Page 241 of 481 FirstFirst ... 221231236237238239240241242243244245246251261 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 4804

Thread: I need to vent!

The best thing about wearing glasses is that you get to make spectacle of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The best thing about wearing glasses is that you get to make spectacle of yourself.
    That is so lame that if you were at school, one of your friends would have punched you (with or without glasses)

I always prided myself on my good vision and although for 10 years I have been in front of a computer for hours on a daily basis, it has not faltered.

However there are days where I noticed that it is a little harder to focus on some thing but that is probably because I am feeling tired or something because on other days I can see just fine.
    Last edited by kup; 29th August 2012 at 12:11 AM.

Prided yourself on good vision? It's not like you had a choice or worked towards it did you? I had to get glasses when i was 7 before i'd ever laid eyes on a computer, it's hardly something most are capable of avoiding.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Prided yourself on good vision? It's not like you had a choice or worked towards it did you? I had to get glasses when i was 7 before i'd ever laid eyes on a computer, it's hardly something most are capable of avoiding.
    Hey sorry, I didn't realize I had touched upon a sensitive cord.

No apology necessary, i'm not sensitive i just thought it odd that you'd say that! I could understand someone saying they took pride in never breaking a bone or something.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    It's OK Hursti, as soon as you start wearing glasses your apparent IQ goes up and you become more attractive to the ladies.
    Hehe, I had a good chuckle at that one dude - lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    Ive been wearing glasses for over 10 years and my IQ has gone down and ladies avoid me like the plague.
    1AZRAEL1 will tell you that I've had that issue even before getting glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I said apparent IQ, you tend to look smarter
    I'm not one for the "Hipster" trend, which is why I avoided thick frames with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    Ah glasses aren't that bad. I live with them, well when you get them try to get non-reflective lenses so that people can actually see your eyes - if that's what you want.
    I actually liked my mirror-tinted sunnies as it made checking out the ladies a little less obvious (The hanging tongue may of negated that though) ; The glasses I ended up getting are prescription transition lenses on Oakley frames , $1000 later...

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    After my 27 years I'm finding my vision to be slightly hazy - totally blame work Don't need glasses yet as I'm just slightly near-sighted. Not far off, but I'll try to cherish/prolong the inevitable as best I can.
    I've been mucking around with computers since the age of 4 which is often sited as attributing to poor vision, the annoying thing though is that little is known/understood (Currently) as to what causes my condition as the diagnosis has only existed since 1988 and seems to affect only 1 in every 1000-2000 people.

The condition is called Keratoconus (Link supplied if anyone happens to be curious), I hope none of you find yourselves being afflicted with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    That is so lame that if you were at school, one of your friends would have punched you (with our without glasses)
    I'd have to agree with Kup there Goki , besides; I don't need glasses to make a spectacle out of myself, history has proven this on a great many occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    No apology necessary, i'm not sensitive i just thought it odd that you'd say that! I could understand someone saying they took pride in never breaking a bone or something.
    The thing that sort of disappoints me in my situation is that I did/do take pride in caring for my eyes, as it has been drilled into me ever since I could remember by my (Now)former Ambulance Rescue Officer Father that: "Your eyes are precious & you only get 1 set of them, so look after them" - Sort of feels like I'm being punished for no reason but obviously biology doesn't quite work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I've been mucking around with computers since the age of 4 which is often sited as attributing to poor vision, the annoying thing though is that little is known/understood (Currently) as to what causes my condition as the diagnosis has only existed since 1988 and seems to affect only 1 in every 1000-2000 people.
    That is a very early age to have a computer! I don't think I really got into mucking around with computers and DOS until I was 8. It was fun just typing stuff into a green/black screen and getting a response at that stage

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    The condition is called Keratoconus (Link supplied if anyone happens to be curious), I hope none of you find yourselves being afflicted with it.
    The article mentions that its more severe if discovered during adolescence, so that's good news for you, Hursti! It seems like there is a good chance that the condition may degenerate to a level that requires a corneal transplant/graft, but on the bright side the surgery sounds safe and with vision being greatly improved after surgery. So in the uber-long term it looks like it will work out better again

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    That is a very early age to have a computer! I don't think I really got into mucking around with computers and DOS until I was 8. It was fun just typing stuff into a green/black screen and getting a response at that stage
    Indeed it was , it helped though that my Uncle worked/owned his own I.T. firm and wrote off a machine for us once it'd become obsolete - That was our 1st Pentium 186DX, after having previously owned an Amiga (From Grace Bros & told we'd never need anything more than a 40Mb HDD ) & a Commodore 64 (Prior to my ability to remember things ).

The article mentions that its more severe if discovered during adolescence, so that's good news for you, Hursti! It seems like there is a good chance that the condition may degenerate to a level that requires a corneal transplant/graft, but on the bright side the surgery sounds safe and with vision being greatly improved after surgery. So in the uber-long term it looks like it will work out better again
    Actually, it's better to of had it diagnosed as early as possible (Sadly, I was experiencing symptoms from the age of 12 but was none-the-wiser) as it only gets worse with time, oddly it stops at about 35-40y/o but by this time it is quite likely one would need a Cornea Transplant - Which said prospect freaks the hell out of me.

Being that I've been able to identify the affliction at age 27, it has made me an ideal candidate (apparently) for Collagen-Crosslinking - It's not a cure (As there isn't one) and the treatment is only 9y/o (So the long-term effects are unknown) but it has a very high success rate in halting the disease in its tracks & in 15% of cases has shown minor improvements to vision.

I hope that it doesn't get any worse, but now having to use glasses & being told that I'm medically unfit to ever hold a license or legally operate heavy equipment - I'm depressingly dependant on others (Or Public Transport) in order to get around (Apart from Push-bikes... or Horses), so yes things will hopefully be better in the end () but it still feels like I've had a degree of independence taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Just clicked that link and the image there freaked me out a little bit. Cor, extreme cases must hurt! Yowsers!
    Yeah, I really do not like the idea of a Cornea Transplant nor having my Corneas possibly tearing away from my eyes if the disease is left unattended.

Wow Hursti,
    That's pretty scary, I have glasses, but only because I've spent too much of my life reading.
    Hopefully it works out for the best, maybe something turns up in the medical world that reverses or even cures the problem.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)