Thread: Consumer law changes

Default Consumer law changes

Might be useful on the odd occassion when there is a discrepency between sticker price and scanning price.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/re...103-19duo.html
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I had something similar happen to me not long ago. The price tag on and gun game for the Wii had $40 on it, but when I took it to the counter he said it was $80 in the system. His excuse was that someone had removed the sticker that was on top of the $40 one. I could have fought it, but I just couldn't be bothered so I just told em to get stuffed.

And another time when Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out, EB had 2 versions, a tin box and normal cardboard box. Tin box was more expensive. We found one that had the price of the cardboard one on it, and they said that was wrong, it is this price. Realised we coulda fought that as well.

I think the average joe really doesn't have a clue when it comes to these sorts of discrepincies, that they are entitled to get it at the price that is stated on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    I think the average joe really doesn't have a clue when it comes to these sorts of discrepincies, that they are entitled to get it at the price that is stated on the box.
    Hasn't this always been the case? or does that just make me not average?
    Plenty of times I've had this sort of thing occur with the Attendant trying to tell me I had to pay the 'system' price, that is until I've mentioned what the law says and then it's all glares and fake smiles as they begrudgingly accept the 'marked' price.

Glad to hear that other states are finally catching up to NSW, the red-tape state.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Hasn't this always been the case?
    That's what I thought too
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

In regards to incorrect price stickers on items I thought that under the Trade Practices Act of 1974 this constitutes as an Invitation to Treat and not part of a binding contract i.e. the price of the item may say $40.00 when you pick it up off of the shelf but in reality the final price that matters is what the sales person determines at the register.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

Well at least there's scanners at department stores and the being able to ask store clerks to check the prices

Quote Originally Posted by Eruntalon View Post
    In regards to incorrect price stickers on items I thought that under the Trade Practices Act of 1974 this constitutes as an Invitation to Treat and not part of a binding contract i.e. the price of the item may say $40.00 when you pick it up off of the shelf but in reality the final price that matters is what the sales person determines at the register.
    Yes, but to put one price on the price tags and then sell it for a different price at the register can be perceived as false advertising/misleading customers. If an item is incorrectly priced, then the store does not have to sell it at the incorrectly advertised price, because as you said, it's an invitation to treat. However they also cannot proceed and sell the item at a price that was not the advertised price. The retailer legally has two options if an item is incorrectly priced:
    1: agree to sell the item to the customer at the incorrectly advertised price, or...
    2: withdraw the item from sale, then reprice the item correctly and make it available for sale at the corrected price (i.e. re-shelve it with a new price sticker)

I experienced this a few years back when I went to TRU and found a Darth Vader/Death Star Transformer sitting on a shelf with a price tag that said, "Star Wars Transformers $30". I took the toy to the register, and it scanned at $100, but I told the cashier about the price tag. She then had it checked, and sure enough it was advertised on shelf for $30. At this point TRU had only two choices - and they chose to sell it to me at the advertised price, which I didn't complain about They would have been equally entitled to withdraw the toy from sale, which I wouldn't have complained about either.

1: agree to sell the item to the customer at the incorrectly advertised price, or...
    2: withdraw the item from sale, then reprice the item correctly and make it available for sale at the corrected price (i.e. re-shelve it with a new price sticker)
    That's what the article above said, as being the national standard now... so people can't complain or demand that they have to sell an item at the lower price if the store doesn't want to (as per the second option stores have).