Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Ep 7 - early Movie news

*crosses fingers* C'mon biker scouts. C'mon biker scouts.

Well, Disney hasn't run Marvel into the ground yet, will patiently wait & see of what becomes of Lucas Arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Well, Disney hasn't run Marvel into the ground yet, will patiently wait & see of what becomes of Lucas Arts.
    Or Pixar, and they even made John Lasseter head creative adviser of the whole company.

I'm not sure why people fear Disney control so much, while their corporate acquisitions may be intimidating, they seem to have much more competent leadership nowadays than so many other major companies.

Hasbro and Mattel should be taking notes.

Either way, at least the proceeds will be going towards a good cause.

Default Star Wars Ep VII

Have decided to avoid all articles relating to this movie... I don't want to know a thing about it before I go and see it. Does everybody think with the internet and trailers that show almost the entire movie, that it is hard to be surprised by something these days? I watched a couple of the Transformer trailers at the beginning and in that last week when they were coming thick and fast I didn't watch any of them... so I was surprised by SPOILER: Galvatron coming to life... although should have seen it coming.

I have a friend who actively avoids spoilers for films, he was the only one at the midnight screening of Episode I who saw the double bladed Light Saber for the first time. so there is definite merit, though it is getting harder and harder.

I avoided a lot of the AOE trailers and watching them now I'm glad I did as I would have seen SPOILERS >> the block scatter transformation which I really didn't like. <<

It's doable, especially now there is more of a social awareness of not spoiling for others (this board tends to do a pretty good job of labelling spoiler content), but it's still very hard due to the amount of material out there. if you're not careful you'll see a spoileriffic tv spot turn up and play before you even have a chance to look away.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I avoided a lot of the AOE trailers and watching them now I'm glad I did as I would have seen SPOILERS >> the block scatter transformation which I really didn't like. <<

It's doable, especially now there is more of a social awareness of not spoiling for others (this board tends to do a pretty good job of labelling spoiler content), but it's still very hard due to the amount of material out there. if you're not careful you'll see a spoileriffic tv spot turn up and play before you even have a chance to look away.
    Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of that in the movie either but was unfortunately spoiled before seeing it so knew it was coming. I am actively going to do the same from now on... movie trailer embargo for me... which is difficult because I love watching the trailers.

But the trailers help build the anticipation. Everyone knew that Darth Maul's lightsaber was coming and was hanging for it. Knowing about it (imo) took nothing away from the movie and actually added to the experience.

The problem comes when you have major plot twists/lines revealed and when the trailers show all the best bits
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

EPISODE VII TEASER SPOILERS AHEAD

I'm sure most of you have already seen the Episode VII teaser.

My quick thoughts:

* The logo on the X-Wing pilot's uniform looks... interesting. The one on his flight suit differs from the that of the Rebel Alliance (though also differs from the New Republic logo from SWEU), but the logo on his helmet is the same as the old Alliance's. I'm assuming that the Rebel Alliance no longer exists, since the Empire was defeated in Episode VI (thus they have nothing to rebel against). I would assume that they've reorganised themselves into something a new government like the New Republic, whether they actually use that name or not. But I would be surprised if they were still flying under their old name of being the 'Rebel Alliance.'

* TIE Fighters and Stormtroopers with new armour ... Imperial Remnant? Initially it struck me as odd that the IR would have access to R&D for new tech, but then again, even in SWEU we did see the IR with new technologies such as the Sun Crusher. Either way, it appears that the Alliance/Republic are working on getting rid of what remains of the Empire (at least those who refuse to stand down). Although the space marines could be Republic Stormtroopers. After all, they did start off as Republic Clone Troopers before Order 66 kicked in and made them Imps. And it's seems to be a given that the Fett clones are no longer around (at least not in sufficient numbers) by the name of the OT, let alone the Sequel Trilogy. Imperial Stormtroopers at the time of the OT were either regular enlisted troops or clones from other genetic stocks (apparently the Empire decided to use varied stocks after the Clone rebellion on Kamino). <shrugs>

* There's been a lot of flak over the cross-guard light sabre. These kinds of sabres have been seen before in Star Wars (EU), although not quite so elaborate. The main criticism has been over the impracticality of having blazing hot plasma mini-blades as your cross guard. Sure, it's a valid criticism, but let's face it, a lot (if not all) of the exotic light sabre designs are terribly impractical IRL (but look damn cool! ).
    e.g.
    + Double-bladed light sabres. Who didn't go "Wwhhoooa!" when first seeing Darth Maul wield this in the Episode I trailer? But IRL you're more likely to cut yourself open.
    + Curved-hilt light sabre. Curved-hilted swords actually did exist IRL, but they were principally used by mounted cavalry, as it afforded greater leverage for the cavalier. Count Dooku isn't seen (AFAIK) using this sabre from a mounted vehicle (e.g. speeder bike), and even if he did, the additional leverage is pretty needless on a light sabre considering that it can slice through thick steel and effortlessly go through bodies!

One could also argue that the whole idea of a light sabre in the first place is rather impractical, as holding a searing hot blade in close proximity to your body poses various hazards. e.g. your own clothes or hair catching on fire, giving yourself instant sunburn etc.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 30th November 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    One could also argue that the whole idea of a light sabre in the first place is rather impractical, as holding a searing hot blade in close proximity to your body poses various hazards. e.g. your own clothes or hair catching on fire, giving yourself instant sunburn etc.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain