Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RUMOUR: BotCon 2014 Is At...

it's a bit of a conundrum for me, do I try to get a room in the main hotel, which I've heard is pretty good going to the bar and meeting a whole lot of other fans.

or do I book at the same motel I stayed at in 2011, better price, nice rooms, little bar fridge (which the bigger hotels didn't have) and free in room wifi (which the others didn't have either)... it's just a good 10 - 15 minute walk from the convention centre at least.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by fatbot View Post
    Has the location been confirmed? Or is this all speculation?
    When you click on the link above, go to the Discussion link to see what the original info is and how they claimed to have gotten it (through the website and by phone - it suggests that anyone can just ring up and find it out for themselves).

Considering the last couple years, this will probably be the peak of excitement for BotCon next year from the fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    it's a bit of a conundrum for me, do I try to get a room in the main hotel, which I've heard is pretty good going to the bar and meeting a whole lot of other fans.

or do I book at the same motel I stayed at in 2011, better price, nice rooms, little bar fridge (which the bigger hotels didn't have) and free in room wifi (which the others didn't have either)... it's just a good 10 - 15 minute walk from the convention centre at least.
    I stayed in the main hotel which is close to the action (and easy to drop off purchases and go back for more!) and means sharing rather small lifts with a heap of fans and wondering why the ATM is out of money by day 2...

I've also stayed 10-15 minute walk away, which gives you a bit of a break from it all and you occasionally find someone else in a TF-shirt walking the same direction to have a quick chat to.

Free wifi and a fridge and a cheaper price sounds well worth it. You can always visit the hotel bar even if you're not staying there.

And somehow figure out how to justify spending $1800 on airfairs, this is a lot more expensive than I recall.

I would love to see Botcon in Chicago, 2 movies have been set there, it would be a good place to host it.

Plus I have a friend that lives there and my wife would be coming with me so atleast she won't be bored looking at Transformers for the entire weekend.

The first one had a little bit featuring Hoover Dam... so if you go to Pasadena, spend 4-5 days in Vegas first (or after) and tour the Dam. Vegas is only 4 hour drive from LA, or about 45 minutes in the air.... and it is worth the detour. (I should be going back there next year for a few days before the convention, just to get it all in and see a few shows)

While I still intend to go, I had a look at the hotel rates for a week around that date and f*** me, they charge like a wounded bull! I'll have no choice but to share a room with someone.
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...1496#post61496

If it's the same hotel / location as 2009 then it's a really good choice. The only downside is that the hotel bar/lobby is pretty small but there's a lot of restaurants over the road and the hotel did have a free shuttle service to take you anywhere within a few km's.

The downside is that it is a fairly small hotel, as in, it doesn't have a lot of rooms to begin with, let alone a reserved portion that would be at a discounted rate.
    Looking on the website for that period the two rates are about $200 & $250... depending on if you pay a deposit or a non-refundable pre-payment.

I rang up a little while ago and they are already fully booked for the 18th to 22nd... and the person couldn't see any discount rates for that time, so I'm not sure if the quoted $139 is a guess from previous years, or a rate that is no longer in their system (due to being sold out already, or being removed to prevent people from getting in before it is announced).
    If this is the the weekend and location, alternative hotels will already be needed, and at a discounted rate.
    (I personally have a preference of the main or adjoining hotel, as you get to see fans and guests during the weekend, and is convenient if you tend to buy a lot of stuff.)

In the TFW discussion topic, Pete from FunPub made it known that he was aware of the news rumour, but didn't say anything about it at all (he was commenting on something with the pre-funpub BotCons).

It's also worth mentioning... if it is in Pasadena next year, there should be another IDW VIP tour, as a couple of the IDW staff were saying that the next time BotCon is in LA, they would organise a day-trip tour down to San Diego (doing something there as well as the tour) if there was enough interest for it. If it does happen, hopefully they give more notice for it, like after the dates are announced but before pre-registration.

I've been looking at other motels in the area and the one I went to last time has at least one day in the week booked out. there are only two showing up less than half a mile from the convenstion centre that have the whole week available.

hmmm.