Thread: Transformers still UK's most popular toy

Default Transformers still UK's most popular toy

Not news about actual upcoming toys, but news about the toys ...erm... if that makes sense:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225928028997

Mike Coogan, Toys 'R' Us Britain's Marketing Director, clearly has not done his research :

"Back in the '80s all the kids wanted to own the Transformers robots, and while they died out during the '90s they are hugely popular once again due to the 2007 movie which was based on the original series,” he added.
    A little of the mark in reality , marketing wise perhaps not?

Still, good news for the fans in the U.K.

The UK had worse TFs toy coverage in the last 15 years than Australia, and that's saying something with all the toys we missed and periods of no stock...

But reading that article, the title is actually wrong/deceptive. The article is about TRU in the UK celebrating 25 years, and mentioning all the brands that have done well during that time, *including, but not the best*, Transformers.

I think the author of that short 5-minute article is just a Transformers fan, and spun it accordingly.

Checking what appears to be the original source article of this 'lazy' short AUS news article, the element of Transformers is being mentioned because it is shown in the first year spot (1985), of the 25 years of TRU top sellers, and follow-up jounalists are foccussing on that being a toyline that is still around today (as if it equals 'best/most popular' toyline - it just means most enduring).

That original source article is actually more intersting, because it shows the best selling toys by UK TRU in the last 25 years, *as a reflection of toy-buying habits*, showing one-off trends/fads and the shift to electronic toys in recent years.

It's a testament to subjective, irresponsible, unreliable journalism though, that a press-release of the most popular toys for each of the 25 years at one UK toy chain, becomes distorted into a claim of it being the most popular toyline in the UK. Chances are, some of those other 'year's best sellers' have outsold TFs in the UK, due to the unreliable release of TFs in that country for over a decade now.
    Transformers wasn't even the best seller during any of the last 3 years on that 25-year chart, despite the journalist mentioning the recent movies - proof of creative journalism.

Not news to me really... Transformers has always been popular in my household
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I still remember when I got Energon Prime for Christmas in 1985... no wait I don't.

Yeah, that was a bit stupid of them... using a 2003 toy for their 'best selling 1985 toy' picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Mike Coogan, Toys 'R' Us Britain's Marketing Director, clearly has not done his research :

A little of the mark in reality , marketing wise perhaps not?

Still, good news for the fans in the U.K.
    The franchise came back big after a dry run in the late 90's. But it happened long before the live action movie. Armada and Energon seemed to bring life and interest back into the Transformers franchise in 2002-2004. That and the reissues I'd seen on news reports about enduring toy lines. Well, all that got my interest anyway, getting me back into the toys again. Most popular toy line in the UK, maybe not. Most enduring, maybe?. Most popular and enduring toy line for me yes after 25 years I'd say so .

From the article:
    while (the Transformers) died out during the '90s they are hugely popular once again due to the 2007 movie which was based on the original series,” he added.
    What incredible ignorance.

1/ The Transformers did NOT die out during the 1990s. Transformers was actually more successful in the UK (and European and Australasian markets) during the early 1990s compared to North American markets, as evidenced by the fact that G1 in Europe and Australasia actually outlasted North America.

2/ It was Beast Wars that made Transformers popular again in the latter half of the 1990s. And Hasbro UK's distribution of Beast Wars, while slower than North America, was decent - and in some cases better than Australia. Australia missed out on an entire wave of figures like Blackarachnia, Tigatron, Manterror, Bonecrusher, Cybershark etc., but those figures were all released in the UK. I personally got all of those toys from Japan and Scotland. The UK also had some exclusive figures like the Woolworth exclusive Transmetals.

Transformers was already hugely successful before the live action movies were made... while the movies have increased the awareness of popularity of Transformers even more, I would disagree with solely attributing the success of Transformers to the live action franchise.

This article shrieks of noobness to me. (-_-)

I wonder why distribution is poor. They have a sizable population and it's an English speaking nation (duh ) so fiction would not really require much translation.