Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think it's fair to assume that there may be spoilers about the new ep/season from here on. Spoilers ahead...

spoiler time
    spoiler and
    spoiler relative
    spoiler dimensions
    spoiler in
    spoiler space

This:

Non-Caucasian looking Kaleds! I personally think that it's good to try and introduce more ethnic diversity into the show, especially among alien humanoids. We've already seen attempts at introducing more diversity into other humanoid aliens, such as Time Lords. Besides, it don't matter if your black or white, cos in the end they all look like cycloptic squids!

Coincidentally I was actually re-watching The Genesis of the Daleks just last week, so the memories of that episode are still fresh in my mind; revisiting the dilemma that the Fourth Doctor faced with detonating the incubation chamber and killing the Dalek race at the moment of the creation. But here's the thing, when the Doctor was sent to Skaro to intervene with the Dalek's creation, he was actually given several options:
    * Avert their creation
    * Alter their nature (i.e. make them less aggressive)
    * Discover an inherent weakness
    The Doctor initially tried to alter their nature, asking Davros not to strip the Daleks of their morality (as did some other sympathetic Kaleds, who attempted a coup that ultimately failed). He couldn't discover any inherent weakness, so the only option he had left was to commit genocide, but he only managed to trap the Daleks for a thousand years.

So here's the thing... the Twelfth Doctor has inadvertently travelled back to Skaro and discovered Davros as a boy. Rather than killing him, why doesn't he just rescue Davros and mentor the boy? Try to help Davros grow into a better man --- a man who doesn't believe that morality and compassion are weaknesses, and thus attempt to pass these "strengths" onto the Daleks. If the Doctor can guide Davros into becoming a compassionate man, then there's a fair chance that the Daleks would become compassionate beings. Save Clara, save the freakin' future! The Doctor would finally complete the mission that the Time Lords assigned to him back in The Genesis of the Daleks.

P.S.: It would be similar to what the Doctor tried to do with Kazran Sardick, although Sardick did still become the mean person that the Doctor was trying to change. But the Doctor could at least try to change Davros, and if that fails, then kill him. Spending decades becoming Davros' confidant would allow the Doctor to be trusted by him and get close, which would make it easier to assassinate him if changing Davros' nature would appear to be impossible.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 20th September 2015 at 10:59 PM.