Page 76 of 97 FirstFirst ... 566671727374757677787980818696 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Toy acquisitions (if no other topic exists).

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipes brother View Post
    This thing is awesome and soooo heavy!! It is mint as they come but box is a little dinged as can be seen.

*snip*
    Oh wow! - Nice score on the Rocklords vehicle dude!

The More Rocklords/Gobots Love The Better!

So last Thursday I was at my local Big W store looking to grab a Transformers: Hero-Mashers - Soundwave figure, as they're meant to be on deep discount so as to make way for new 2015 stock.

Upon arriving I notice the shelves had been rearranged and the Transformers floor stock area had been SEVERELY reduced and as a consequence, the figure that I was after that'd been shelfwarming for close to 6+ months had entirely vanished.

To say I was disappointed and kinda annoyed is putting it quite lightly; So my attention turned when I caught sight of, out of the corner of my eye, a trio of boxes in amongst the TMNT shelves & pegs that I thought too good to be true!

I turned and bee-lined for said shelf and to my astonishment & amazement there lay 3x (2014/15) Reissue '80s TMNT Party Vans!!!!

I couldn't believe my luck as these were only available at this particular chain for a limited time leading up to last year's Xmas Toy Sales (Or is that just the Mid-Year? ) in May/June, costing $60 and by the time I got to my local they were flying off the shelves and I missed out. :?
    (Had one in my hands but had to put it back owing to space & finances at the time )

I was determined to not let history repeat itself as I had wanted one of these toys since about '89/'90 (4 or 5y/o :P) and had never had an opportunity to own one in the 23 years after its initial release, so you can imagine how quickly I grabbed one and hit-up a scanner to see if they too were being discounted (Seeing as though they were likely old stock from storage)...

$30!

...I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story!

I'm so amazingly chuffed with this! - Even though the OG Turtles (Not Reissues ) are somewhat of a pain to decently position within it, I've gotta admit I got quite a bit childishly happy when they were all in & cruisin' in the Party Van, even more so when they met up with the NickToons Turtles, who jumped in to bust some shell!

That Turtle van is awesome!!

Does it feel cheaply made or is it nice and sturdy. I ask as i'm sure the plastic composition has changed since 89 and i believe the plastic these days is thinner and less durable.

I saw those reissue TMNT in my local Big W a couple of months ago for $12 each. I was so tempted as I was a huge fan back in the day but I only ever bought Raph. Long story short, I passed on them which I now regret. Nice score Hursti
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I saw those reissue TMNT in my local Big W a couple of months ago for $12 each. I was so tempted as I was a huge fan back in the day but I only ever bought Raph. Long story short, I passed on them which I now regret. Nice score Hursti
    I only like Ralph as it is the original turtle's colour.

That Turtle van is awesome!!

Does it feel cheaply made or is it nice and sturdy. I ask as i'm sure the plastic composition has changed since 89 and i believe the plastic these days is thinner and less durable.
    You're right to be sceptical SB, dude, especially with regards to the Reissue stuff as I'll go into a little further in answer to 5FDP's comments.

Unlike the Reissue Turtles themselves, this feels really quite solid indeed; The build quality seems very much on-par with that of the Accessories/Playsets Playmates was putting out back in the day, right down to the 2 steel rods/axles used - Such a nostalgic bit of engineering in of themselves!

I've given it a good going over, everywhere that needs to be thick is thick but sadly there has been no attempt to improve upon the design however - The little latch that holds the fling-out seat (Located in the ceiling of the Van, that passes through the top cross-member just behind the Driver's Seat/B-Pillar) is still thinner than I'd like it and I worry that after heavy use this will crack/stress and cause the seat to always fling out?...

The only other parts I'd raise as potentially problematic is the clips on either side of the Blast-guard that folds down over the front windshield; As soon as I popped these over the stalks that hold the Blast-guard in place, the clips immediately grew stress marks - I think these would break long before the above mentioned clip but really, I think it all comes down to how often/heavily you're going to muck around with the thing.

I better note that there are 4 sticker omissions with the Reissue (1 on the Fling-out door, the 2 Bombs & just at the base of the central laser atop the Blast-guard), along with all stickers being factory applied as opposed to sticking them on yourself as with the original.

I'd definitely recommend it however, so much easier than trying to get a good conditioned original with all it's parts; Best of all? - It's brand new and packaged in a near complete replica box!
    (It's housed in a plastic clamshell too, I assume the original was a foam insert )

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Truth be told 5FDP, mate, those Reissue Turtles are nothing but overpriced knockoffs in my opinion; They suffer badly from Mold degradation, the colours are off, the paint applications appear badly airbrushed and really light, not to mention they're actually noticeably smaller - Not by a heap but very glaringly obvious to the naked eye as you'll see here, here & here.

I bought the Reissue Raph & Donnie, as I needed a replacement Sai for my OG Raph and a new belt for OG Donnie - I paid a premium just for those 2 but sold them on eBay and recouped a bit of their cost.

Raph's Sai is ever so slightly off-colour & Donnie's belt was noticeably tighter too, owing to the downsizing of the Reissue; I also had to use a Yellow Highlighter to get the rich hue back into his Belt-buckle's "D" initial which worked REALLY well if I say so myself.

So you probably dodged a bullet there man, I'd say if you really want a set of the original TMNT figures? - Definitely buy the OG Brothers Green toys, may cost a little more but the quality speaks perfectly to the old adage: "They sure don't make 'em like they used to...".

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Truth be told 5FDP, mate, those Reissue Turtles are nothing but overpriced knockoffs in my opinion; They suffer badly from Mold degradation, the colours are off, the paint applications appear badly airbrushed and really light, not to mention they're actually noticeably smaller - Not by a heap but very glaringly obvious to the naked eye as you'll see here, here & here.

I bought the Reissue Raph & Donnie, as I needed a replacement Sai for my OG Raph and a new belt for OG Donnie - I paid a premium just for those 2 but sold them on eBay and recouped a bit of their cost.

Raph's Sai is ever so slightly off-colour & Donnie's belt was noticeably tighter too, owing to the downsizing of the Reissue; I also had to use a Yellow Highlighter to get the rich hue back into his Belt-buckle's "D" initial which worked REALLY well if I say so myself.

So you probably dodged a bullet there man, I'd say if you really want a set of the original TMNT figures? - Definitely buy the OG Brothers Green toys, may cost a little more but the quality speaks perfectly to the old adage: "They sure don't make 'em like they used to...".
    Thanks for the insight Hursti. Reading some of that information definitely makes me feel better on missing out on these. I was actually only going to buy Mikey, Leo, and Donny and pair them up with my original Raph. I now know that they would have looked very out-of-place. You're absolutely right in saying they don't make things like they used to.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Love me some Dinoriders!!!

Picked this up quite cheap. I think i liked MASK back in the day almost as much as TF. Just needs a clean up and will be awesome!

Both awesome!
    Spiderken Away!

Love me some Dinoriders!!!

Picked this up quite cheap. I think i liked MASK back in the day almost as much as TF. Just needs a clean up and will be awesome!
    Very nice. Always was a big fan of the Dino Riders and always wanted the Rhino. MASK was a great toy line!