans should IDW reprint them <wink>

I mean, it's much like how I have downloaded episodes of Animated Season 3 because Paramount won't release it on proper DVD. If they did I'd happily throw away my downloaded copy and buy the proper ones. But until they release a purchasable copy I have little choice but to watch downloaded versions. TFarchive.com used to have scans of every single issue, but the scans were removed around the time that Titan Books got the rights to reprint Marvel issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I mean, it's much like how I have downloaded episodes of Animated Season 3 because Paramount won't release it on proper DVD. If they did I'd happily throw away my downloaded copy and buy the proper ones.
    So.... it's OK for comics / TV shows but not for toys? I'm confused here
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

To me, the difference is that I received those downloaded eps for free. I also have 1 comic scanned (the issue of Doctor Who Magazine where the Doctor confronts Death's Head) - also received for free. In other words, these things were made/done by fans for fans for free. If someone gave me an unlicensed toy - I'll graciously accept it. But I'm not going to pay for it.

If you or I scanned comics for Hursticon, we'd be doing it as a free service for him as a fellow fan. Neither of us would be making any profit from it. Of course, if Hursticon feels bad about owning scans, then he can go hunt for the original issues himself. Except for that one issue of DWM, I don't own any scanned comics. All of my Transformers comics are definitely original. And my comic collection isn't complete, I am missing some issues that I missed as a kid and haven't been reprinted (or I missed the reprint)... but I'm just going to wait for the opportunity to purchase those issues or reprints of those issues. I don't own any scans of them.

With Animated I purchased all of Season 1 and Season 2 on DVD. Then I waited and waited and waited for Paramount to release Season 3, then someone told me that Paramount has NO intention of releasing Season 3, which is my favourite season of Animated no less. So I waited and waited some more, hoping that Paramount would change their mind... nothing. So after months and months of fruitless hunting for the Season 3 DVDs, I just gave up and accepted free downloads (they were free for me, cos someone else had downloaded them and burnt me a copy).

Back on topic please... (Animated DVDs what?)

No ones buying the IDW digital versions. I hear they not as good as the Marvel/DC ones, pretty much just PDFs unlike the interactive ones from the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    No ones buying the IDW digital versions. I hear they not as good as the Marvel/DC ones, pretty much just PDFs unlike the interactive ones from the majors.
    Well that goes without saying I reckon.
    For me personally, I can't stay glued to a screen that contains nothing but lines and lines of text - so with a comic being on a screen it is sort of similar in that all one gets to do is scroll.
    I've go the entire G1 US, UK & G2 Marvel Comic line in scanned format on a disc, I've never actually read more than one off it though for the fact that I just can't stand sitting in front of my PC to do it, that and some of the pages aren't scanned too well.

This is why I would much prefer to purchase a novel/comic/book in a hardcopy form, much easier to read and looks much better than a disc on a shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Well that goes without saying I reckon.
    For me personally, I can't stay glued to a screen that contains nothing but lines and lines of text - so with a comic being on a screen it is sort of similar in that all one gets to do is scroll.
    I've go the entire G1 US, UK & G2 Marvel Comic line in scanned format on a disc, I've never actually read more than one off it though for the fact that I just can't stand sitting in front of my PC to do it, that and some of the pages aren't scanned too well.

This is why I would much prefer to purchase a novel/comic/book in a hardcopy form, much easier to read and looks much better than a disc on a shelf.
    well hey, I wouldn't mind borrowing that disc if you're not going to use it

I think trades are a better choice for two reasons: first of all, they write to the trade anyway. Nothing self contained seems to happen in individual issues so you might as well read the story from start to finish in the trade.
    Secondly, if the writing is disappointing or the story starts going nowhere you can find out before you buy into it. Just find someone who won't spoil the story for you to see if it's worth reading.

I always rsesearch my comics before I buy them now. especially since IDW recent run as been rubbish, apart from LSOTW that is.

I was told at my Local comic book store that "For All Mankind" was now out of print. THEN I hear it's at Target for less than half the price of the IDW version.
    Do I think this is a better deal? Yes! It's six issues for the price of less than two!

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    So not only does one have to get both the US and UK sets, but they also have to purchase specific comics to fill in the gaps.
    (Unfortunate though that the UK sets only come in TPB and not Hardcover )

This, sounds like a challenge!
    The UK stories were written to fit around the US stories, so you could get the US stories only and not notice any gaps in the overall story.

Not so much if you got the UK stories only; they tended to reflect what had happened in the US stories, but not vice versa.

Getting the UK stories in addition to the US stories makes for a much richer experience, however.