Thread: The First 13 - Prima artwork

Default The First 13 - Prima artwork

For those who didn't get the Vault book last year, one of the new First 13 "gods of Transformers" has been released online by the artist Ken Christiansen.

Apparently they've all been drawn now, but we are still yet to see half of them revealed. (and the Exiles book seems to have revealed some names and details as well)

This is a description of their thinking with Prima...

Again, working with Eric Siebenaler, I began a bunch of pencil sketches, but one clearly stood out, and it's basically a rough pencil version of what's above. I themed him in a loose Samurai style, and reversed engineered details from Optimus Prime, to make that visual connection, as a descendant in the Prime Line. He was nicknamed the Warrior of Light, so we went with a really ornate style, with the piped lighting over a quasi-mother of pearl armor. The similar cues from Optimus only number a few, but are pretty overt - the facemask, helmet spikes, split chest 'windows', and I managed to put a G1 cue in there, the two bands over a triangle on the forearm. The sword was a joint design effort, Eric had sketched out the two-bladed idea, with the Matrix in the hilt, so I basically redesigned it to fit the look of the character/armor.

More info can be found here about "The Thirteen".

I love the 'regal' look of this guy.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

That, is some stunning CG work right there and it is a pity that it is only for internal use too; As someone who really likes Ancient History and Mythology, more information about "The Original 13" can't be revealed quick enough!

I love all the little G1 Prime nods that I never even picked up on until now.