Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers Prime cartoon reviews/comments (spoilers)

hmm I gotta say I find it a tad meh overall, its not bad per say, but it definitely lacks something, heart. It feels so much like a committee design, as opposed to a piece of art put together by passionate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    hmm I gotta say I find it a tad meh overall, its not bad per say, but it definitely lacks something, heart. It feels so much like a committee design, as opposed to a piece of art put together by passionate people.
    This is true - it's going to be hard for the audience to love the characters until the series shows some signs that its creators do.

I just saw episode 5 and it is much better than 4&5 which despite being very good from the robot perspective, they were a bit too annoying on the human side. This episode was much more balanced and consistent like the first two so I enjoyed it more.

This 'mini-series' opening is considerably better than the Animated one, not without it's gripes but it does good overall. Hopefully the series will be able to reach the same heights that Animated did in Season 3 but much sooner.

As mentioned by everyone, something that this show is doing right is the fight scenes. You can see what is going on although they did do a kind of 'Bay tribute' in a slow motion scene in the 4th episode but since you could see what was going on it was better executed than Bay's. My only complaint is that it goes too much into '1 on 1s' not allowing epic battles between the Autobots and Decepticons as we saw between the Maximals and Predacons in Beast Wars, hopefully we will see that in future episodes as those scenes were also great for cross-faction character interaction and also showed a 'comradeship' relationship within the Maximals.

The start of episode 5 was very good but I got a bit worried when they had the kid 'hack' into the Government satellite network as I found that very much ridiculous. As a kid, I thought it was ridiculous when Chip used to know how to use Teletraan 1 better than the Autobots and even more so as an adult, so this aspect was a bit annoying for me. Thankfully the 'hacking' attempts did not come to complete fruition so that kind of neutralized that bit. What they went for instead with the schematics was a much better outcome than having the kid with his super powered hacking skills save the day so I am happy with that.

I also thought it was a nice touch that Soundwave did the practical thing and prevented the kids from accessing the satellite dishes by cutting the hard wire instead of wasting time finishing them off. Overall the kids were much better handled in this episode.

So far I am enjoying the show and it is the best current TF fiction by far. However I do share the same view as some like Sky Shadow. The TF characters do take themselves too seriously and that makes them rather bland. Prime is also somewhat boring and talks in slow motion as if he is reading from a book rather than performing, this was particularly obvious when he was quoting his 'classic lines' at Megatron.

What the show needs is more clever humor or as Sky Shadow mentioned, a Rattrap sort of character to liven things up or a Dinobot character to throw some spice. The show as it is now is indeed lacking heart and that is the biggest down side of it so far as much of it is very good. We also need more Decepticons with character - This is a must as Starscream and Megatron can't carry the whole show on the Decepticon side. A bit of soul is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    We also need more Decepticons with character - This is a must as Starscream and Megatron can't carry the whole show on the Decepticon side.
    I very highly agree with you here Kup, because Soundwave is clearly a mute so they're gonna have to pull their thumbs out on this one.
    I'd also like to see the 'phasing out' of those cheap and nasty drones - sure keep 1 or 2 around and maybe have them get hit with a lightning bolt that causes them to miraculously acquire an individual personality, ala Johnny 5 , because their design is pretty cool, they just end up as fodder though.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I was just recalling all the comments made about Prime being too violent in ROTF as he blows away Scavenger at the beginning. Which now seems pretty weaksauce compared to slaughtering a whole field of robots!
    But they were Zombies, so that makes it ok.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to be more specific about that scene! I was merely suggesting someone who thinks the ROTF scene was out of character, might also think this scene was out of character, not necessarily exactly the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    The best way I can put forward this argument is Prime's iteration of Bulkhead. He has been made the token strong guy. I understand that this is only a mini series not really enough room to develop a character.

However, I feel that the new creative team has really mishandled a character that was in his previous version an artist and a space-bridge engineer. I expect that we'll just get more of the same when the series starts next Feb.
    I am going to put all these arguments down to 'new show.' I can understand people wanting the same type of character when they use the name again, but just re-hashing the same personalities for each series would get a little tedious wouldn't it?

Plus it is only the start of the series, perhaps Miko will teach BH about music to soften him up. Smae with Prime's ruthlessness, perhaps he has been fighting the war for so long that he has become more like the deceps than he thinks, and the humans will help him regain his old self. After all, we have only had 5 eps.

Speaking of those 5 eps, I quite enjoyed them. Sure some were a bit emo and Raf is a tad annoying, but that doesn't detract from the overall cool-ness of this series methinks. Megatron is great with massive plans, Starscream is brave when megs isn't around him, but obviously scared of Megatron. I hope to see some back stabbing in the future, which is what Starscreams are all about (contradicting my previous comments on BH in the process ).

I was thinking, that we could see some good variety in 'bots thorugh this. With Op and pals on Earth, it would be cool to see Tfs of different themes come from other planest, after Cybertron is a dead planet (in more ways than one now) and so some Tfs that took the shape of Beasts to survive could come visit, kind of like Galaxy Force.

I was also thinking that a good story could be done with Wheelie, being a survivalist, I suspect surviving n Cybertron would be quite a challenge. (Assuming it's Wheelie from SPotlight, not Daniel and Wheelie, or leg humping wheelie)

Chemistry! I've worked out that's what's missing. G1 Megatron and Starscream; Kup and Hot Rod; Beast Wars Blackarachnia and Silverbolt; Animated Bulkhead and Bumblebee; Sentinel and Optimus Prime (etc.) All the great Transformers characters worked because they had banter and conflict and emotional interest in the other characters around them. Here we don't see that, and we're going to need it to add an extra dimension to the rest of the series.

looks like there might be some robo-love between Arcee and whats that guys name.. human guy, not Raf.

Hopefully some more characters will spunk things up a little.

I must say that I am very fond of Ratchet "No need for long goodbyes. There's the door" GOLD! He has had some the best lines in this series!

And his VA is familar, anyone able to tell me what else he has done, as I swear I have heard that voice before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    And his VA is familar, anyone able to tell me what else he has done, as I swear I have heard that voice before.
    That would be none other than Jeffrey Combs, great horror movie actor, among other things.

I swear, Soundwave is the most intelligent Decepticon... bar none.
    Prime vs Megs... totally awesome.
    Ralf... somewhat useful.
    Have to admit... while Starscream takes over the Decepticons fairly quickly, he DOES seem concerned over Meg's well-being through the 5 parter. Different... not as different as the Micron Densetsu and Superlink version but different enough.

I've enjoyed this 5 parter, hope the rest of the season will be at least as good.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    That would be none other than Jeffrey Combs, great horror movie actor, among other things.
    I was surprised it was Re-Animator dude, I could have sworn it was the Voice Actor who played Prometheus Black/Meltdown....