Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Botcon 2014 Figure Reveals

Colour me impressed

I was on the fence until I saw Devcon, now I am well and truly sold. I will be getting the non-attendee set again this year.

The jet mode of the Scorponok toy has been released, which probably wasn't necessary, as that mode could have been "dropped" for this Gen1 homage.

(and the colours end up being all over the place in that mode, so doesn't look too nice to me in that mode - the other modes are good though)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The jet mode of the Scorponok toy has been released, which probably wasn't necessary, as that mode could have been "dropped" for this Gen1 homage.

(and the colours end up being all over the place in that mode, so doesn't look too nice to me in that mode - the other modes are good though)
    Dammit that did it for me - now I need this. Really like the idea of Olin Zarak sitting in the pilot seat of Scorponok (which makes more sense than a flying space-scorpion).

Your mention of the colours being all over the place made me realise what was wrong with the original robot/scorpion modes to me (aside from the liberal use of orange plastic): the claws are not entirely purple - which is quite critical when you need to tell off nosey Autobots.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Showing off his jet mode does absolutely nothing for me. I want him for his scorpion mode and robot mode. He'll fit well into the classics shelf.

I really-REALLY want a contemporary (Classicsverse) update to G1 Headmasters Scorponok , he's one of my absolute favourite G1 toys and I have to admit that FunPub have done a bloody good effort with this Botcon 2014 offering , however...

I wonder what the Indy Transforming Robot scene can/will produce? - As rumour has it apparently that both MakeToys & PerfectEffect have offerings in the pipeline that will likely have prices comparable to this figure once it hits the secondary market.

Hrm, as much as I want that Scorponok, I find it mildly amusing that the only thing that piques my interest in this year's set is a character that is an update to his G1 self.

Old Scorps certainly doesn't look piratey in the slightest.

COngrats Funpub. Once again you're best ideas are ones not thought up by yourselves.

No, really, I love those guys

Sorry I don't find that Scorp mold very good to start with so still no excitement this end. I think I have 3 of them already

The first one (Energon) was a bizarre mix of colours (almost as many different colours as Gen1 Thunderclash).
    The second one (Superlink) was nicer with mostly green and gold.
    The third one (Cybertron) went back to a combination of too many different colours, but not as many as the Energon one.
    And the fourth one (BotCon 2010) was a nice homage to a toy (Actionmaster Doublepunch) that was already based on the original Scorponok/Black Zarak form.

I wonder if they had trouble deciding whether they should do Scorponok (for a larger "Hasbro" following or sales-potential) or Black Zarak (for their smaller committed "cultish" following and a more plausible tie-in to their Pirate theme).

If the toy was a Deluxe, I'd have liked to see it done as Beast Wars Scorponok to go with the 2006 BotCon BW toys... because so far there are only three show character Predacons, but eight show Maximals. (or 4 to 7 if you count Dinobot as a Predacon)

This is pretty cool, I don't have this mold, so it's cool to be getting a "new" mold in the set.

The redesign of the head to fit a G1 headmaster is a very nice touch. The third mode of a "space Jet" makes more sense to me than a city, especially for a space pirate.

Was this mold good for it's time? is it something that will look alright amongst more modern toys. How big is this toy, I get the impression that it's about a ultra size class?

there's not going to be a whole lot of foam in this box is there, they have stated that they've managed to keep the box size the same.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I wonder if they had trouble deciding whether they should do Scorponok (for a larger "Hasbro" following or sales-potential) or Black Zarak (for their smaller committed "cultish" following and a more plausible tie-in to their Pirate theme).
    If they hadn't already done Doublepunch, I suspect they would have done Black Zarak for his Zone pirateyness. If they can recolour anyone into Halfshell, Scylla, Coelagon, Terrormander or Sea Phantom they should do that too. And if they have access to the Armada Starscream Generations mould yet, I suspect they'll try to make a Skywarp from it.