View Poll Results: How do you rate Orion Pax Part 3?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • In a word... PRIME!

7 100.00%
  • yUm JaM!

0 0%
  • jAam!

0 0%
  • WhY mY ShOuLdErS hUrT?

0 0%
  • mY lIfE iS PaIn

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Episode Review: TF Prime Ep29: Orion Pax Part 3

Default Episode Review: TF Prime Ep29: Orion Pax Part 3

Another thoroughly enjoyable episode and an epic conclusion to the Orion Pax saga!

Thoughts:

* In terms of lighting/colouring this has been one very dark story arc - switching between Cybertron, the space-bridge cavern, inside the Decepticon ship and inside the Autobot base. In fact, the Autobot base and Cybertron (surface) are most well-lit sets, but still feels cold.

* The Insecticon's alt mode resembles a rhinoceros beetle (although looks alien enough not to be one) - reminiscent of G1 Insecticons Bombshell and Barrage.

* The story set up a good premise for separating Jack from Arcee and forcing Jack to proceed on his own; also having him enter the darkness alone. This is a visual thematic keynote to Jack's next great leap as the story's protagonist as he is taking a great leap into the unknown, cold, dark void. But yet it is a step that the hero must take. It's visually reminiscent of when Luke entered the cave on Dagobah, only then Yoda told Luke that despite the cave's scary look/feeling that it was relatively safe (i.e. he didn't need to bring his weapons). But there is no such reprieve for Jack here - he is entering the Cybertronian underground not knowing what to expect. This unknown creates a sense of fear and dread for Jack and the audience

* Again, I really like how this show gets the audience to connect with the protagonist, as all good stories should! And it's a human protagonist too - and historically humans haven't been done well in Transformers. They're either useless and interfering (like Miko) or they take up the limelight and the Autobots end up being accessories to them and we stop caring about them (like Sam Witwicky). But here I find that I continue to care about the Autobots as well as Jack. When I saw Arcee battle the Insecticon to give Jack time to get to Vector Sigma, there was a real sense of danger for her. She was essentially sacrificing herself to buy time for Jack -- Jack was more indispensable than she was because only he could activate the Key to Vector Sigma. And when Megatron came to the Space Bridge and Ratchet ordered the Autobots to hold the Bridge at all costs, it gave me that tingly feeling and a part of me went "YEAH!!" -- I personally felt more emotionally invested in all those characters than say half of the Autobots in ROTF or DOTM. (-_-)

* Megatron's desperation shows as he's forced to use threats of violence to elicit Orion Pax's compliance. It was also interesting seeing Orion Pax and Megatron playing a kind of "chess" game trying to outmanoeuvre each other -- Orion attempting to hide his secret research, Megatron showing that he's been monitoring his every move, Orion deleting his findings, Megatron having backed up all of this work... kinda reminds me of Beast Wars Megatron (a little bit) insofar that Megatron is using guile and cunning against his enemy and not just brute force. Of course, this Megatron's guile is nothing compared to BW Megatron (who had secret plans woven within secret plans -- keeping his true agenda hidden from friends and foe alike). So while this Megatron isn't anywhere near as sophisticated a villain as BW Megatron, it is still neat to see an antagonist who uses more than just his fists and fusion cannon as a weapon against his opponent.

* Bulkhead's line of [i]"Why does it have to be Scraplets?!" is reminiscent of Indiana Jones' line ("Why does it have to be snakes?!") in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Interesting follow up from last episode's recreation of Han Solo's scene at the Death Star Detention Block with Agent Fowler -- so that's two consecutive episodes referencing characters played by Harrison Ford in films directed by George Lucas!

* The music score in this episode and Transformers Prime as a whole is bloody awesome! I hope future TF series will consider using orchestral scores for background music (though not necessarily always for the opening/ending theme songs). The music really helps to carry and pace the emotions of the story (as it should). Where can I buy the CD??

* The rings around Vector Sigma kinda remind me of the way it looked in Beast Machines. And the main orb inside is multi-faceted like G1 Vector Sigma (as can be seen through the Scraplets' POV).

* Interesting to see that the Scraplets do need to feed off living metal -- this would explain why they haven't devoured Cybertron and also why they didn't chew through Jack's suit. Wait... so does that mean that the Vector Sigma interface is living metal?? (o_O) Or perhaps it was because it was being infused with Vector Sigma energies that made it palatable to the Scraplets -- although once Jack introduced them to the living Insecticon the Scraplets quickly forgot about the Vector Sigma interface. I guess they're kinda like Vampires and eating a live robot is like feasting off warm fresh blood whereas a machine being imbued with Cybertronian energy is like synthetic blood? <shrug> <---there's a question to peg at writers for anyone going to BotCon.

* Seeing Megatron's massive statue at Kaon was cool. Also Arcee explaining how Kaon was originally an Autobot city that was conquered by the Decepticons. This is a subtle but neat nod to G1 (re: expansion of Decepticon empire via conquest of Autobot City-States).

* Interestingly enough Optimus Prime has no memory of his recent stint as Orion Pax... this of course gives the Decepticons an advantage as he won't remember Project Iacon or any of the findings that he made. So it's interesting to see that the Decepticons didn't walk away from this completely empty handed either.

* Agent Fowler and June Darby seem to be exchanging friendly glances. A romance in the works? <shrug>

* So far Miko's been relegated to being stuck back at Autobot HQ ... so thankfully she hasn't been her usual annoying Jar Jar Binks-like self. I hope that they either continue to do this throughout the rest of the show, or make her grow up and be less useless/interfering! The use of Jack in this 3 parter is, IMO, how one should use human sidekicks in Transformers. Miko has been the example of how humans should NOT be used...

* I've been enjoying the more mature writing in these last 3 eps and I hope they keep it up for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Another thoroughly enjoyable episode and an epic conclusion to the Orion Pax saga!
    Too bloody right!
    The only thing that I would've liked to of seen at the very end of this episode, is Prime giving Jack a sincere and profound thanks for the undertaking he just endured.

* The Insecticon's alt mode resembles a rhinoceros beetle (although looks alien enough not to be one) - reminiscent of G1 Insecticons Bombshell and Barrage.
    I like how it was also kept generic enough not to be any of the named Insecticons; that being said, I hope we end up getting a Deluxe/Voyager figure of this one - named "Vermin".

* The story set up a good premise for separating Jack from Arcee and forcing Jack to proceed on his own; also having him enter the darkness alone. This is a visual thematic keynote to Jack's next great leap as the story's protagonist as he is taking a great leap into the unknown, cold, dark void. But yet it is a step that the hero must take. It's visually reminiscent of when Luke entered the cave on Dagobah, only then Yoda told Luke that despite the cave's scary look/feeling that it was relatively safe (i.e. he didn't need to bring his weapons). But there is no such reprieve for Jack here - he is entering the Cybertronian underground not knowing what to expect. This unknown creates a sense of fear and dread for Jack and the audience
    I thought it was excellently handled too, especially as there wasn't any unrealisticness to the situation (i.e. sudden onset of special powers etc.); I really like what they're doing with Arcee and Jack both individually and as a partnered team, this season is going to be rather excellent if this is any indication of anything.

* Again, I really like how this show gets the audience to connect with the protagonist, as all good stories should! And it's a human protagonist too - and historically humans haven't been done well in Transformers. They're either useless and interfering (like Miko) or they take up the limelight and the Autobots end up being accessories to them and we stop caring about them (like Sam Witwicky). But here I find that I continue to care about the Autobots as well as Jack. When I saw Arcee battle the Insecticon to give Jack time to get to Vector Sigma, there was a real sense of danger for her. She was essentially sacrificing herself to buy time for Jack -- Jack was more indispensable than she was because only he could activate the Key to Vector Sigma. And when Megatron came to the Space Bridge and Ratchet ordered the Autobots to hold the Bridge at all costs, it gave me that tingly feeling and a part of me went "YEAH!!" -- I personally felt more emotionally invested in all those characters than say half of the Autobots in ROTF or DOTM. (-_-)
    My only gripe with the Autobots holding the bridge is that they seemed so horribly underpowered compared to Megatron, I'm certainly not expecting them to be anywhere near his equal but I was hoping for more than just being glanced off by single punches or deflections; Good emotional weighting though and Bulkhead certainly got a good tackle in!

* Megatron's desperation shows as he's forced to use threats of violence to elicit Orion Pax's compliance. It was also interesting seeing Orion Pax and Megatron playing a kind of "chess" game trying to outmanoeuvre each other -- Orion attempting to hide his secret research, Megatron showing that he's been monitoring his every move, Orion deleting his findings, Megatron having backed up all of this work... kinda reminds me of Beast Wars Megatron (a little bit) insofar that Megatron is using guile and cunning against his enemy and not just brute force. Of course, this Megatron's guile is nothing compared to BW Megatron (who had secret plans woven within secret plans -- keeping his true agenda hidden from friends and foe alike). So while this Megatron isn't anywhere near as sophisticated a villain as BW Megatron, it is still neat to see an antagonist who uses more than just his fists and fusion cannon as a weapon against his opponent.
    Hasn't this been awesome?
    I agree that it's been sweet to see them battle with their minds for a change, as it shows how very alike they are whilst also reflecting their differences with Orion's predominately just being the younger less experienced bot.

This Megatron is very much second only to BW Megatron, he comes close but still has a bit of a journey ahead of him before he reaches that level of greatness.

* Bulkhead's line of [i]"Why does it have to be Scraplets?!" is reminiscent of Indiana Jones' line ("Why does it have to be snakes?!") in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Interesting follow up from last episode's recreation of Han Solo's scene at the Death Star Detention Block with Agent Fowler -- so that's two consecutive episodes referencing characters played by Harrison Ford in films directed by George Lucas!
    I didn't actually notice that, but now that you point it out it is quite intriguing isn't it?
    Perhaps it's foreshadowing a possible v/o guest appearance down the track?...

* The music score in this episode and Transformers Prime as a whole is bloody awesome! I hope future TF series will consider using orchestral scores for background music (though not necessarily always for the opening/ending theme songs). The music really helps to carry and pace the emotions of the story (as it should). Where can I buy the CD??
    Right here buddy.

* The rings around Vector Sigma kinda remind me of the way it looked in Beast Machines. And the main orb inside is multi-faceted like G1 Vector Sigma (as can be seen through the Scraplets' POV).
    Man, that thing screamed 'Event Horizon' to me so hardcore , though I was glad to see that behind the blinding light of the core was the G1 golf ball we all know and love ; That whole scene was awe inspiring and gave me a very similar feeling akin to seeing the Allspark Cube Transforming in the '07 Movie for the 1st time.

* Seeing Megatron's massive statue at Kaon was cool. Also Arcee explaining how Kaon was originally an Autobot city that was conquered by the Decepticons. This is a subtle but neat nod to G1 (re: expansion of Decepticon empire via conquest of Autobot City-States).
    The architecture of TF: Prime's Cybertron has been incredible, considering how dead and desolate it is; such stunning environments... It really makes me hope we get to see some 'dream sequences' of Cybertron back in it's hay day.

* Interestingly enough Optimus Prime has no memory of his recent stint as Orion Pax... this of course gives the Decepticons an advantage as he won't remember Project Iacon or any of the findings that he made. So it's interesting to see that the Decepticons didn't walk away from this completely empty handed either.
    I agree, it serves to reserve something for later narrative by having him not remember exactly what he had done whilst existing as Orion Pax, allowing the Decepticons to come away with the research that he was unwittingly performing; that being said though, they've done away with a great opportunity to add to Prime's character by not having him remember his time - Even if it were to just surface in certain character traits like decisions and mannerisms.

* Agent Fowler and June Darby seem to be exchanging friendly glances. A romance in the works? <shrug>
    I'm sure I remember hearing Fowler mention in an earlier episode that he had a wife... I might be mistaken though.

* So far Miko's been relegated to being stuck back at Autobot HQ ... so thankfully she hasn't been her usual annoying Jar Jar Binks-like self. I hope that they either continue to do this throughout the rest of the show, or make her grow up and be less useless/interfering! The use of Jack in this 3 parter is, IMO, how one should use human sidekicks in Transformers. Miko has been the example of how humans should NOT be used...
    I agree here too, hopefully they take Miko in a direction that plays to her personality and character but utilises them in an actually useful manner; Raf on the other hand I'm quite happy with him being left out the back of the base somewhere pretending to be on Arctic Expeditions, I don't care if he's 12 - Unless he's born of a Human protoform it makes no sense for him to be able to understand BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Too bloody right!
    The only thing that I would've liked to of seen at the very end of this episode, is Prime giving Jack a sincere and profound thanks for the undertaking he just endured.
    Memory gap. It was Orion Pax who witnessed Jack exiting the Space Bridge and giving the Matrix to him. But all those memories would have been lost when the Matrix was re-uploaded into Optimus Prime.

In a way it's a more literal take on IDW's recent "Death of Optimus Prime"... IDW's was purely figurative - i.e. Optimus Prime giving the halves of the Matrix to Rodimus and Bumblebee then relinquishing his command and going into self-imposed exile; heralding the "death" of Optimus Prime and "rebirth" of Orion Pax - here we had the "death" of the Optimus Prime persona and rebirth of Orion Pax. But then when the Matrix was returned, Orion Pax "died" again and Optimus Prime was "reborn."

So yeah, unless someone explains to him what Jack did, Prime will have no knowledge of it. And the episode ended shortly after everyone returned to the base, and I'm sure the story will be relayed to Optimus Prime later on (as well as having his insignias rebranded!); but I suspect that we won't see it.

It's one of those things that'd be neat to see as fans, but aren't ultimately essential to the plot and ends up being edited out of the story before animation even begins. You got 20-something minutes to tell a story, gotta keep things tight. I don't know how packed the next ep is gonna be -- maybe if they have the time they can squeeze in a quick scene at the beginning where a newly-rebranded Optimus Prime thanks Jack personally. <shrug>

Otherwise... there's always fan fics?

I like how it was also kept generic enough not to be any of the named Insecticons; that being said, I hope we end up getting a Deluxe/Voyager figure of this one - named "Vermin".
    Bob

thought it was excellently handled too, especially as there wasn't any unrealisticness to the situation (i.e. sudden onset of special powers etc.);

My only gripe with the Autobots holding the bridge is that they seemed so horribly underpowered compared to Megatron, I'm certainly not expecting them to be anywhere near his equal but I was hoping for more than just being glanced off by single punches or deflections; Good emotional weighting though and Bulkhead certainly got a good tackle in!
    Yeah, it was a pretty munchkinesque Drift moment for Megatron, wasn't it? But hey... at least the Autobots all put in a decent effort in fighting back -- not like say so many other times in TFs where the Munchkin character is powered up by fighting against completely incompetent and useless opponents.
    e.g. Sixshot killing Ultra Magnus, Cheetor vs Blackarachnia etc.
    I quite dislike scenes where a character is made to look powerful by making their opposition totally useless - no challenge for the antagonist. Here at least the Autobots are attacking Megatron properly... he just happens to be that hardcore!

Bulkhead: I attack Megatron. <rolls> Woo, 17!
    GM: <rolls> 8...
    Bulkhead: Yeah! <rolls for damage>
    GM: Wait wait, I got a +1 to dodge. <rolls> Gah, 3.
    Bulkhead: Suck it!
    GM: Oh, but you also gotta roll to save versus fear, cos Megatron is that scary and all you Autobots are shotting yourselves.
    Ratchet: What??! That's bullspat!
    GM: Everyone roll!
    Bumblebee: What's the save?
    GM: 17
    Arcee: That's stupid!!
    GM: Why do you care? You're still unconscious on Cybertron until you can beat a save of 11.
    Arcee: <rolls> Damn... 10.
    GM: <rolls> <rolls> <rolls> There's a Scraplet nibbling on your foot now.
    Arcee: Son of a b---
    Bulkhead: <rolls> Crap, 6.
    Bumblebee: <rolls> 13.
    Ratchet: <rolls> 1?!?
    GM: Ratchet gets thrown across the chamber.
    Ratchet: F*#$ you!!
    GM: <rolls> You're unconscious.
    Ratchet: I'm getting a Mountain Dew...

Right here buddy.
    Thank you, sir!

I agree here too, hopefully they take Miko in a direction that plays to her personality and character but utilises them in an actually useful manner; Raf on the other hand I'm quite happy with him being left out the back of the base somewhere pretending to be on Arctic Expeditions, I don't care if he's 12 - Unless he's born of a Human protoform it makes no sense for him to be able to understand BB.
    I prefer Raf over Miko ... just cos I find Miko that annoying! Yeah the understanding Bumblebee thing has never made sense and has always been pretty lame... but I guess it's been so entrenched now that I just suspend disbelief with it.

Meh... a wizard did it.

"Are you....Certain I'm worthy?"

"You have no Idea."

These two lines of Dialogue were so...very powerful. I think Prime's hit it's stride and hopefully the days of lacklustre eps are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    I think Prime's hit it's stride and hopefully the days of lacklustre eps are gone.
    +1.

Season 1 was rather haphazard - some eps were good, others were rather ordinary. I do hope that this standard is maintained throughout season 2 though... cos Animated Season 2 started out strong, but then that had some rather ordinary episodes too (although Season 3 was more consistently strong).

So yeah... a great start to Season 2 -- let's hope it can maintain this momentum for the rest of the series.

Am I the only one bothered about the fact that when the matrix is functional in him, he is Optimus Prime, yet when it's not, he's Orion Pax, and Pax doesn't know of Prime and Prime can't remember what happend whilst being Pax?

It almost seems as if the two are completely seperate entities, which to me doesn't make sense. I understand that Pax becomes Prime with the Matrix, but the way that he reverted to Pax, it is almost as if Prime is solely contained in the Matrix. Yes, the knowledge of the Primes is in there, which is handy, but if the Matrix is all that is needed, then there is no reason for Optimus to be so great. You could therefore give the matrix to Bumblebee or Bulkhead and they would both be awesome Primes because all that makes Prime great IS the Matrix.

So in essence what I am saying is that when Prime gets the Matrix back, he has no recollection of being Pax, thereby losing any experiences as Pax. I think it would be safe to assume then that he shouldn't remember being Pax at all(as an archiver). this doesn't make sense to me. Even after the Matrix is given back to him, he should revert to Prime, but surely he would still remember being Pax in Megatron's base? After all, we are who we are due to the experiences we have had up until this point, so Optimus makes a great Prime due to his time as Orion Pax, therefore ;

Pax + Matrix = Optimus Prime.

But the way those episodes played out.

Any Transformer + Matrix (can)= Optimus Prime.

I don't see how Orion's time on the Nemesis can be so cleanly cut from Optimus' memory when they are supposed to be one and the same.

Aside from that, great show. I love this Megatron, him kicking the Autobot's asses all over the place was great. Such a foreboding presence. When he appeared through the gate I was all "Oh ho ho no.... You Autobots are in for it now!" Just his own confidence that he can handle pretty much anything in a fight makes him very cool!

Even optimus hasn't really bested him to any great degree yet.

this is one Megatron I don't see getting his head blwon off and whinging about not being in command

It's something that struck me as odd in the final episode of Season 1 - I guess after that I just accepted the premise and suspended disbelief. I don't know if the Cosmic MacGuffin can make any Transformer a Prime -- it may have no effect (or detrimental effect) on a Cybertronian who isn't designated to be a Prime. But I suppose it can transform any 'compatible' (designated?) TF into a Prime... ermm... a wizard did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    "Are you....Certain I'm worthy?"

"You have no Idea."

These two lines of Dialogue were so...very powerful. I think Prime's hit it's stride and hopefully the days of lacklustre eps are gone.
    Couldn't agree more. My jaw dropped when Megatron lifted up Ratchet by his head and casually tossed him OFF THE PLATFORM.

My toddler got a bit of a fright from the screaming Insecticon on this mornings episode - only the 2nd time I've ever seen something on TV spook him

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    My toddler got a bit of a fright from the screaming Insecticon on this mornings episode - only the 2nd time I've ever seen something on TV spook him
    I watched this episode with my boys on TV... They loved it... At the end of the episode they were excitedly running around the house saying Optimus isnt a Decepticon anymore. The whole episode my 2 yr old daughter was pretending to be Arcee and everytime that Arcee was on screen she would say 'look Dad theres me Arcee' 'Im Arcee' it was really cute.