Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
Of course, absolutely power corrupts absolutely and Grimlock became a tyrant (and self declared "King")... but the Autobots didn't know that he'd become like that when they voted for him. An elected leader who becomes a despotic dictator hated by those who put him in power? Well...
It's definitely set the stage for some interesting story directions and it's a nice change of pace from Optimus' leadership. It's also an interesting contrast with his cartoon portrayal in which he was written as more a "chaotic good" archetype. He didn't always direct his energy towards the right targets but his spark was in the right place.

My main gripe with it is that it was pretty obvious he'd be a poor leader. While he may have shown the appropriate leadership qualities while saving the ark, that was only one instance and completely inconsistent with his past actions. Grimlock may have had potential but it was unreasonable to expect him to change so dramatically overnight. Maybe the other Autobots still had their cerebro-circuits scrambled from the battle. Hard to be too picky as they're generally pretty good.

I'm reading through the US Marvel series currently but I have heard that the UK series was better, as you say. I had a quick look online and it looks like the UK writers were incredibly prolific.... 332 issues compared to the US run of 80. I know they slotted their own issues around the US stories but even so it still seems pretty incredible. I might need a break before I tackle the UK series.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
[...] one thing I really like about Budiansky's portrayal of the Transformers is making them other worldly and reminding us that these are ALIEN robots [...]
Agreed. In the cartoon the Transformers behaved in a very human manner, and the humans never batted an eyelid when the giant transforming robots showed up. It's nice to see the 'robots in disguise' angle getting some attention.