Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a thought on these 3rd party products.

To each their own I suppose - but I won't be in any hurry to buy any third party accessories (or figures).

It just doesn't 'feel right'

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    There are even some collectors who refuse to buy official reissues as they consider them to be "less pure" than the originals.
    This is the context where I originally heard the term 'purity' applied and this was well before the 3rd party explosion. Every now and then some guy would show up in a reissue discussion and arrogantly proclaim that he would never 'defile' his collection with cheap reproductions (referring to the official reissue). He didn't contribute anything to the discussion other than to turn his nose up at anyone who would collect a reissue.

After the 3rd party explosion, the 'purity' thing gradually shifted to 3rd party toys but often the intention of the poster remained the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    This is the context where I originally heard the term 'purity' applied and this was well before the 3rd party explosion. Every now and then some guy would show up in a reissue discussion and arrogantly proclaim that he would never 'defile' his collection with cheap reproductions (referring to the official reissue). He didn't contribute anything to the discussion other than to turn his nose up at anyone who would collect a reissue.

After the 3rd party explosion, the 'purity' thing gradually shifted to 3rd party toys but often the intention of the poster remained the same.
    I hate reissues... purely because a 30ft electrified fence grows up from underneath me and I just can't seem to choose a side to fall towards.

For me, if the figure is fairly expensive, like Predaking or Piranacon, chances are I'll go with the reissue because it's probably the only way I'll ever be able to afford the mold - for things like a reissue Trailbreaker or Sunstreaker, I'd much prefer an original figure and I think I'd probably be like that with every figure up to '86.

Regardless, to say one's collection is 'impure' because it has reissues in it when it is still 100% HasTakTom products and no 3rd parties, is pure ridiculousness.

i just go with whatever is cheapest - that way i can buy more

so yeah i dont have any original G1s just the reissue Piranacon and Predaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Regardless, to say one's collection is 'impure' because it has reissues in it when it is still 100% HasTakTom products and no 3rd parties, is pure ridiculousness.
    Not necessarily. It depends on one's personal standards which is opinion-based, so you can't really say that they're right or wrong.

Some people are collectors of pure G1. And G1 ran from 1984-1993. Reissues that were produced after that period are really NOT G1, but rather official reproductions of G1 toys. And some collectors insist on collecting original G1s, not reproductions (no matter how nice they may be). The fact that reissues are reproductions and not originals doesn't matter to some people.

Some people will even collect knock offs because they're cheaper and easier to get (at least in theory, but I've heard that a lot of reissues are now even more expensive than what you'd pay for an original G1). The fact that these toys are illegitimate counterfeits doesn't matter for some people.

Some people will collect third party items because they fill a perceived gap (i.e. they make stuff that HasTak have not or will not or are unable to make). The fact that these toys are unlicensed doesn't matter to some people.

For me personally, I'll happily collect reissues (cos the fact that they're repros doesn't matter), but I won't buy knockoffs or 3rd party items, because the fact that they're counterfeits and unlicensed products respectively does matter to me. But that's just my personal standards.

Quote Originally Posted by kup

Authenticity is probably a better word to use than "purity." While I can understand how that poster feels, on the other hand it's unnecessary for him to waltz into discussions about things he doesn't collect and whinge about them for whinging's sake.

I seldomly frequent this part of the board and I don't even read or post on most threads here. I'm participating in this thread because primative appears to be showing concern about his continuing collecting of 3rd party items effecting the authenticity of his collection. If that's something that concerns you, then just don't collect them. If it doesn't concern you, then go nuts.

he was just speculating on the increased production on 3rd party products and how they would affect our collections in general. basically would they eventually overtake our hasbro/takaratomy transformers?

and my answer is no. they'll never have enough money to outproduce H/TT and like kup has pointed out - a lot of these 3rd party products are accessories made to compliment and further complete certain toys.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    primatives: if collecting unlicensed products bothers you and makes you think that it makes your collection "less pure" by having them... then just don't collect them. But if you do collect them then you'll have to accept the fact that your collection will be, in part, unofficial.

Vector Prime: there are quite a few collectors who don't buy unlicensed toys. There are even some collectors who refuse to buy official reissues as they consider them to be "less pure" than the originals. I personally won't buy unlicensed toys, but I'll happily buy reissues - as I personally don't feel that they 'lessen' my collection. And I'm sure most people who collect unlicensed toys don't feel that they "lessen" their collections either.
    hey man I'm not actually concerned at all, like I said in my 1st post it was just something that I realised was happening. These 3rd party companies are pumping out products like there is no tomorrow. It just made me think that these guys soon could like some people on this forum have said could start having their own line of toys.

I actually totally dig these guys work especially FP stuff. The Bruticus add-on is the most badass looking robot!!!!! I've not really looked at ant other company cos the quality seems really bad but I have been keeping an eye out on the reflector toy and the kup heads. I myself will continue to buy 3rd party products as long as it looks good to me and the quality is good.

I just wanted to see what everyone elses opinion was thats all

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    It almost feels as if the Ferengi have gotten wind of the profit to be made with 3rd party stuff. Yeah that is what I am going to call them, Ferengi products.
    Nice analogy. I think I will use that from now on as well

As for 3rd party products, something that compliments my Classics figures (UM upgrade, Roadbuster upgrade, etc...) I find ok in my books. I already paid for the base figure, but I thought it was lacking a bit. These just make the base figure even better and a more G1 look. Defender (If I had mine) would be on the same page for me, even though it is a figure in itself, but the fact it fits in with my Classics figures is fine.

Then you have these bloody targetmasters, that have no real appeal to me because they do not add to the Classics feel for me. Easy pass for me. And the legends BB and CJ, I have the deluxe, why would I want them? Those are purely a cash grab.

Reflector, even though I will buy the 3rd party one, I will more than likely get the Hasbro repaint as well. So Hasbro will still get their money from me.

This is mostly for people who are 'strict' when it comes to collection numbers.

When it comes 3rd party products counting in your collection, do people actually count them as if they were official?

I know I buy 3rd party products and I do display them for my own enjoyment as some of them do fill gaps in a display or improves a previously lacking official figure that would have otherwise looked odd or inappropriate for the character it was representing as 1Azrael1 was saying.

I display them just as proudly as any other toy and from a personal perspective, they do count but say someone was doing an official poll or I end up in a show like the Collectors as Tiby did, would I count them then? No.

Naturally I would still count the City Commander armored Classics Ultra Magnus as 1 because there is still an unchanged original figure inside and the same goes with other 'upgraded' figures in my collection as the official figure is still there. When it comes to stand alone 3rd party figures like Defender or Valkyrie, I would not count them.

If I was formally asked for a collection count I would only provide the official figure count excluding stand alone 3rd parties or would provide the 3rd party count as a separate number since technically they are not Transformers but since I only have 2 at this time, it may not even be worth mentioning.

I believe that most people who collect 3rd parties would probably not count them as 'official' in a formal poll since they are not licensed products even though personally, they are proud to own them.

Yep, I'm the same Kup.
    If I'm partaking in a count of Official Transformers, then 3rd party products don't even get factored in whereas if it's a count on 'Transforming Toys', then that's a different story.