Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Botcon 2014 brochure

Default Botcon 2014 brochure

the brochure is up, with it going on sale/order sometime the week of may 5

Quote Originally Posted by Funpub email

Hello Everyone!

Sorry this has taken so long to get to you but the BotCon 2014 brochure is finally online at BotCon.com. We have been waiting on the final details for the TRANSFORMERS FAN EXPERIENCE at Universal Studios Hollywood, and we got the green light today! This will be a fantastic event at this year's 30th Anniversary Transformers Celebration! Don't miss it!

Our current plan is to let you ask question for the next couple of weeks and then we plan to start registration sometime the week of May 5th.

Please use the email links at BotCon.com and make sure you read the FAQs before we start registration.

See you in Pasadena!

Brian
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...1496#post61496

Some time after May 5th? Really?
    With just 6 weeks to go, that's pretty last minute for finalising travel details, time off work, and other activities before/after the Convention, even for Americans travelling a shorter/cheaper distance (and it's past the cut-off for me to utilise a travel agent's $150 voucher - which I was going to use on a tour or theme-park, depending on what I managed to get into on the pre-registration... I might just have to book something with it, and hope I get lucky and are able to end up using it).

For those interested - the Brochure PDF file can be found here.

I was nervous when I read the bit in the email about "Fan experience", expecting that FunPub would screw it up like they did with the Hasbro tour and some Peter Cullen autograph sessions (allocated to people, many of whom didn't want it, or didn't even get to it). But then I read the brochure, and saw that it is for everyone who registers the full (attending boxset) packages.

Good...
    - Fan experience at Universal Studios Friday Afternoon... and it is an included feature, not an add-on that could end up being mis-handled.
    - The Fan Experience is access the Universal Studios for about 5 hours into the night (including 3 hours after it closes at 8pm that day, just for us fans to have exclusive run of the place).
    - The Custom Class figure will again be available to purchase, to prevent people from taking up valuable spots in the Custom Classes who only want to sell their figure. It is more important to allow those who want to experience the fun of constructing their toys and custom painting them, and who value them too much to ever want to sell it.
    - Four classes of 60, making it 240 places. That should help keep availability open for the first few days of pre-registration, and not sell out in the first 10 minutes to the lucky few (who mostly resell their figure for profit).
    - The pre-Con tour to Six Flags Rollercoaster park is one I'm not too interested in, so if I can get into the Wednesday Custom Class, I won't be upset about missing out on one of the Pre-Con tours.
    - The LA Tour on Thursday is significantly different to the Tour in 2007, and includes some LA locations I have been interested in checking out in the past (CityHall, Union Station, Sunset Strip, Disney Hall, Griffith Park Observatory (a scene in the first TFs movie was filmed there), and the Santa Monica Pier).

Bad....
    - No real emphasis on this being a "30th Anniversary Celebration of the Brand". There were a couple of mentions of the figure over the five pages of the brochure, but the greater focus is still mostly on the Pirates & Knights... when it should be the other way around (saying something like, "Celebrating 30 years of Transformers, featuring Knights & Pirates" instead of saying "a whole new theme while also celebrating 30 years of the Transformers").
    - Full registration (Primus Package) goes up another $30 ($395 this year), while the non-member set goes up $45 ($495 this year, now making it cheaper to buy any membership first, even the foreign membership - it is always odd that they have that other price in the past, but now it is obviously a way to boost membership, as ALL non-attendees buying a set will be forced to be a member if they want save money and get a bonus toy as a member... and it increases the number of potential customers who will now be able to order direct any exclusives & Subscription figures at prices less than secondary sources like BBTS). The other problem with a redundant non-member price is that it sometimes over-charges members when there is a glitch between the two websites (logging in to the club site and registering for BotCon).
    - Less than half loose sets this year, down from 550 last year to 250 this year. I wonder why there is such a small number this time... and will that make it more likely to sell out fast this year because of people wanting to re-sell Scorponok at a premium.
    - the same number of Golden Tickets as last year, which might be in greater demand this year, despite a perceived downturn in support for FunPub (the boxset, guests and "fan experience" may have offset that downturn). I don't like the "elitist" element of the GT, or the opportunity for FunPub to make an extra $30,000 for just one extra expense on their part (a Saturday night reception with most of the main guests)... but for the things I have to do at BotCon (cover the news, bring back as many at-show toys as time allows, meet the main guests without missing Panels), this is a welcomed feature for me (and in turn, you guys who read the news and get the toys through me).
    - No Dinner or Hall of Fame event/element this year... so it looks like the concept has indeed died. The Saturday night schedule is so empty that they are actually promoting the MSTF panel as their featured Saturday night entertainment. Maybe a last-minute addition occurs for something more formal like a dinner. (unless you have a Golden Ticket, it might be the first year since BotCon 1995(?) that a meal won't be provided at the convention to pre-registrants)
    - No Movie advance screening, despite it being just a week out from its release, so should be ready. Not even a sampling this time, like the last two movies... I'm really hoping that the empty Saturday Night will have a last minute addition of the Movie screening.
    - My preferred Pre-Con tour is on Thursday, which means fighting to get into the Wednesday Custom Class (which is the more popular one and always sells out first).

Am neutral about...
    - We get a bit more backstory to this year's story, suggesting a raiding of Cybertron by a band of "pirates" led by post-Rebirth Scorponok, and repelled by the "Knights of Cybertron".
    - collector pins (one for first-day registration, and one for Golden Ticket holders)... I think this was one of the "GIJoe" Convention elements (looking like military patches or medals) that FunPub are sticking to for their rigid BotCon format. But is it really something people care about, or even notice. It feels like a redundant frill for BotCon, and an expense that could be spent elsewhere at the Convention (like exclusive accessories).
    - "Each Exhibitor booth will receive one surprise bonus figure." This was on previous Brochures, but I never picked up on it before. I might have to find out what it is (it is likely to be the attendee figure, but I was under the impression that Dealers got a Boxset with the purchase of their booth... maybe I was mistaken about that).
    - no Construct-Bots segment of the Art Contest, which was something the Hasbro people said last year that they were interested in doing this year.
    - Six Flags Rollercoaster park again. What's wrong with Disneyland? Of all the years in Pasadena, they've never had the most famous themepark in California. I've been to it myself, but would much rather go there than Six Flags (and it is would be closer too). But I'm neutral with this, because if I want to get into a Custom Class I have to hope that there are NOT two good pre-Con tours (as I'd have to sacrifice something).
    - No hint of an IDW tour from IDW yet, which would need a whole day to go to San Diego and back. If one is offered this year, it's not likely to be before Wednesday... and even if it is, most people will already have travel booked to prevent it, or have other things planned on that day.

Prices for reference (add US$82 for Membership if not currently a member, as it is still cheaper than non-member prices)....
    $395 - Primus Pack (attending, with boxset)
    $395 - Iacon Pack (NON-attending, with boxset... plus postage)
    $185 - Protoform pack (attending, NO boxset or Fan Experience)
    $110 - Minicon pack (attending child, with boxset)
    $695 - Golden Ticket (attending, with boxset & some extras)
    $20 - Day pass (entry Saturday or Sunday only, no extras) ($10 for children)
    $60 - Day pass earlybird access Saturday (9am - an hour earlier than normal Daypass)
    -
    Pre-registration Add-ons
    $280 - Loose set
    $120 - Custom Class
    $75 - Fan Experience (only if Protoform Pack or Dealer)
    $80 - Wednesday Tour (Six Flags)
    $62 - Thursday Tour (LA Tour)
    $?? - T-shirt (about $25)
    $?? - hat (about $20)
    -
    At-show extras
    $75 - Custom Class toy
    $?? - big 2-pack (expect about $115)
    $?? - small 2-pack (expect about $100)
    $?? - 3-pack (expect about $90)
    (other items are expected, like Litho poster, autograph card, Kreons)

Estimated schedule
    18/6 Wed - Six Flags Rollercoaster Park (9.30-6pm) or Custom Class (9-5), Early Bird pickup (9pm or earlier for GT holders)
    19/6 Thur - LA Tour (8.45am - 5pm) or Custom Class (9-5), Boxset pick-up & Club Store opens (from 5pm for GT holders, 6pm for others)
    20/6 Fri - Dealer Room (9-noon?), Panels?, Universal Studios Fan Experience (?-11pm)
    21/6 Sat - Panels & Dealer Room (8.30-5pm), Golden Ticket reception (6-8pm), MSTF (8-10pm)
    22/6 Sun - Panels & Dealer Room (9.30-3.30)

(Thursday day tours/events have always run late, so if you do the tour, take what is needed for the Club Store, so that you can line up straight away when you return)

As usual, ask any questions for those of us who've been, if you are looking to go to your first (or not sure of something since the last time you went).

A meet topic already exists in the Meets section, and there are likely to be some group order topics in the Group Orders section, for those going who want to offer to get some extras (time permitting, and payment may be required first if an estimated value is known).
    Last edited by griffin; 24th April 2014 at 01:21 PM.

The backstory from the brochure...

(The pirates are) bound for Cybertron!
    But Cybertron is not defenseless. Noble, wise, and loyal to the cause, the
    KNIGHTS OF CYBERTRON are steadfast in their protection of their
    homeworld. Any villainy that dare threaten the planet will be met with
    valiant courage, unwavering will, and Cybertron’s greatest warriors!

DECEPTICON PIRATE CANNONBALL
    – A smarmy, charismatic
    pirate leader, who rules through charm and subterfuge, rather than force
    and intimidation, Cannonball is a Bot who’d sooner talk his way out
    of a fight or into a prize, but is more than capable when he needs to
    do battle. While he specializes in deception, fraud and even out-and-
    out impersonation, Cannonball is also skilled with blades and melee
    weapons – a true swashbuckler.

DECEPTICON PIRATE FERAK
    – Ferak is a sadist and the Pirates’
    maintenance man. He keeps the ship together and can cobble Engines
    of Terror for casting fear on their victims. He used to be part of an
    elite Decepticon team called “Squadron X” during the war, but has
    found adapting to peacetime rather difficult. He is partnered with
    the diminutive TORNADO, a former member of Squadron X, whose
    alternate mode is a gun, but an ill-designed gun that jams and threatens
    to explode if a round of ammunition becomes lodged (it happens a
    lot – Ferak has the powder burns to prove it).

DECEPTICON PIRATE SCORPONOK

– Scorponok is the fusion of
    machine and a Nebulan named Zarak. Last we had seen of Scorponok,
    he was flying through space serving as the battleship for the tattered
    remains of the Decepticon army. Now, however, Zarak has been forced
    to scuttle much of that battleship, rebuilding Scorponok into a smaller
    body.

AUTOBOT KNIGHT GINRAI
    – He is the gruff, pragmatic and
    downright paranoid military leader of the Autobots/Maximals. An old-
    school warrior “Bot of Action”, Ginrai has earned the rank of Knight
    Commander. A veteran of the old conflicts, he’s not entirely comfortable
    with the peace, constantly waiting for the “other shoe to drop”.

AUTOBOT KNIGHT DEVCON
    – A loner and former bounty hunter
    who holds the rank of Knight Sergeant, Devcon is the Batman to Ginrai’s
    Commissioner Gordon – the Bot willing to cross the line, bend the rules,
    shake down an informant. He doesn’t play well with others, but he gets
    the job done every time.

As for the delay with the brochure and pre-registration, I have to go back to my previous posting in the meet topic, and add in this year's stats...

Announce/Hotels -- 2007 (31 Dec), 2008 (28 Nov), 2009 (25 Dec), 2010 (23 Dec), 2011 (26 Jun), 2012 (7 Dec), 2013 (12 Dec), 2014 (25 Dec).
    Convention Friday - 2007 (29 Jun), 2008 (24 Apr), 2009 (29 May), 2010 (25 Jun), 2011 (3 Jun), 2012 (27 Apr), 2013 (28 Jun), 2014 (20 Jun).
    Time Difference --- 2007 (6month), 2008 (5month), 2009 (5month), 2010 (6month), 2011 (11m), 2012 (4.66m), 2013 (6.5m), 2014 (6month).

First toy reveal --- 2007 (??????), 2008 (12 Feb), 2009 (25 Feb), 2010 (23 Mar), 2011 (28 Jan), 2012 (2 Feb), 2013 (1 Feb), 2014 (11 Mar).
    Time to Con Friday- 2007 (??????), 2008 (2.5m) , 2009 (3month), 2010 (3month), 2011 (3.5m) , 2012 (3.75m), 2013 (5month), 2014 (3.5month).

Brochure out ------ 2007 (31 Mar), 2008 (27 Jan), 2009 (21 Feb), 2010 (17 Apr), 2011 (20 Mar), 2012 (25 Dec), 2013 (27 Feb), 2014 (24 Apr).
    Time to Con Friday- 2007 (3month), 2008 (3month), 2009 (3month), 2010 (2month), 2011 (2.5m) , 2012 (4month), 2013 (4month), 2014 (2month).

Registration ------ 2007 (31 Mar), 2008 (31 Jan), 2009 (25 Feb), 2010 (19 May), 2011 (21 Mar), 2012 (6 Jan), 2013 (14 Mar), 2014 (5 May approx).
    Time to Con Friday- 2007 (3month), 2008 (3month), 2009 (3month), 2010 (1month), 2011 (2.5m) , 2012 (3.66m), 2013 (3.5m) , 2014 (1.5month).

Location of Con -- 2007 (Rhode Is), 2008 (Ohio), 2009 (Pasadena), 2010 (Florida), 2011 (Pasadena), 2012 (Texas), 2013 (SanDiego), 2014 (Pasadena).

The Convention is a week earlier than last year's, but the reveals, Brochure and Pre-registration are all 1.5 to 2 months later than last year.

Which means my estimates in that post ended up being way off... which has frustrated me with my travel plans (and probably a lot of other people).

Sooo... going by recent stats, we could see the following schedule.
    6 months - Dec 20th (revealed 25th Dec)
    5 months - Jan 20th (possible early toy reveals by end of Jan)
    4 months - Feb 20th (brochure could be out by end of Feb)
    3 months - Mar 20th (Registration could be early-late March at 3-3.5 months)
    2 months - Apr 20th
    1 month - May 20th
    Con start- Jun 20th
    Waaaaay off...

If something is going to be part of the pre-registration/convention package but is holding up the brochure and pre-registration, they should just make a note that something is planned for the Friday Night, but just can't announce it until it is confirmed. It might not help sell the convention as much as they wanted, but at least people can start pre-registering two months ago, and if the event ends up being awesome enough to promote, it will gain extra attendees if the Primus Packs haven't sold out by then. But waiting so last minute for everything to be approved so that it can be promoted, means less people able to attend.
    It's not going to stop people from attending at all if Pre-registration is done early and the highlight event is announced later that is within the Convention timeframe (Friday to Sunday). That becomes a bonus for those who pre-registered early, and is an incentive for those who didn't if the packages haven't yet sold out.
    FunPub don't leave anything in the tank to rope in extra people after registration starts (leaving them with either sold out in a couple days or never selling out), or to make attendees feel like bonus items keep getting added. I remember BotCon 2004 was adding new guests right up until the convention, which just made it more exiting as it got closer to the event for those already registered.

Thanks to someone pointing out a small sentence in the brochure, I've edited the schedule above to reflect the change of the Friday Dealer Room to the morning.
    It is usually in the Afternoon from 2 to 5, so maybe it is being moved to the morning to make way for a "full" day at Universal Studios (which we know goes until 11pm).
    If that is true, having 8 or 9 hours at Universal Studios might mean a reduced amount of panels this year on just the Saturday and Sunday.

Botcon have posted up their Package matrix

It's a matrix that helps to clarify what is available with each package. I don't know why they didn't release this at the same time as their Brochure.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Pre-registration is likely to start friday or saturday morning (our time), so set your alarms if you are thinking of going and are wanting to secure certain things that might sell out... or book in a wake up call.

For those planning to get a non-attendee boxset, but were not intending to get a loose set, please check out this topic to help out others... because I can't cover everyone, and it would be a waste if we find out later that someone got a boxset but never offered to order a loose set (if they were still available at that time).
    If you are in Sydney getting a non-attendee set, there is already a full set reserved by NSW people in my group order topic that I'd be more than happy to offload.

As noted somewhere else, FunPub sent out an email to say that pre-registration will NOT be today (their time... which was actually this morning our time). So, if they stick to their word of this week, it should be Friday (their time). Since it is 9am in Texas in four hours time (midnight on Eastern Australia), pre-registration could start at any time from our midnight.

I don't think they've ever opened up pre-registration on a weekend... but anything is possible from them these days. (actually, I think their GIJoe pre-registration started on a Saturday this year... so maybe Saturday and Sunday are still possible.)

Anyway, after a couple short nights of sleep, I slept most of this afternoon, so should end up being up all night just in case the decide to have an "early" start to pre-registration.

They've just posted box art on Facebook but still no indication of registration

Yeah, it must be getting close, as they just sent out three tweets in the last 20 minutes (which is about 9.30am their time).

The box art for the boxset on the official Transformers Facebook page.