Page 45 of 154 FirstFirst ... 253540414243444546474849505565 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Recently picked up Wild At Heart on blu ray for really cheap. Forgot how bizarre that film is. It is a David Lynch film after all though.

Makes me want to track down Lost Highway too. And rewatch all Twin Peaks.

Saw The Winter Soldier on the weekend.

I was impressed. Cap does a fair bit of arse kicking in this one
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Saw The Winter Soldier on the weekend.

I was impressed. Cap does a fair bit of arse kicking in this one
    So does Black Widow...

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    So does Black Widow...
    ^this

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Makes me want to track down Lost Highway too...
    Bloody good soundtrack that one.

Just came back from watching 'The Dark Crystal' at the Astor.
    Well worth watching on the big screen after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Not a bad movie but my wife loves it. It's one of her favourites from childhood. Would be good to take her to see it at the movies.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Check out Jim Hensons Creature Shop Challenge if you have not yet seen it. Its an American reality show were the winner gets a contract with the Henson Creature Shop. Its got the usual bitchiness and drama that all reality shows have. They team up and complete different challenges each week, usually making something within a few days.

In episode 2 they had to invent a new Skeksi from The Dark Crystal. They had 3 days to design and build, and then a puppeteer performed inside the creature for each team on a sound stage. Great episode.

Just watched a Bollywood scary movie called A Flat. It's so weird... despite being this dark and serious scary film, it manages to put in no less than two Bollywood style musical scenes... the first one is rather sensual, but the second is really upbeat with music and dancing etc. And it goes on for a while, which really makes the spooky feel of the film feel disjointed. But I've been told that this is what sells in India, and that movies without a musical number tend to not do well, so I guess from a marketing POV it's understandable, but from a story-telling POV it's really quite campy and just stalls the plot during the whole scene like most of the supposedly funny scenes in a Michael Bay film. There's a third musical moment, but it's done better and fits in reasonably well with the scene of the movie (it works more like a musical narrative rather and goes with the flow of the story rather than stalling it).

The soundtrack also sometimes goes over the top in some places, and I think that for a movie of this genre, less would've been more. This movie would've been scarier if the damn soundtrack didn't give away every scary moment. Scary movies are spookier when you've got dead silence and suddenly something freakin' horrifying just jumps at you! The orchestra just does all this build up, so by time you see the scary thing, you've already braced yourself and it's just... well... not as scary. And some of the scary elements weren't terribly original either, but the story does have some nice surprises (particularly with the roles of the protagonist and antagonist) and builds well to its final conclusion.

Trailer

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

The Winter Soldier.

<Spoilers>

I was blown away by this movie! It was everything I hoped for and more.
    I enjoyed how it showcased more of Caps abilities than the previous First Avenger and Avengers, such as when they he gets aboard the pirate ship at the beginning and simply takes down almost everyone whilst running past them, it looked brutal and elegant at the same time.

The espionage and intrigue was also great, and I couldn't help but think of Civil War when SHIELD/HYDRA came after him. The cinema I saw it in was full of people who obviously didn't know who The Winter Soldier was, so when his mask came off it was revealed to be Bucky it was met with a unified 'Gasp!' and whisperings of 'OMG! It's his friend! It's Bucky!' something I haven't experienced at the movies in some time.

I also loved Sam and Steve's relationship, it felt great and natural to me, and Anthony Mackie looked fantastic as The Falcon!

4 Stars from, it would be 5 but, for reasons unknown to me, I found Black Widow to be kinda annoying in this one