Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2121718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else just not care anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Not sure what your deal is but I'd suggest getting your facts straight before pointing the finger at anyone. I was a member here in early 2006 under the handle S0undwave. Personal reasons and the board being relocated meant that I was absent for a little while. Now go away little man.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I wouldn't consider it 'Bandwagoning' for people to start following a new team based on hype alone because at least they were there from the beginning unlike an existing team that has just made the finals for the first time. In a Transformers sense, there were quite a few kids at my school in the 80's that hadn't heard of Transformers and therefore knew nothing of them aside from word of mouth i.e. hype, in the school yard (no internet back then - go figure ). Quite a few of them still collect to this day. I would hardly refer to them as Bandwagoners.
    So anyone that became a fan because of the movies, which would easily qualify as the peak of the hype surrounding the TF franchise, these people are somehow beneath you in your perceived fandom hierarchy?

I know it probably wasn't your intention, but that is how those 2 posts read.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    So anyone that became a fan because of the movies, which would easily qualify as the peak of the hype surrounding the TF franchise, these people are somehow beneath you in your perceived fandom hierarchy?

I know it probably wasn't your intention, but that is how those 2 posts read.
    Reread what I wrote, it may actually make sense. I was defending people who follow something new based on hype alone which when applied to your question would include anyone who became a fan from watching the movies, and this somehow makes me an elitist? Or should I be apologising because I corrected someone trying to discredit me that I was a member on this forum before the movies were released?

If your arguing the opposite to me but labelling me an elitist by inferring I believe there are fans beneath me in my ‘perceived fandom hierarchy’, then you are a hypocrite. If that’s not the point you are trying to make, then I don’t know what you are implying. I’m sorry, but that’s how I read your post.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

^+1. None of what 5FDP said came off as being elitist to me, and if anything he's been trying to rationalise/defend the actions of people who follow popular trends.

Whether someone became a Transfan long ago or recently, I think the key factor is commitment to the franchise. Those of us who've been active in the fandom long enough have seen plenty of people come and go, and almost everyone claims to be a 'die hard fan' when they sign up. But actions speak louder than words; if we're all still here in 10 years' time and we're still just as passionate about Transformers, then we'll know that we're absolute fanatics (which is what the word "fan" is short for).

I met 5FDP 10 years ago at the OTCA booth at Sydney Supanova 2003. Here we are 10 years later and we're both still absolutely nuts about Transformers. So IMHO time will be the ultimate judge of who the truly committed fans are, irrespective of when you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Anyone who became a fan because of the movies, and years later is still solely a fan because of the movies is definitely at the bottom of my perceived fandom hierarchy.

How about we just let this one go guys before it spirals further.
    A fan is a fan in my book and just leave it there

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream77 View Post
    How about we just let this one go guys before it spirals further.
    A fan is a fan in my book and just leave it there
    tru dat
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Anyone who became a fan because of the movies, and years later is still solely a fan because of the movies is definitely at the bottom of my perceived fandom hierarchy.
    What if they, in the interim years, gained an appreciation for the more refined quadrants of the TF franchise but still ultimately have to admit that their entry point into the fandom was the movies? Still at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    What if they, in the interim years, gained an appreciation for the more refined quadrants of the TF franchise but still ultimately have to admit that their entry point into the fandom was the movies? Still at the bottom?
    Nah, that person sounds like quite the Transformers sophisticate. Any gateway-drug to Transformers is great, just as long it ultimately gets them on to the good stuff.

So what if you were a life long fan but didn't actually know of a particular fansite's existence, until you were verbally bludgeoned into joining said site at the behest of a best friend & current member, at a time that was chronologically "smack-bang" in the middle of the 1st Bayverse-movie period?

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    So what if you were a life long fan but didn't actually know of a particular fansite's existence, until you were verbally bludgeoned into joining said site at the behest of a best friend & current member, at a time that was chronologically "smack-bang" in the middle of the 1st Bayverse-movie period?
    <sheepishly puts up hand> but it wasn't even till after that...
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)