Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891424 ... LastLast

Thread: WFC2 - Fall of Cybertron game revealed

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    On Cybertron they were known as 'The Dynobots' - I know...
    Oh god, lol, you're kidding?
    Who came up with that?

WFC Trypticon looked like his G1 self so obviously in this storyline the Transformers have already had some contact with Reptillian life in some form or another.

Or maybe everyone is over analyzing one very early piece of concept art
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

We know that not all Cybertronians were bipeds (humanoid), as we've already seen Laserbeak and Trypticon only had beast forms... so it is quite possible that other animal forms already existed on Cybertron as well, and their similarity to beasts on planets like ours shouldn't be questioned if no one bothers to question why their dominant form (the bipeds) are so similar to our planet's dominant lifeform (biped/humans).

Once you start asking too many questions about the transformers back story, then it never stops.

As for WFC2, after the Movie game my faith in the studio is shaken, guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    ROFL!!
    I agree. Maybe he aint a t-rex, just a monster bot that just so happens to look like a t-rex...

After all, iirc, the Terrorcons were seen on cybertron in their alt modes in the Headmasters comic, so why can't some of the Autobots have monster modes as well?
    Non-Earthen monster modes I can accept. A T-Rex, even a robotic one, on the other hand is very much an Earthen mode.

Perhaps they could design him as a non-Earthen looking robotic monster (much like say, the Monsterbots) - but it has certain features that evoke Grimlock's T-Rex mode... much like how Trypticon's robot mode isn't saurian, but it still evokes his Earthen saurian robot mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy
    I would have liked the opportunity to play as soundwave as a cassette player. Hey it worked in the Takara G1 game.

Not really But it was funny!
    Also, wasn't that game set in the distant future of last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Oh really? , Looks like I'll have to go back and re-read that part in the Comics as I do remember that they were sent to intercept Shockwave before the rest of the Bots were activated on the Ark, by millions of years and getting stuck in the Tar Pool , but I thought they'd been built at the time for that purpose?...
    (Just had a quick re-read and I stand corrected )

Thanks for the clarification Kup, I've been reading these comics one after the other for the 1st time so I guess things have been 'pushed out' in a sense.
    Hang on though, were they known as the Dinobots prior to their activation on Earth? - That'd be a little odd.

Still, I don't want Grimlock ending up as yet another boring-ass tank; it did feel odd playing as the Dinobots on the DS version of the game so it'll be refreshing to play a game as a Beastformer.
    "Dynobots" was a term that Dreamwave came up with for their continuity. In the G1 comics... I don't think their sub-group was ever referred to by name until they got to Earth and became known as Dinobots. Perhaps they were called 「恐流戦隊ファビューラス・ファイブ」 ("Flowing Fear Battle Team Fabulous Five!" - the word 'Flowing Fear' (I just made it up ) is a play on words because it sounds like the Japanese word for "dinosaur" (which literally means "fearful dragon") but I changed the Kanji for "dragon" to "flowing" ) - or maybe they were called Team Kick-Butt... who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    We know that not all Cybertronians were bipeds (humanoid), as we've already seen Laserbeak and Trypticon only had beast forms... so it is quite possible that other animal forms already existed on Cybertron as well, and their similarity to beasts on planets like ours shouldn't be questioned if no one bothers to question why their dominant form (the bipeds) are so similar to our planet's dominant lifeform (biped/humans).
    1. Trypticon and Laserbeak's bestial-looking forms are their robot modes, not their alt modes. Trypticon's alt mode was that massive orbital space station and I don't remember what Laserbeak transformed into in WFC. If it was an 8-track cassette tape, then okay, that's equally as dumb as a dino mode for Grimlock. Also, if you look at WFC Trypticon's robot mode it does look more humanoid (or primate-like) than like a T-Rex. Notice a massive arms and the forward pointing knees -- it's more like a hunched over humanoid or ape... but the colours, bulk and head are designed in a way that evokes Trypticon's saurian G1 robot mode. Laserbeak's WFC robot mode is inspired by his Cybertronian robot mode from the G1 cartoon.

2. Consistency. All of the WFC Transformers alt modes were consistently portrayed as Cybertronian.
    + Optimus Prime: Cybertronian truck
    + Bumblebee: Cybertronian compact car
    + Sideswipe: Cybertronian car
    + Ironhide: Cybertronian armoured vehicle
    + Warpath: Cybertronian tank
    + Soundwave: Cybertronian armoured vehicle
    + Megatron: Cybertronian tank
    + Starscream: Cybertronian tetrajet
    + Skywarp: Cybertronian tetrajet
    + Thundercracker: Cybertronian tetrajet
    + Air Raid: Cybertronian jet
    + Breakdown: Cybertronian car
    ...etc.

Showing characters like Trypticon with a bestially inspired robot mode I can accept because that's his robot mode and it's inspired by his G1 robot mode - whether you think it makes sense or not, all the WFC robot modes are G1 inspired, so at least they're consistent in that regard. The issue I have with Grimlock transforming into a robotic dinosaur as his alt mode is that not only does it not make sense as a Cybertronian mode, but it's inconsistent with how other characters in the game are designed... so the Dinobot mode seems "out of character" (if you will) for the setting of this game.

Last night I started to replay WfC after hearing of this and i cannot wait for it (and toys) to come out. WfC is great fun!
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Laserbeak and the other 'tapes' Transformed into 'tape like' blocks but not actual cassettes on Cybertron and that includes WFC. When it comes to robot modes, even in the cartoon, laserbeak did not have a 'condor' mode but looked more like a little 'space jet' in the shape of a bird.

WFC Trypticon's 'robot mode' is very beastial and saurian like but still abstract enough to look alien.

I too prefer Grimlock as a T-Rex but where it is appropriate. Like I would be complaining if he remained a 'tank' on Earth for example. However a clearly Terran Dinosaur on Cybertron before they have ever even known Earth exists, it's hard to accept.

Ratbat looked like a Bat on Cybertron. Ravage looked like a Cat on Cybertron. Mirage used to hunt Turbofoxes on Cybertron. (We haven't seen them but I think it's safe to assume that Turbofoxes look like Foxes.) Etc. There's apparently similar kinds of Fauna all over the Universe? I guess!

I stand by my "Grimlock gets his Beast mode on Animatron or whatever" theory. Either that or he's a Dinosaur because he's Grimlock and he can be whatever the Hell he wants. Who's going to stop him?

So what was the State of Play at the end of WFC? As someone who hasn't played the game, and isn't likely to, why is Cybertron Falling?

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Here, read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfo..._for_Cybertron

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstrike
    Ratbat looked like a Bat on Cybertron. Ravage looked like a Cat on Cybertron.
    Again these are technically their robot modes, not their alt modes. And in recent Neo-G1 media their robot modes have been portrayed as looking more Cybertronian.
    Cybertronian Ratbat
    Cybertronian Ravage

Mirage used to hunt Turbofoxes on Cybertron. (We haven't seen them but I think it's safe to assume that Turbofoxes look like Foxes.) Etc. There's apparently similar kinds of Fauna all over the Universe? I guess!
    We've never seen what Turbofoxes (or Petrorabbits) look like... so who knows. But just because they're called foxes doesn't necessarily mean they have to resemble foxes. After all, Firefoxes (aka Red Pandas) are neither foxes nor bears and are more closely related to raccoons, weasels and skunks (Ailuridae family).

I stand by my "Grimlock gets his Beast mode on Animatron or whatever" theory.
    I'd buy that theory. Grimlock would need to have contact with some place that has saurians on it in order for him to adapt his alt mode to resemble one. I'd sooner believe that there are T-Rex-like saurians on Animatron than on Cybertron.

Either that or he's a Dinosaur because he's Grimlock and he can be whatever the Hell he wants. Who's going to stop him?
    Drift!