Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia


Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > MOTU & POP - Classic & New

Sightings/Sales

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:47 PM
SGB's Avatar
SGB SGB is offline
Rank 1 - New/Inactive
 
Join Date: 22nd Feb 2009
Location: Illawarra
Posts: 1,113
Default My MOTU (and others) Cell Gallery

Just uploaded to my cel gallery pics of the He-Man, She-Ra, and Real Ghostbusters animation cels I received on Thursday. They're marked "New".

Some of the cels:

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:45 PM
SGB's Avatar
SGB SGB is offline
Rank 1 - New/Inactive
 
Join Date: 22nd Feb 2009
Location: Illawarra
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
You've got quite a sizeable collection there SGB
Thanks. I do wish I had more Voltron cels though ... they are pretty hard to get your hands on.

Quote:
are Animation Cels generally hard to come by or is it more dependant on the show?
It's usually dependant on the show and it's animation studio.

Cels from 70s/80s animes are, in my experience, the hardest to come by as the Japanese animation studios would usually throw out cels once a show finished due to lack of permanent space to store them. 70s/80s anime cels that have survived to date have only survived due to studio employees smuggling cels out of the studio or people rummaging through bins to salvage the cels after they've been thrown out.

In contrast to this, cels from American-animated productions are, from what I've seen, among the easiest to get as, to my knowledge, most of the studios would usually keep the cels and offload them some time later to wherever they could.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22nd January 2011, 10:11 PM
Hursticon's Avatar
Hursticon Hursticon is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 1st Mar 2010
Location: Dapto
Posts: 12,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGB View Post
Thanks. I do wish I had more Voltron cels though ... they are pretty hard to get your hands on.
I've no doubt you do dude, a Cel with Voltron (Lionforce) on it would look great with the Ro-Beasts ones you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGB View Post
It's usually dependant on the show and it's animation studio.

Cels from 70s/80s animes are, in my experience, the hardest to come by as the Japanese animation studios would usually throw out cels once a show finished due to lack of permanent space to store them. 70s/80s anime cels that have survived to date have only survived due to studio employees smuggling cels out of the studio or people rummaging through bins to salvage the cels after they've been thrown out.

In contrast to this, cels from American-animated productions are, from what I've seen, among the easiest to get as, to my knowledge, most of the studios would usually keep the cels and offload them some time later to wherever they could.
Ah, that actually makes quite a bit of sense because I know a lot of Western shows were made by Asian Studios and in some cases, French (Dic).

It is a true shame though that this sort of thing was 'turfed' due to storage reasons, it parallels the fabled 'purging' of BBC's own Recordings of many great shows for the same reason - forever loosing episodes of some iconic shows like Doctor Who's 1st 2 Doctors.

I honestly can't say I've seen many TF Cels around, like on eBay and such, so whilst the G1 cartoon was made by Sunbow Productions - was it actually Animated by an Asian studio and hence their scarcity?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22nd January 2011, 10:29 PM
SGB's Avatar
SGB SGB is offline
Rank 1 - New/Inactive
 
Join Date: 22nd Feb 2009
Location: Illawarra
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
I've no doubt you do dude, a Cel with Voltron (Lionforce) on it would look great with the Ro-Beasts ones you have.
Cels of Voltron himself are usually quite expensive and tend to be out of my budget. I've seen cels of Voltron go from several hundred dollars to $1000. Ouch!

The Voltron cels I have now were all luckily inexpensive. Most of them only cost me $25 each. Only downside is that all the Dairugger/Vehicle Voltron cels are stuck to their respective sketches.

Quote:
It is a true shame though that this sort of thing was 'turfed' due to storage reasons, it parallels the fabled 'purging' of BBC's own Recordings of many great shows for the same reason - forever loosing episodes of some iconic shows like Doctor Who's 1st 2 Doctors.
That's quite a good analogy/parallel. BBC were really foolish to tape over/throw out their 60s shows. Someone there at the time really lacked foresight.


Quote:
I honestly can't say I've seen many TF Cels around, like on eBay and such, so whilst the G1 cartoon was made by Sunbow Productions - was it actually Animated by an Asian studio and hence their scarcity?
Transformers was animated by Japanese animation company Toei. Toei were also responsible for animating Voltron/Golion/Dairugger, hence cels from both shows being scarce and hard to obtain.

Transformers cels are usually quite expensive due to them being in demand but scarce. I saw one of Arcee from the movie on ebay a few weeks back that sold for a BIN $500. I know a cel collector who has in a few instances paid close to $1000 for a single Transformers cel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22nd January 2011, 10:59 PM
Hursticon's Avatar
Hursticon Hursticon is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 1st Mar 2010
Location: Dapto
Posts: 12,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGB View Post
Cels of Voltron himself are usually quite expensive and tend to be out of my budget. I've seen cels of Voltron go from several hundred dollars to $1000. Ouch!
Oh wow! - that much?
I imagine that sort of price tag would no doubt put a fair few people off, but unfortunately even if one was to have the funds - they'd be so sort after that one could end up waiting/chasing one for quite sometime.
No wonder it's no doubt high up on your wishlist dude.


Quote:
The Voltron cels I have now were all luckily inexpensive. Most of them only cost me $25 each.
You see, that seems like a pretty reasonable price to me, but being that Animations Cels are like quite literally owning a piece of the Cartoon, it's understandable why some would fetch such insane prices.

Quote:
That's quite a good analogy/parallel. BBC were really foolish to tape over/throw out their 60s shows. Someone there at the time really lacked foresight.
Oh yeah man, without a doubt but I was amazed to learn that the footage of when the 1st Doctor regenerates into the 2nd survived - whilst it's ancient footage there is a certain magic and mystique about it.

Quote:
Transformers was animated by Japanese animation company Toei. Toei were also responsible for animating Voltron/Golion/Dairugger, hence cels from both shows being scarce and hard to obtain.
Hu... You know what? - You've reminded me of something that I already knew but for some reason do you think I could recall it?
(Just a bit of Brain Fart there )

Quote:
Transformers cels are usually quite expensive due to them being in demand but scarce. I saw one of Arcee from the movie on ebay a few weeks back that sold for a BIN $500. I know a cel collector who has in a few instances paid close to $1000 for a single Transformers cel.
Wow!
After reading what you've just told me, that's not terribly surprising huh?
$500 - $1000 is an insane amount of money when you think of it, no doubt you're into a highly competitive hobby SGB, do you find yourself often lucking out on TF Cels or do you just not bother with them?
(If so I can completely understand why. )
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:07 PM
SGB's Avatar
SGB SGB is offline
Rank 1 - New/Inactive
 
Join Date: 22nd Feb 2009
Location: Illawarra
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
Oh wow! - that much?
Yeah. Prices can also depend on wether or not a seller realises the value of the cels. Another factor in the price is if an original hand-painted background comes with the cels or not.


Quote:
$500 - $1000 is an insane amount of money when you think of it
It is. I usually pass on cels that are in that price range as it's just not affordable for me. Voltron cels may well be the exception though.

The reason my cel collection primarily consists of ones from He-Man, She-Ra and the Real Ghostbusters is because they're plentiful and quite inexpensive. Prices I've paid for them range from $5 to $45.


Quote:
no doubt you're into a highly competitive hobby SGB, do you find yourself often lucking out on TF Cels or do you just not bother with them?
I mostly don't bother as prices for Transformers cels are out of my budget.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:16 PM
griffin's Avatar
griffin griffin is offline
Rank 10 - Admin
 
Join Date: 24th May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31,434
Default

(moved these posts into their own topic, as they have generated a fair bit of interest)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:35 PM
Hursticon's Avatar
Hursticon Hursticon is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 1st Mar 2010
Location: Dapto
Posts: 12,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
(moved these posts into their own topic, as they have generated a fair bit of interest)
Fair enough dude, I did kind of derail huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGB View Post
Yeah. Prices can also depend on wether or not a seller realises the value of the cels. Another factor in the price is if an original hand-painted background comes with the cels or not.
Yeah, that would send the price up wouldn't it?
I noticed a couple of your own had the backgrounds, that's really luck and cool because they're both Artworks in their own right but together they form a much more 'complete' looking piece.

I really like art and it's processes for some reason, I'm horrible myself but things like the artistry in modern day comics I find incredible but when it come to TV/Movie productions, art produced by hand wins over CG every time for me - they're both art forms in their own right but there's just something about the old way of doing things that grabs me more.

Quote:
It is. I usually pass on cels that are in that price range as it's just not affordable for me. Voltron cels may well be the exception though.

The reason my cel collection primarily consists of ones from He-Man, She-Ra and the Real Ghostbusters is because they're plentiful and quite inexpensive. Prices I've paid for them range from $5 to $45.
Oh you've got to make an exception for Voltron.

Well, if you like them and they're in the more affordable range then that makes far more sense to me, especialy with He-Man's backgrounds.
Some of them were quite stunning pieces like where He-Man is raising his sword in front of Castle Greyskull, The artist paid so much attention to detail for that frame that on it's own it looks amazing, combined with He-Man though it's a truly epic and iconic scene.
Quote:
I mostly don't bother as prices for Transformers cels are out of my budget.
Yeah, I don't blame you dude.
I've seen one of Scorponok on eBay recently but I didn't even bother to click on it because it was only around $25USD and for some reason it just seemed of to me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:21 AM
SGB's Avatar
SGB SGB is offline
Rank 1 - New/Inactive
 
Join Date: 22nd Feb 2009
Location: Illawarra
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
I noticed a couple of your own had the backgrounds, that's really luck and cool because they're both Artworks in their own right but together they form a much more 'complete' looking piece.
Yes, even though almost all of the backgrounds aren't matching, they do compliment the cels nicely.


Quote:
art produced by hand wins over CG every time for me - they're both art forms in their own right but there's just something about the old way of doing things that grabs me more.
Ditto.


Quote:
Well, if you like them and they're in the more affordable range then that makes far more sense to me, especialy with He-Man's backgrounds.
Some of them were quite stunning pieces like where He-Man is raising his sword in front of Castle Greyskull, The artist paid so much attention to detail for that frame that on it's own it looks amazing, combined with He-Man though it's a truly epic and iconic scene.
Y'know, before I started collecting cels I never held the He-Man and She-Ra animation in high regard, but after getting my first cels from both shows and seeing the details on them, I gained a sudden appreciation and respect of the animation and the work the animators put into it given the constraints they had.


Quote:
I've seen one of Scorponok on eBay recently but I didn't even bother to click on it because it was only around $25USD and for some reason it just seemed of to me.
Was that of Scorponok from one of the Japanese BW toons?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:29 AM
Hursticon's Avatar
Hursticon Hursticon is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 1st Mar 2010
Location: Dapto
Posts: 12,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGB View Post
Y'know, before I started collecting cels I never held the He-Man and She-Ra animation in high regard, but after getting my first cels from both shows and seeing the details on them, I gained a sudden appreciation and respect of the animation and the work the animators put into it given the constraints they had.
I actually felt that way about He-Man in general, but after having watched the 200x series I've grown to quite like the franchise, which is bad for my wallet , but the original animation was quite good for it's constraints as you say - Nothing will ever help Hanna Barbera's vomit inducing efforts with Gobots though.

Quote:
Was that of Scorponok from one of the Japanese BW toons?
I... Don't think it was, here is a link though and it's cheaper than I thought.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.