Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 142429303132333435363738394454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread - comments and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    This was my Birthday lunch on Friday (06/06/14), friggin' orgasmic!

Gotta thank Azrael for bringing it to my attention ; The Double (Down) is back at KFC for this weekend only but apparently, according to Paulbot, it may be a NSW-only thing.
    Boy I boy, I want it. But it looks so... bad. I never got to try one when they had them in VIC.

That looks so wrong. How can you disrespect your body so?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    That looks so wrong. How can you disrespect your body so?
    You've seen me IRL dude, my temple is practically a ruin!

An online friend and I were talking about snacks we like recently and it got me thinking, how many snack foods, and foods in general do we have here that other countries don't have? what foods/dishes and snacks do we have that are unique to Australia, Originated in Australia and can only be obtained in Australia?

This may sound odd, but Pretzels and Nuttella are the most amazing combination I've ever tasted. Definitely worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by octopunchshotfisrt View Post
    This may sound odd, but Pretzels and Nuttella are the most amazing combination I've ever tasted. Definitely worth a try.
    Not really that weird. Chocolate coated pretzels are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    An online friend and I were talking about snacks we like recently and it got me thinking, how many snack foods, and foods in general do we have here that other countries don't have? what foods/dishes and snacks do we have that are unique to Australia, Originated in Australia and can only be obtained in Australia?
    As widely available foods, not sure. Dunno if US gets Tim Tams, but we are sending a bunch over to a friend. They don't have Vegemite either though.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Shapes is a favourite of mine that originated here, and only recently is being exported to some other countries... but no America, and it is something I think the Americans would love.

TimTams were mentioned already, and I think that's because the Americans have Oreos dominating the "cream-filled" biscuit market to make it difficult for any real competition breaking into the market.

Slow-cooked "Kettle/Red Rock" chips aren't very common in America. Considering their appetite (figure of speech) for potato chips & corn snacks in America, that's one that surprises me every year over there (when you see how much they dominate out store shelves now, compared to regular potato chips and corn chips).

Burger Rings and Twisties appear to be fairly unique to Australia, due to the dominance of the American Frito/Lays chip company in most western markets. Some countries have Twisties, but in places like New Zealand, they only have the Cheese flavour. (that was a couple years ago, so could have changed since then)

I remember a few years ago at a Los Angeles "International Food Market" of imported, uniquely national foods, the Australian shelves were very bare of anything unique.

I was out by a year... it was in 2008 at a Cincinnatti Food Market, with an international section. This was their Australian shelf...

Two shelves bare, and still the smallest section in the place.
    It's a little blurry, but the ones you can make out are Milo, Vegemite, Fountain sauces, Bushells tea, Australian salt... the rest were brands that I didn't even know were Australian, or brands that are foreign so probably release them elsewhere as well.

No snack food though, but since many snack-foods only have about 3-months shelf-life, they wouldn't be risking importing and hoping they sell fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Burger Rings and Twisties appear to be fairly unique to Australia, due to the dominance of the American Frito/Lays chip company in most western markets. Some countries have Twisties, but in places like New Zealand, they only have the Cheese flavour. (that was a couple years ago, so could have changed since then)
    Still only Cheese
    I am counting down the days till I come over, the first stop at the supermarket will be Chicken Twisties