Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Digital Photography Equipment Thread

Default The Digital Photography Equipment Thread

Hey all,

I thought I would start a thread for all those that are into digital photography, where we can discuss equipment, etc.

Newbies can also feel free to ask for advice before investing in a camera (and/or lens, etc).

Please also feel free to post about what sort of equipment you have too.

Here's what I have invested in over the past couple of months:

Body:
    Canon EOS 550D

Lenses:
    EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6
    EF 50mm f/1.8

Next on the wish/shopping list is the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 - would love feedback on this lens if anyone here has one.

Awesome thread! I actually teach a Digital Photography night class at my local TAFE and I am always happy to help answer questions etc.

Here's what I currently use:

Body:
    Nikon D80 (it's old and dying and I'm planning on upgrading soon)

Lenses:
    Nikon 18-135mm f3.5-5.6
    Sigma 24-70mm f2.8
    Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro

I'm hoping to invest in a Nikon D700 soon but it all depends on money. If only it grew on trees, right?

Quite a good idea man, just try not to be consuming anything whilst reading my camera's specs.

Body:
    Nikon Coolpix 3200

Lens:
    In-built 38-115 mm f/2.8-4.9

Amazing huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    Awesome thread! I actually teach a Digital Photography night class at my local TAFE and I am always happy to help answer questions etc.
    Ah cool - I'm thinking of enrolling myself in one of those courses - so far, I have only done a day course teaching the basics.

I'm hoping to invest in a Nikon D700 soon but it all depends on money. If only it grew on trees, right?
    Yes, photography is an expensive hobby - almost as big a money pit as cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Quite a good idea man, just try not to be consuming anything whilst reading my camera's specs.
    Lol

Even still, you've managed to come up with some fine pics Hursty!

I shudder to think what results you would get from an SLR.

Good idea! Right now I have an old Olympus D770 but I'm going to upgrade soon. I'm leaning towards the Nikon d5100 for the hdr features and it has the same sensor as the more expensive d7000.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Nikon d5100 for the hdr features and it has the same sensor as the more expensive d7000.
    And the war wages on... Nikon Vs. Canon - similar to Ford Vs. Holden in many ways... once you adopt one clan, most people stick with it for life.

The d5100 is a fine camera, yet I found Canon's easier to use, so that's why I went that way (after playing around with a few of my friend's DSLRs).

Reviews only tell one side of the story - hands on play is a different thing altogether, so my advice is to have a fiddle with them first (if you can) and see what feels more 'right' to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    And the war wages on... Nikon Vs. Canon.
    I knew that was going to pop up here sooner or later. I try to keep myself unbiased but... Nikon are far superior. SORRY!

Nikon are far superior. SORRY!
    They probably are (since I'm no expert) - but all I know is that I find Canons easier and more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    And the war wages on... Nikon Vs. Canon - similar to Ford Vs. Holden in many ways... once you adopt one clan, most people stick with it for life.

The d5100 is a fine camera, yet I found Canon's easier to use, so that's why I went that way (after playing around with a few of my friend's DSLRs).

Reviews only tell one side of the story - hands on play is a different thing altogether, so my advice is to have a fiddle with them first (if you can) and see what feels more 'right' to you.
    Good point but I've found that once you get used to the menus and things it's not really an issue.
    I had a play with a few SLRs at the photo expo a couple of weeks back. I did like the d3100 in-camera step by step guide. Didn't get a chance to look at the Canons though, too many people at the booth.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Didn't get a chance to look at the Canons though, too many people at the booth.
    That should tell you something!