Thread: JP United - general reviews and comments

Default JP United - general reviews and comments

Since these are all close redecos of recent and current Hasbro toys, I'm not going to be creating a heap of 'duplicate' topics, especially as there is only a small number of us buying them.

If you want to post up an extensive review on any of the United figures as its own review topic, go for it, but if you just want to post up some comments, recommendations or photos in this ongoing topic, you can do that too.

Figures so far known, according to tfwiki.net

UN-01 Optimus Prime Cybertron Mode (Generations Cybertronian Optimus Prime)
    UN-02 Bumblebee Cybertron Mode (Generations Cybertronian Bumblebee)
    UN-03 Cliffjumper Cybertron Mode (Generations Cybertronian Cliffjumper)
    UN-04 Megatron Cybertron Mode (Generations Cybertronian Megatron)
    UN-05 Soundwave Cybertron Mode (Generations Cybertronian Soundwave)
    UN-06 Optimus Prime (Classics Deluxe class Optimus Prime)
    UN-07 Bumblebee (Classics Deluxe class Bumblebee)
    UN-08 Autobot Drift (Generations Autobot Drift)
    UN-09 Megatron (Classics Voyager class Megatron)
    UN-10 Straxus (Generations Darkmount)
    UN-11 Autobot Grapple (Transformers 2010 Solar Storm Grappel)
    UN-12 Autobot Jazz (Transformers 2010 Special Ops Jazz)
    UN-13 Autobot Tracks (Transformers 2010 Turbo Tracks)
    UN-14 Decepticon Lugnut (Transformers 2010 Lugnut)
    UN-15 Autobot Perceptor (Transformers 2010 Perceptor)
    UN-16 Autobot Blurr (Generations Blurr)
    UN-17 Autobot Kup (Generations Sergeant Kup)
    UN-18 Wreck-Gar (Transformers 2010 Wreck-Gar)
    UN-19 Wheeljack (Generations Wheeljack)
    UN-20 Rumble & Frenzy (Transformers 2010 Rumble and possibly Frenzy)
    UN-21 Decepticon Scourge (Generations Scourge)
    UN-22 G2 Optimus Prime (Transformers 2010 Optimus Prime)

I have 1,2,3,4,5 (WFC) and 10 (Straxus). This wave is mostly uninspiring to the G1-inspired-Classics collector, Straxus being the only relevant one (which i haven't opened yet). I'm much more excited for future waves, starting with the next.

The metallic paints on WFC is nice and adds an addiional perceived level of niceness and quality in my eyes. I'm much more happy displaying these then their dull Generations counterparts. Although, Cybertronian Prime's robot mode is a bit disappointing as his shoulders and some bits are just red plastic, not metallicized. He shines much nicer in alt mode. Soundwave is nice too, but the gray used on him is very reminiscent of Hasbro Gray™. The pink neon highlights on all the figures is quite striking and nice. I haven't opened BB & CJ yet either.

Paint apps are better than Hasbro on the average, but not perfect. My CJ has some blemishes on the plate his head rotates on. The deluxe package is pretty lame. I generally a packaging appreciator, but this fails, in shape, design and [lack of] artwork.

I have much higher expectations for the next wave, which includes Grapple, Jazz & Tracks. My jury is still out as to how well United will integrate with Henkei until I get these.

I'm giving faint consideration to WFC Megatron - the darker colours look really nice, but I'm not sure I like the mold enough. Most of the rest are crap or uninspiring molds anyway so I'm passing on the lot so far.

Might be tempted by Wheeljack but we've yet to see pics of the domestic release.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Does UNITED come with a comic ?
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

No comics in united!

That said I just opened my United Soundwave. Having never played with the hasbro released I can't really compare the two but needless to say I love the metallic paint compared to that of the hasbro release. Very nice!!

I certainly enjoyed the transformation of this one. Only complaints are the wheels don't have anywhere to clip on on his waist and that I don't like the proportions of the elbow/arm bits.

The grey I can deal with. It isn't as pale as normal hasbrogray and I am totally planning on using some paint to go over just the grey. :b

That's for when I get back home to Melbourne anyway. (:

He hangs out well with Scourge too!

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

I caved and got WFC Prime from this line. The metallic red looks gorgeous in vehicle mode. Robot mode is so so, I like the black chest windows but otherwise prefer the western release (more uniform, the face that half the red on robot mode is shiny and half is matte annoys me something chronic)
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by autobreadticon View Post
    Does UNITED come with a comic ?
    No comic or catalogue. The tech specs printed on the back of the cards are better written than Hasbro's IMHO (discussed in more detail here)

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    The deluxe package is pretty lame. I generally a packaging appreciator, but this fails, in shape, design and [lack of] artwork.
    I wholeheartedly agree on this point. In fact i'm not a fan of their Voyager packaging either. It's a real step down from what they've produced in the past.

TakaraTomy are taking a lot of bad pointers from Hasbro regarding packaging and adopting none of the good ones. i.e feature shaped blisters with lots of little taped tabs to connect onto the cardback, a fatter more air-filled blister, minimalisation of extras such as cards & comics and retaining the use of wire twisty ties.

Yeah, the generic front design of the cards is disappointing... like Beast Machines, only at least it's the two leaders duking out (as opposed to just Cheetor screaming at you). I prefer the back of the card on United compared to RtS though -- has that nice "action pose" shot and better written tech specs FTW. Although having tech spec cards would have been nicer -- ditto a catalogue. Comic... meh... don't care one way or another as pack-in comics usually aren't well written anyway, even if Tsushima Naoto's artwork is really nice. Okay, they're not badly written, they're just clearly aimed at very young children, so it doesn't engage _me_ as an adult. But Tsushima did also write/illustrate a better written Henkei manga series outside of the catalogue comics (the token human kid can be quite annoying, but he's still an intriguing character in his own right).

So I guess RtS has a nicer looking front whereas UTD has a better looking backside.

Maybe that's the cost of having metallic paint? My guess is it was the shiny new paint jobs that directly resulted in the packaging, and more specifically, the extras, taking a nose dive. After all, the rubbish Takara packaging began when their TFA toys came out, and we all know they were the first toys to start the 'bling' craze.

I hope that for the next G1-update line of figures Takara go back to focusing on G1 cartoon/toy accuracy (eg. drop the metallic paint, unless subtle like Cyclonus) and quality packaging.