Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Price of LEGO sets in Australia

Another issue affecting Lego at least is that the US is still considered an emerging market for the brand, and they are subsidising the cost of products in the US to encourage growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Wyatt Roy

Youngest MP ever apparently. If the Libs get up in the next election, we get this kid on our side and push through our legislation!
    Youngest to have a Federal Seat in the House of Representatives, but have you seen/been to the electorate he represents?
    (Oddly enough, my Grandfather trained on its Beaches during WWII)

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    Another issue affecting Lego at least is that the US is still considered an emerging market for the brand, and they are subsidising the cost of products in the US to encourage growth.
    Really? - Is Lego's corporate 'think-tank' that blinkered?

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Youngest to have a Federal Seat in the House of Representatives, but have you seen/been to the electorate he represents?
    (Oddly enough, my Grandfather trained on its Beaches during WWII)
    It's not so much who he represents - it's more that he is a kid that grew up in the 90's and probably owned Lego himself. He can corrupt him and make him our pawn!

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    It's not so much who he represents - it's more that he is a kid that grew up in the 90's and probably owned Lego himself. He can corrupt him and make him our pawn!
    Well, anything is worth a try.

Realistically, a single member of parliament isn't likely to have much say if they are part of a political party (idealistic politicians wanting to change the world, sign up to a major party to get in, only to end up having their hands tied by the party and its power-brokers). Even the leaders in the major parties are bound by party politics and the party president/power-brokers (or else they get replaced if they don't)... so unless you can convince the ones who decide on what the party supports or opposes, you'd need a "private member's bill" and the time (and money) to lobby a majority of MPs & Senators to get it passed.

Either that, or set up your own political party, get a majority of seats in the Lower and Upper houses, just to get yourself some cheaper toys...

We can have the "Transformers Party" to join the ranks of other "single-policy" parties like the Shooters Party, Sex Party, Disability Party, Fishing Party, HEMP Party, etc...

Maybe if the issue was put forward not as one only to do with cheaper LEGO and/or toys, but more equality price-wise for various kinds of products (toys, electronics, software, etc.) for Australians (essentially we are asking for a fair go), it would get more traction?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Realistically, a single member of parliament isn't likely to have much say if they are part of a political party (idealistic politicians wanting to change the world, sign up to a major party to get in, only to end up having their hands tied by the party and its power-brokers). Even the leaders in the major parties are bound by party politics and the party president/power-brokers (or else they get replaced if they don't)...
    That's so true, and herein lies the "trade-off" of living in a democracy. In a benevolent despotic society *cough oxymoron cough* the legislation would be able to be changed much more quickly (but often for the worse).

In all this, I will continue to take a "glass half full" mentality - buy online!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Maybe if the issue was put forward not as one only to do with cheaper LEGO and/or toys, but more equality price-wise for various kinds of products (toys, electronics, software, etc.) for Australians (essentially we are asking for a fair go), it would get more traction?
    Absolutely. To get something we want (a minority group or interest), we need to give them a reason to get something they want (money and/or votes). Making the issue one to do with a range of products, which are all being bought online in increasing numbers, would make it more interesting to the general public, and businesses.

We just need to complain more, louder and more often. Complain on Twitter, and copy @Lego_Group in your tweet. Put complaining wall posts on Lego's Facebook page. I was harassing their head of PR, but he recently resigned and moved to a different company. Search Twitter for bios with the word Lego in it, and copy them as well. Regular remind them via feedback and customer service surveys (you are asked to complete one at the end of each instruction manual) that you find the price discrepancy OFFENSIVE.

They gave me the same crap about distribution centre. This was my response:

Hi Zsolt,

I'm not sure how you're interpreting my complaint, but it doesn't seem like you understand it or the math behind it. I am not complaining about the shipping prices. I am complaining about the product prices. I am complaining about the product prices at shop.lego.com AS WELL AS the retail prices for the products in our local Australian retail stores like Kmart, Big W, etc. It is cheaper for me to order Lego from the US website, pay for shipping to a USA address, and then pay for shipping from that USA address to Australia, AND STILL SAVE OVER 200 DOLLARS with an item such as the Lego Super Star Destroyer.

Are you implying that it costs Lego $200 MORE to ship a product to me in Australia?

Let me do the math again:

Lego 10221 Super Star Destroyer is USD 319. Now, USD 319 converts to AUD 315. Now, let's play it safe and add a 3% bank currency conversion rate on top of that, raising it, and rounding it up to AUD 325. Now, the US price does not include tax, so we will add Australian GST of 10% on top, bringing us to AUD 358. Now that same item can be bought from the Australian shop.lego.com and shipped to Australia (also at no charge) for AUD 560.

So you should be able to clearly see that my issue IS NOT the shipping price. It's the fact that you are gouging Australians.

Let me provide you (or your manager / lawyers) with some related reading material:

1. Australian Price Gouging Inquiry Targets Apple, Microsoft And Others (April 30)
    The Australian Consumer watchdog has started hauling companies that conduct this kind of global gouging in to account for their actions. I will be writing them to recommend that you be added to their list, as well as rallying other local local fans of Lego to do the same.

2. Gerry Harvey laments retail woes as profits dip (Mar 12)
    There is currently a large outcry in this country from retailers that shoppers are abandoning them in favor of online, overseas options. THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE PRICES THAT COMPANIES LIKE YOURS ARE GOUGING US WITH! Now, in this global market, why would anybody, with the TINIEST bit of knowledge, buy from shop.lego.com's Australia shop or a local retailer instead of a US, or other foreign retailer that ships overseas?

Don't you ethically see a problem with this?

Don't you think you might make up the loss of revenue/profit from lower prices with more volume? I haven't bought Lego in Australia in years. However, I have bought THOUSANDS of dollars of Lego from overseas sellers for a FRACTION of those prices!

Sincerely disappointed
    That was back in May.

Squeaky wheel gets oiled folks. Just stay on them, every chance you get. Writing letters will always be the most powerful method IMO. And don't waste your time with Parliament (again, IMO). They don't give a crap about how much nerds pay for their toys. We're not regarded as a well-orgnized voting block.

Jaydisc - I like your letter. It's inspiring reading material.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    We just need to complain more, louder and more often. Complain on Twitter, and copy @Lego_Group in your tweet. Put complaining wall posts on Lego's Facebook page. I was harassing their head of PR, but he recently resigned and moved to a different company. Search Twitter for bios with the word Lego in it, and copy them as well. Regular remind them via feedback and customer service surveys (you are asked to complete one at the end of each instruction manual) that you find the price discrepancy OFFENSIVE.

They gave me the same crap about distribution centre. This was my response:

That was back in May.

Squeaky wheel gets oiled folks. Just stay on them, every chance you get. Writing letters will always be the most powerful method IMO. And don't waste your time with Parliament (again, IMO). They don't give a crap about how much nerds pay for their toys. We're not regarded as a well-orgnized voting block.
    Did you get another back?