Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axing the Australia tax - a very slim chance of cheaper toys soon

Default Axing the Australia tax - a very slim chance of cheaper toys soon

The "Australia Tax" refers to items that are distributed by monopolies in this country, often by foreign-owned companies, that ends up making it cheaper to express-post the exact same item from another country.

Since branded toys by Mattel, Hasbro and Lego suffer from this "Australia Tax" situation, due to trademark protection and parallel importing restrictions on those trademarked products, our retailers are almost always charged more than what customers pay at retail in America.
    Regardless of what people can afford or wage rates, the wholesale prices are set before any of those customer and staff elements apply... and retailers need to pass on those higher prices to make a profit, if they want to keep selling that product or Brand. (if they dispute the wholesale prices, they risk being black-listed by a supplier, preventing them selling any of their products under the current monopoly anti-parallel-importing laws)

After many years of consumer groups (like Choice) highlighting and challenging the validity of the problem (and obviously the corruption of politicians putting their financial backers or personal financial interests before consumers/voter), a Competition Review Panel has drafted recommendations that include procedures to eliminate the situation that creates this "Australia Tax".

Unfortunately, these are just recommendations... which is far from becoming policy or being adopted and enforced. And when money is the central factor of policy, it will always be contaminated by corrupt people in charge, who protect their own interests and their friends and donors' interests.

At least it is a step in the right direction, on a long long road to fairer prices on Branded imported items.

If I can privately import toys from a secondary source in America like Amazon and still make a profit reselling them, imagine how much cheaper retail toys would be if they were allowed to bypass the local "authorised" distributors if they won't "price-match" or give a fair deal.

This was the graph I did up two years ago based on known or calculated cost breakdowns... and it is the yellow bar that is the "Australia Tax" that's being targeted. It should be the similar to what Hasbro America charges American retailers, based on just four expenses up until that point - production, transport, taxes, Hasbro profit - none of which are much different for us here for identical product shipped from the same country.

Fingers crossed something eventuates in our (consumers) favour... but we'll have to be very patient if it even does.

- Australia tax has to go but in a way that does not hurt Australian businesses (in most cases it won't).

- More specifically, it needs to go in a way that does not give the big Austalian stores ability to crush small business.

- Also, the GST may have to be introduced on sub-$1000 imports (which honesty is cheaper than the Australia tax anyway..)

- And i have't thought too much about all this because i cannot see it being addressed without enough consumer outrage to make it an election issue. And I don't see that happening anytime soon..
    Last edited by Deonasis; 25th September 2014 at 02:07 PM.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I think that it's extremely unlikely that we'll see any change -there's simply too much money involved. Can you imagine the sound of all those tears falling into their glasses of Chateau Margaux if it did?

Yeah right. I'll believe it when it happens and not a moment before.

Because heaps of reforms came out of the Apple/Adobe software enquiry
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I don't feel like we are that bad off for most products.

Employees at Walmart in the US make minimum wage (around $7 an hour) and don't get tips, at Woolworths here in Australia I make $23 an hour, I'm much better off on that metric alone.

Also the AUD has been around 90c US for a long time now, it's slipping a little but I doubt it will crash like the doom and gloom people are saying it will.

Plus we have GST here built into the price, the US doesn't build tax into the sticker price.

So taking that into account paying $99.95 here for a brand new Xbox One or PS4 game ain't bad when the US pays $60+tax. US games don't normally get discounted on release either, Australian retailers normally do discount on release tho. I feel like that type of price difference is fair, but would be better if the RRP was a little lower.

Toys on the other hand... I really feel ripped off on most of them. Small Lego sets seem OK priced, but on larger sets the price discrepancy if harder to swallow. I'm glad I can find 99% of their products in Australia, but get pissed of when one doesn't come out here and I have trouble importing the set.

Transformers, I really want to support Aussie retail jobs but first of all they don't stock Hasbro Generations or anything past Wave 1 of a series and Hasbro AU doesn't import Takara products (I really do wish Hasbro AU would get permission to import TT products like Hasbro HK).

Also Namco Bandai isn't releasing the Power Rangers product I want in Australia. No Legacy Zords or the US versions of the S.H. Figuarts Rangers.

Griff, do you have any idea why the Australia Tax isn't present on the new Disney Infinity toys? It's cheaper to pick one up in Australia than it is to buy in the US. $12AUD at Big W and Kmart, $14USD at Amazon.

Let's hope they don't make the import gst on purchases over $100 like Mr Harvey wants

Quote Originally Posted by theshape View Post
    Let's hope they don't make the import gst on purchases over $100 like Mr Harvey wants
    Oh you can bet the current Government will try at some point , gotta look after their mates in the Australian National Retailers Association after all.

And miss out on screwing the small guy? They've got their arm in up to the elbow, why not push a little harder and get to the shoulder.

Megatran Guest

^ Why stop at the shoulder? Put your whole body into it.

What about the prices in Europe? I don't know what they pay for Transformers, but I know for Lego they pay a similar price (usually only out by a small percent, sometimes higher, sometimes lower) as to what we pay.

For Lego it seems that there isn't so much an Australia Tax, but a USA discount. Could it be the same with other toys?
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|