Thread: Shane McCarthy to do more Transformers writing

Default Shane McCarthy to do more Transformers writing

After his stint at All Hail Megatron and the Drift mini-series a few years ago, plus the Mars Attacks Transformers last year, it was hinted last November that Shane McCarthy was starting on another Transformers project.
    Now he's posted on his blog, that he's definitely working on Transformers again... but gives no details because that's for IDW to do.

Not that I ever LEFT the desk but I’m back at the desk working on a Transformers project at the moment. The last few years have been spent focusing on traveling and teaching (dance) and working on my novel and creator owned comics (slow going) so it’s really exciting to be back working on the Bots and Cons. I would LOVE to be able to tell you all about it and who I’m working with but NO CAN DO! I’m sure you’ll be hearing about it soon…ish.
    Since there is stronger editor control of the overall story now, compared to when AHM was commissioned, if McCarthy is able to bring his Mars Attacks writing style to the current ongoing comics, he could prove to be a more acceptable contribution to Transformers comics by fans now.

However, the timing of this could mean that he's doing the comic adaptation of the Movie, as it is too late for him to be taking on any of the new "season" comic series, and since John Barber is senior editor now, he wouldn't be able to do the Movie adaptation this year, like the previous ones. (which would be a shame, because Barber was the only person who was able to make sense from what Bay did to the original scripts, and give us explanations in the comic of what didn't make sense on screen)

The AHM story was apparently originally intended as an alternate universe stand-alone "what if", like the GIJoe crossovers.... and later forcibly roped into the ongoing universe and padded out into 12 issues (which wasn't his fault, but his name made him the target). The writing on that series wasn't bad, and if it had remained a stand-alone "Gen1" story of just 6 issues, it might have made it more acceptable by fans.
    Then his Drift story was another one that, on its own, was a better story than AHM, but it was forced on us to sell the newly released Drift toy, so McCarthy and his new character were not well received (but again, someone a lot higher than the Writer was responsible for Drift to be in our faces so much at that time).
    Last year's Mars Attacks story was a clever tongue-in-cheek story, with a humorous subtext to the plot, making it an enjoyable, light read.
    So based on his improving results, and seemingly tighter editorial control over the writers now, his next effort shouldn't upset as many apple carts.
    (and he's Australian too... so he's gotta get some points there as well )

At least, wait and see what he does this time, before judging him on past efforts that were written for a different time, and for different reasons (by Hasbro and IDW).

Considering Drift has been out of action in the MTMTE storyline, couldn't he be working on a continuation of Drift's adventures?

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Considering Drift has been out of action in the MTMTE storyline, couldn't he be working on a continuation of Drift's adventures?
    Damn, didn't want to read that ><

Just when people were beginning to warm up to Drift...

Here's hoping it is more one issue stand alone style stuff that I can avoid.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Hopefully he's only doing the movie tie-ins, because at least he can't make the movie universe any worse. Also, it has a Drift in it now.

I didn't have any big problems with AHM and I really liked Drift. It's pretty uncommon these days to get a new character in Transformers Fiction, Drift isn't just another Gun or sword, he's someone who's done a lot of Bad and if I recall the story properly, was undergoing a lot of soul searching and self doubt as a result.

Perhaps not the most original character in modern fiction but seriously how many new characters have there been in the last decade that can't have some element of their character considered a reflection of something we've already seen.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I didn't have any big problems with AHM and I really liked Drift. It's pretty uncommon these days to get a new character in Transformers Fiction, Drift isn't just another Gun or sword, he's someone who's done a lot of Bad and if I recall the story properly, was undergoing a lot of soul searching and self doubt as a result.

Perhaps not the most original character in modern fiction but seriously how many new characters have there been in the last decade that can't have some element of their character considered a reflection of something we've already seen.
    The problem was that Drift didn't need to be a new character, McCarthy just needed to use Carnivac, Cancer, Star Saber or any other number of Transformers who already would have fit that role. It's fine to make up a character when existing ones don't work (e.g. Rung, Emirate Xaaron, Botanica, Alice, etc) but not when it's a cliché we already have in abundance in the Transformers universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    The problem was that Drift didn't need to be a new character, McCarthy just needed to use Carnivac, Cancer, Star Saber or any other number of Transformers who already would have fit that role. It's fine to make up a character when existing ones don't work (e.g. Rung, Emirate Xaaron, Botanica, Alice, etc) but not when it's a cliché we already have in abundance in the Transformers universe.
    I don't know who any of those characters are. I've heard of Star Saber. but i've never seen them on the screen or in any comics, not that I've read much of the original G1 comics.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    ^90%* agree. The G1 universe is chock full of so many characters that writers can tap into and use. I really appreciate writers who take advantage of this. It not only shows a greater awareness of the G1 universe, but also feels far more satisfying for me as a G1 fan seeing G1 characters who've been previously underused (or not used at all) finally getting media appearances. Ironfist, Rotorstorm, Pyro --- Hasbro Overlord!! Phwoar! And of course, finally giving Thundercracker the characterisation he deserved (as per his original tech specs bio from 1984!). Each time I see these things appear in the comics, it makes me think, "I see what you did there."

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I don't know who any of those characters are. I've heard of Star Saber. but i've never seen them on the screen or in any comics, not that I've read much of the original G1 comics.
    They're all G1 Transformers. Carnivac's toy was never released in Australia, but he did appear in the G1 comics. Cancer is a Japanese G1 character, although his toy is identical to Squeezeplay.

-----------------------------------------------------
    *My 10% disagreement comes from my personal dislike of non-toy characters making prominent appearances in canon. I'd rather writers just work with existing toy characters as much as possible.