Thread: James Cameron, I Know What You're Up To Down There

Default James Cameron, I Know What You're Up To Down There

Film director James Cameron is planning to release a 3D film of his pioneering Marianas Trench dive in the Pacific Ocean, it was announced last night.

Shortly after completing the 11km descent into Challenger Deep, the lowest known point on the Earth's surface, Cameron travelled to London to attend the premiere of the 3D version of his 1997 blockbuster Titanic. After the event, he told reporters that a 3D documentary of the dive, currently titled Deepsea Challenge, is being readied for a prospective cinema release later this year.

"We're shooting the whole expedition as a 3D film," Cameron said, explaining that the development of a new lightweight 3D camera, able to withstand the massive pressures at extreme depth, was crucial. "We spent a fair bit of the development budget of the sub figuring out how we would be lighting it and how we would do 3D photography at full ocean depth. We did tackle a lot of challenges but, always, the thinking was this expedition is going to get paid for by a film."

Cameron's dive was funded in conjunction with National Geographic, who have scored hits in the past with The Choir and a retooled version of the French documentary March of the Penguins. Cameron's film will also be shown on the National Geographic channel.

Cameron has made documentaries before, notably his 3D film Ghosts of the Abyss, culled from footage shot on an earlier seabed dive to the wreck of the Titanic. His 1989 film The Abyss, with Ed Harris, is also evidence of Cameron's longterm interest in deep-sea exploration, being the fictional account of a salvage team who encounter alien life underwater.
    I remember two years ago he made a promise last year that he wanted to film in the deepest part of the ocean in regards to the Avatar 2 film. This was what the wikipedia had stated, coming from his exact words:

Cameron stated that they are going to widen the universe while exploring other moons of Polyphemus. The first sequel will focus on the ocean of Pandora but will also feature more of the rainforest from the original movie. Later in 2010, Cameron announced his intention to capture footage for this sequel at the bottom of the Mariana Trench using a deepwater submersible.
    I see what you're doing, Mr. Cameron. I'm no fool.

He's still looking for Jack Dawson.

He just want's to be alone. Being famous isn't easy sometimes you just need space and time for yourself, LOL
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I think it's an EPIC undertaking either way, I just hope there is a lot of spinoff information to be used for the progression of marine science.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I think it's an EPIC undertaking either way, I just hope there is a lot of spinoff information to be used for the progression of marine science.
    I concur, though I think Spirit may be on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I concur, though I think Spirit may be on to something.
    I have a gut feeling that it is what James Cameron is doing. A fair while ago, he said that he wanted to film down there to capture footage because he said that the second film will focus on the oceans of Pandora. Now, for some strange reason, he said he was doing it for a documentary.

Don't take me for a fool, Mr. Cameron. I'm on to your little secret!

A little to the left... a little bit more...

I really admire him. What an interesting person! I think the guy is really an explorer/adventurer at heart... The "filmmaking" thing he does just brings in the cash so he can do this stuff!! Hell, he even co-designed the damn submarine vehicle he went down in!