Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: MP-57 Masterpiece Skyfire Soars Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    MP Skyfire is likely to have harder plastic too, for greater durability and appearance of greater quality (it's like comparing Siege Hound with MP Hound, the type of plastics used is completely different)... which is probably another reason why there is limited detailing on the panels. It might also lead to it being less flexible on any really tight joints, and this is a big toy, which will increase the load-bearing requirement of joints and transformation panels.
    Didn't a lot of people have issues with their MP Hound breaking ?

I haven’t bought a proper Masterpiece in years but this does tickle my fancy as he is my favourite Transformer. The AU price is ridiculous though

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    MP Skyfire has a long face compared to how he appeared in the cartoon most of the time.
    <insert obligatory "Why the long face?" joke here>

The face seems to be proportionately the same as the cartoon model; between 2.5 nose lengths from brow to chin.

Bear in mind that the cartoon model here is show from a low angle vs the toy photo being taken from a front angle. Skyfire is often drawn from a low angle to emphasise how much larger he is compared to other Cybertronians. As such, his chin is often obscured by the top of the chest. I've taken the cartoon model and drawn it in to show how long it should be. The long face is the result of Jet/Skyfire's cartoon/comic model being derived from the Macross VF-1S Valkyrie. If you look at earlier versions of Skyfire's cartoon model, you can see how it evolved from the Macross Valkyrie to the final image. While many features were drastically changed, Jet/Skyfire's proportions are basically the same as the Macross Valkyrie, including the longish head. The TV commercial for G1 Jetfire uses the Mk I design for Jetfire's media model. AFAIK, Mk II and III have never made any media appearance; and obviously Mk IV is what Marvel and Sunbow ran with in the G1 comics and cartoon respectively.

Also, 2 dimensional images often look different in 3D. It's the reason why no 2D map of Earth can ever be as accurate as a globe (any more than a 2D map of a human face can look as realistic as a 3D sculpture; just ask G1 Ratchet and Ironhide ).

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Here's a new video of MP Skyfire with brief segments of it being transformed, especially between 0:29 to 0:50. Slowing the playback speed to x0.5 helps improve viewing experience.
    The video wasn't there (for me)... was it the same as the one from twitter a few posts up?

This was an official video from TakaraTomy, but doesn't have the transformation in the twitter video...

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    Yes, and TakaraTOMY's response was that a different plastic was used at the factory when Hound was mass-produced.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/02/09/...e-event-404884

Not that I've been paying close attention to news about subsequent Masterpiece figures, but I understand that since then, the only instances of of plastic cracking was on some joints on MP-52, so it seems that they're being careful with the plastic they're selecting.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The video wasn't there (for me)... was it the same as the one from twitter a few posts up?

It's not the same one as Twitter's. It has since been removed but someone uploaded again here.
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    Yes, although there have been no reports about this issue with any subsequent MPs, so it does appear that TakaraTOMY has addressed the issue since Hound.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    Just being immature here but I'm glad you filled your 1980's Jetfire hole. I never managed that
    Don't worry JITS, MP-57 should be plenty for you! Ha ha!

After watching the video, it looks like a straight forward transformation. I'm loving it, loving the minifigs (Wheeljack has his hypnochip disrupter from The Ultimate Doom) and also loving the lower-than-expected price - I really thought he'd be above $600.

A 30min review of MP-57 Skyfire by a Japanese reviewer. I wasn't expecting a review this early.