Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers: The Movie 30th Anniversay Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I dunno, some of those before and after shots look like they are comparing the difference between DVD and BluRay (which is an upgrade for America who've never had the movie on BluRay, but not for us).
    I'm in agreement with you here Paul, I expect overall it is better than the Blu-ray cut we have now but the difference between it and the US DVD cut will be much more apparent.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Sigh. Did they really force it to widescreen? I really hated that about the previous bluray release since it'll crop part of the top of the screen off.

That makes this an easy pass for me.

Why is that a problem, surely the original cinematic release is widescreen?
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Seibertron has in-hands of the release, and if you hate the new artwork, it seems the regular release (as opposed to the steelbook) is the way to go as it has a reversible cover with the original Japanese art:

Not sure if it is the same with the DVD though...
    Last edited by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!!; 24th August 2016 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Why is that a problem, surely the original cinematic release is widescreen?
    Nope. It was originally produced in normal (TV) format, and then had the top and bottom cropped for theatre release. Some video/dvd versions had the restored original format, but others cropped the sides of the cropped theatre release, giving even less of the screen. It means that it is hard to know when a new release is the original "full" version until you see it for yourself... so at least on this occasion, they are giving a preview first, to let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Sigh. Did they really force it to widescreen? I really hated that about the previous bluray release since it'll crop part of the top of the screen off.

That makes this an easy pass for me.
    The cover MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! posted shows it's got two aspect ratios on the disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Ok, I am now officially excited for this, having seen the restoration video. Definite buy on day one of the region B copy being released.
    Not overly impressed by the restoration. Everything is crisper but it's lost that 80's sheen which arguably forms a great deal of the nostalgic charm. The way every restored image is darker seems like they simply applied a cheap contrast filter.

I also wasn't a big fan of the first time they remastered it in 1080p back in the 2000's. The blown up image really highlighted animation imperfections like dirt and speckles and all the line art looked jagged and unclean.

Too each their own I guess, for me personally I've spent my fair share watching grittier copies so having a shiny clean version, even if it may look a little more sterile, is a nice change. I said before I've only ever had the Madman DVD version so yeah, this new version is for me.

I dig the cover art. Kinda reminds me of the Big Looker G1 storybooks.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain