Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30th Anniversary book about TFs comics

Default 30th Anniversary book about TFs comics

Recently added to Amazon for pre-order are some upcoming Transformers comics and books.

The first one is done by Jim Sorensen (did the Allspark Almanacs), and is listed as covering 30 years of Transformers Comics... or at least, the best bits.
    Out June 25th for US$33, the timing is coincidentally the same week as BotCon, so expect this to be available there for purchase and signing, or even the subject of a presentation panel, as I'm sure he would have a lot of other stuff that didn't make the book that is worth talking about.
    320 pages

It's a celebration 30 years in the making! Relive the landmark comics that helped define the legacy of Transformers and read along with the creators that made these great comics as Jim Sorenson provides insight from a range of writers and artists that breathed life into the denizens of Cybertron. From Marvel to Dreamwave to IDW and other iterations in-between, this book is a must have for TF collectors!

The second item is the first volume of the Movie Universe comics, containing the Prequel, adaptation, and follow-up story (Reign of Starscream) from the 2007 movie.
    324 pages, at US$30, it will be released July 2nd.

And the third item is just the fourth volume of the MTMTE comic (the offworld one), which is likely to only include four issues (12-15).
    104 pages, at US$18, it will be released August 6th.

I might be interested in the 30 years of Transformers Comics, however I'll wait to read some reviews first. Hopefully it'll turn out better than most of the 'coffee table' books that we've got and cover all eras in depth rather than skimming over them or omitting them altogether.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

The line "Relive the landmark comics" suggests to me that this will just be a "best of" collection, with some text interviews/summaries inbetween stories. I imagine it's format would be something like the current IDW Classic UK books.

Jim Sorensen's input may mean it's something more and surely some more information will come out on his blog or the IDW forums.

I would personally love a single book that featured the cover of every Transformer comic to the current day, but I don't think this is that book.

I would like to get an idea of which stories it reprints (for some reason I think the contents wouldn't be too disimilar to that Best of Optimus Prime vs Megatron trade) but will probably order this anyway when it becomes available.

What's with all this 30th Anniversary stuff coming out this year (books, toy packaging etc). Isn't it next year? My 20th anniversary Optimus says 1984-2004, and my comics saying 25 years say 1984-2009. Why has Hasbro jumped the gun by a year?

That's been bugging me too, that they jumped the gun early. I think retailer support has slipped so much that Hasbro needs to market the concept a year early just to sell the Brand this year. (they didn't note the year this time, to get away with it... but we're gonna have a lot of newbies and non-fans thinking/claiming that Transformers started in 1983)
    Or maybe since the Movie line will be their focus next year, they want to milk the anniversary before that starts.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    What's with all this 30th Anniversary stuff coming out this year (books, toy packaging etc). Isn't it next year? My 20th anniversary Optimus says 1984-2004, and my comics saying 25 years say 1984-2009. Why has Hasbro jumped the gun by a year?
    It gives them a 2 year window to flog their 30th anniversary stuff
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

I've added the '30 years of Transformers Comics' book to my watch list on Amazon, along with Emiliano Santalucia's Pop-Up book - Can't wait for either book.

Didn't some people get their MP01 Convoys in December 2003 even though that toy was meant to be part of Takara's TF 20th Anniversary commemoration? (I got my MP01 in either late Jan or early Feb 2004) -- but I suppose toys released in December are, for practical intents and purposes, essentially part of the following year's line up (they probably release them a month early to catch Xmas sales).

By time the 30th anniversary stuff hits Aussie retail it'll be certainly 2014 (or later ). If I happen to spot any 30th Anniversary Generations toys in my local stores in 2013 I'll kiss a Machine Men/Go-Bot.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If I happen to spot any 30th Anniversary Generations toys in my local stores in 2013 I'll kiss a Machine Men/Go-Bot.
    I'm gonna hold you to that (when you said you'd eat your hat... yeah, I saw it before you edited your post) and, pics or it didn't happen
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Yawn. The problem with books like these it that there's never anything interesting.

I don't want to see the same dman stuff again and again and again. Give us different information. comics that had to be scrapped for content, stories that were vetoed, changes made to characters and plots. Unseen art and character designs. More "What could Have been" less "What is".